Ilgar Mammadov sentenced to 7-year imprisonment and Tofig Yagublu to 5-year imprisonment - UPDATED
Lawyer Nizami Abbasov told APA that under the judgment of court, 3 accused persons were sentenced to 8-year imprisonment.
8 people got suspended sentence. Ilgar Mammadov was sentenced to 7-year imprisonment, Tofig Yagublu and Elshan Gurbanov to 5-year imprisonment.
The joint statement issued by the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry said that the acts of hooliganism of administrator of “Chirag” hotel, drunken Emil Shamsaddinov and his relative Elmaddin Mammadov, who damaged private property, caused mass incident in Ismayilli region on January 23. As a result of this, a group of people gathered at the site burnt “Chirag” hotel and the various cars. According to their illegal actions, Emil Shamsaddinov and Elmaddin Mammadov were brought to account and sentenced to pretrial detention.
The Investigation Department for Grave Crimes under the Prosecutor General’s Office has launched a criminal case on the fact, investigative group consisting of employees of prosecutor’s office and police officers has been established.
Residents of the region Vasif Ibrahimov, Shukran Muhubaliyev, Shakir Mustafayev, Jeyhun Abbasov, Jafar Jafarov and ex-prisoner Elshan Gurbanov, who violated public order, intentionally damaged private property, used force against government representatives and actively participated in the incidents, at the same time Sakhavat Samadov and Khayal Sharanov, who robbed two TV sets, one sofa and arm-chair from the burnt “Chirag” hotel, were charged with relevant articles of Criminal Code and sentenced to pretrial detention.
52 more people, who roughly violated the public order, were detained. 23 of them were sentenced to administrative arrest, 12 punished administratively and 14 released after warning. The detained and arrested persons were explained their rights and duties and each of them were provided by human rights activist following their arrests.
Investigations also revealed that Deputy Chairman of Musavat Party Tofig Yagublu and co-chairman of
Musavat Party deputy chairman Tofig Yagublu and chairman of “
The U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan has issued a statement on the court hearing. The Embassy told APA that they are deeply disappointed about the judgment of the court.
“Before and during the trial we told government representatives that we're hoping for open and fair judicial process. Welcoming the permission given by the Azerbaijani government to the US and other international observers to follow the process, we state that we have detected serious violations in the testimonies of witnesses and court proceedings,” says the statement.
The embassy’s statement noted that the court's judgment is not based on evidences.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijan establishes presidential stipend for Chernobyl veterans
- 17.03.2014Azerbaijani President increases pensions for war veterans
- 18.03.2014Azerbaijan celebrates "Earth Tuesday" before Novruz in Azerbaijan.
- 17.03.2014Ali Hasanov: “Some trends have recently attempted to use Azerbaijani journalists against the state and national interests”
- 17.03.2014President Ilham Aliyev views exposition at Shirvanshah`s Palace - PHOTOSESSION
- 17.03.2014President dismisses deputy chairman of Azerbaijan Caspian Sea Shipping CSC Mubariz Medetov - EXCLUSIVE