Ilgar Mammadov sentenced to 7-year imprisonment and Tofig Yagublu to 5-year imprisonment - UPDATED
Lawyer Nizami Abbasov told APA that under the judgment of court, 3 accused persons were sentenced to 8-year imprisonment.
8 people got suspended sentence. Ilgar Mammadov was sentenced to 7-year imprisonment, Tofig Yagublu and Elshan Gurbanov to 5-year imprisonment.
The joint statement issued by the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry said that the acts of hooliganism of administrator of “Chirag” hotel, drunken Emil Shamsaddinov and his relative Elmaddin Mammadov, who damaged private property, caused mass incident in Ismayilli region on January 23. As a result of this, a group of people gathered at the site burnt “Chirag” hotel and the various cars. According to their illegal actions, Emil Shamsaddinov and Elmaddin Mammadov were brought to account and sentenced to pretrial detention.
The Investigation Department for Grave Crimes under the Prosecutor General’s Office has launched a criminal case on the fact, investigative group consisting of employees of prosecutor’s office and police officers has been established.
Residents of the region Vasif Ibrahimov, Shukran Muhubaliyev, Shakir Mustafayev, Jeyhun Abbasov, Jafar Jafarov and ex-prisoner Elshan Gurbanov, who violated public order, intentionally damaged private property, used force against government representatives and actively participated in the incidents, at the same time Sakhavat Samadov and Khayal Sharanov, who robbed two TV sets, one sofa and arm-chair from the burnt “Chirag” hotel, were charged with relevant articles of Criminal Code and sentenced to pretrial detention.
52 more people, who roughly violated the public order, were detained. 23 of them were sentenced to administrative arrest, 12 punished administratively and 14 released after warning. The detained and arrested persons were explained their rights and duties and each of them were provided by human rights activist following their arrests.
Investigations also revealed that Deputy Chairman of Musavat Party Tofig Yagublu and co-chairman of
Musavat Party deputy chairman Tofig Yagublu and chairman of “
The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan has issued a statement on the court hearing. The Embassy told APA that they are deeply disappointed about the judgment of the court.
“Before and during the trial we told government representatives that we're hoping for open and fair judicial process. Welcoming the permission given by the Azerbaijani government to the US and other international observers to follow the process, we state that we have detected serious violations in the testimonies of witnesses and court proceedings,” says the statement.
The embassy’s statement noted that the court's judgment is not based on evidences.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijan establishes presidential stipend for Chernobyl veterans
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijani President increases pensions for war veterans
- 18.03.2014Azerbaijan celebrates "Earth Tuesday" before Novruz in Azerbaijan.
- 17.03.2014Ali Hasanov: “Some trends have recently attempted to use Azerbaijani journalists against the state and national interests”
- 17.03.2014President Ilham Aliyev views exposition at Shirvanshah`s Palace - PHOTOSESSION
- 17.03.2014President dismisses deputy chairman of Azerbaijan Caspian Sea Shipping CSC Mubariz Medetov - EXCLUSIVE