Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
The protection of foreign currency reserves, which was one of priorities of Azerbaijan for 2016, has also been ensured, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The work done in Azerbaijan last year was given positive assessment by international financial organizations, the president said Tuesday, addressing a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers, dedicated to the results of socioeconomic development of 2016 and objectives for the future, APA reported.
“Unlike other oil-producing countries, Azerbaijan made efficient use of the State Oil Fund,” President Aliyev said. “The Davos Economic Forum placed Azerbaijan’s economy in the 30th place for its competitiveness. Even in these years of crisis, more than 100,000 new jobs have been created.”
The president noted that $8 billion foreign and $3.7 domestic investment was made in Azerbaijan’s economy last year.
He said that 2016 will be recalled as a year of substantial economic reforms, adding that the decisions made the development of the non-oil sector will continue to be a priority.
The head of state also noted that the three- or four-fold drop in oil prices did result in some decrease in the GDP but the non-oil sector and agriculture saw 5% and 2.6% increase.
“These two particular figures allow us to say that we managed to come out of this thorny crisis with our head held high,” President Aliyev said, adding. “The work done so far and steps to be taken this year will add to this trend. There will be increased employment. I’m convinced that we will achieve all these goals.”
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys great respect in Islamic world
- 10.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev pays condolence visit to Iranian embassy in Baku
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 09.01.2017UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'