Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
The protection of foreign currency reserves, which was one of priorities of Azerbaijan for 2016, has also been ensured, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The work done in Azerbaijan last year was given positive assessment by international financial organizations, the president said Tuesday, addressing a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers, dedicated to the results of socioeconomic development of 2016 and objectives for the future, APA reported.
“Unlike other oil-producing countries, Azerbaijan made efficient use of the State Oil Fund,” President Aliyev said. “The Davos Economic Forum placed Azerbaijan’s economy in the 30th place for its competitiveness. Even in these years of crisis, more than 100,000 new jobs have been created.”
The president noted that $8 billion foreign and $3.7 domestic investment was made in Azerbaijan’s economy last year.
He said that 2016 will be recalled as a year of substantial economic reforms, adding that the decisions made the development of the non-oil sector will continue to be a priority.
The head of state also noted that the three- or four-fold drop in oil prices did result in some decrease in the GDP but the non-oil sector and agriculture saw 5% and 2.6% increase.
“These two particular figures allow us to say that we managed to come out of this thorny crisis with our head held high,” President Aliyev said, adding. “The work done so far and steps to be taken this year will add to this trend. There will be increased employment. I’m convinced that we will achieve all these goals.”
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys great respect in Islamic world
- 10.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev pays condolence visit to Iranian embassy in Baku
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 09.01.2017UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'