Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev always demonstrates his commitment to the ideas and principles of humanism, and the pardoning of Alexander Lapshin should also be regarded as another step taken for humanitarian purposes, the president’s aide for work with law enforcement agencies and military issues, Fuad Alasgarov, told AZERTAC.
“In connection with Lapshin’s case, two legal procedures were considered in parallel – his extradition to Israel, of which he is a citizen, or pardoning. Mr. President signed an order to pardon him after considering his sincere regrets both in trials and his appeals addressed to the Azerbaijani president over the crime he committed, his recognition of the country’s territorial integrity, marital status and especially being a father of a minor child.
Asked about Lapshin’s possible transfer to Israel, Alasgarov replied some media outlets reported that the blogger will be extradited or handed over to another country.
"However, certain juridical notions are mixed up, since the issue of handing Lapshin over to some state following the pardon is not on the agenda. According to international conventions, the purpose of transferring a sentenced person to another country is to ensure the continuation of his/her sentence in the country he/she is a citizen of. Upon Mr. President's pardon order, Alexander Lapshin became exempt from serving the rest of his sentence and he is free to choose where to go. We have information that Lapshin wishes to go to Israel, where he is a citizen. He is in good health and can go to Israel at any time,” he added.
The president’s aide also commented on the release of Mehman Aliyev, director general of Turan News Agency.
He said that Mehman Aliyev personally appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be changed.
“The president, once again guided by the principled of humanism, immediately responded to this appeal and recommended considering the possibility of replacing the measure of restraint. I’d like to emphasize that the president’s appeal on this issue to the prosecuting and judicial authorities was not made in the form of an instruction, but in the form of a recommendation,” said Alasgarov.
He noted that the recent decisions on the release of Mehman Aliyev, as well as the conditional release of a number of persons arrested over Nardaran incidents are in line with the ideas and principles reflected in the presidential order (dated February 10, 2017) on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
“By the way, the statistical calculations conducted after the signing of this order indicate that the number of people arrested during the investigation decreased by 30 percent. I should note that the work on the execution of instructions arising from this order is continuing. Thus, proposals prepared to amend the Criminal Code for this purpose have already been submitted to the parliament by the president. Work on amendments to the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Code of Execution of Penalties is nearing completion. Amendments to all three codes are likely to come into force at the same time,” he added.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations