Ilgar Mammadov sentenced to 7-year imprisonment and Tofig Yagublu to 5-year imprisonment - UPDATED
Lawyer Nizami Abbasov told APA that under the judgment of court, 3 accused persons were sentenced to 8-year imprisonment.
8 people got suspended sentence. Ilgar Mammadov was sentenced to 7-year imprisonment, Tofig Yagublu and Elshan Gurbanov to 5-year imprisonment.
The joint statement issued by the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry said that the acts of hooliganism of administrator of “Chirag” hotel, drunken Emil Shamsaddinov and his relative Elmaddin Mammadov, who damaged private property, caused mass incident in Ismayilli region on January 23. As a result of this, a group of people gathered at the site burnt “Chirag” hotel and the various cars. According to their illegal actions, Emil Shamsaddinov and Elmaddin Mammadov were brought to account and sentenced to pretrial detention.
The Investigation Department for Grave Crimes under the Prosecutor General’s Office has launched a criminal case on the fact, investigative group consisting of employees of prosecutor’s office and police officers has been established.
Residents of the region Vasif Ibrahimov, Shukran Muhubaliyev, Shakir Mustafayev, Jeyhun Abbasov, Jafar Jafarov and ex-prisoner Elshan Gurbanov, who violated public order, intentionally damaged private property, used force against government representatives and actively participated in the incidents, at the same time Sakhavat Samadov and Khayal Sharanov, who robbed two TV sets, one sofa and arm-chair from the burnt “Chirag” hotel, were charged with relevant articles of Criminal Code and sentenced to pretrial detention.
52 more people, who roughly violated the public order, were detained. 23 of them were sentenced to administrative arrest, 12 punished administratively and 14 released after warning. The detained and arrested persons were explained their rights and duties and each of them were provided by human rights activist following their arrests.
Investigations also revealed that Deputy Chairman of Musavat Party Tofig Yagublu and co-chairman of
Musavat Party deputy chairman Tofig Yagublu and chairman of “
The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan has issued a statement on the court hearing. The Embassy told APA that they are deeply disappointed about the judgment of the court.
“Before and during the trial we told government representatives that we're hoping for open and fair judicial process. Welcoming the permission given by the Azerbaijani government to the US and other international observers to follow the process, we state that we have detected serious violations in the testimonies of witnesses and court proceedings,” says the statement.
The embassy’s statement noted that the court's judgment is not based on evidences.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijan establishes presidential stipend for Chernobyl veterans
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijani President increases pensions for war veterans
- 18.03.2014Azerbaijan celebrates "Earth Tuesday" before Novruz in Azerbaijan.
- 17.03.2014Ali Hasanov: “Some trends have recently attempted to use Azerbaijani journalists against the state and national interests”
- 17.03.2014President Ilham Aliyev views exposition at Shirvanshah`s Palace - PHOTOSESSION
- 17.03.2014President dismisses deputy chairman of Azerbaijan Caspian Sea Shipping CSC Mubariz Medetov - EXCLUSIVE