Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev always demonstrates his commitment to the ideas and principles of humanism, and the pardoning of Alexander Lapshin should also be regarded as another step taken for humanitarian purposes, the president’s aide for work with law enforcement agencies and military issues, Fuad Alasgarov, told AZERTAC.
“In connection with Lapshin’s case, two legal procedures were considered in parallel – his extradition to Israel, of which he is a citizen, or pardoning. Mr. President signed an order to pardon him after considering his sincere regrets both in trials and his appeals addressed to the Azerbaijani president over the crime he committed, his recognition of the country’s territorial integrity, marital status and especially being a father of a minor child.
Asked about Lapshin’s possible transfer to Israel, Alasgarov replied some media outlets reported that the blogger will be extradited or handed over to another country.
"However, certain juridical notions are mixed up, since the issue of handing Lapshin over to some state following the pardon is not on the agenda. According to international conventions, the purpose of transferring a sentenced person to another country is to ensure the continuation of his/her sentence in the country he/she is a citizen of. Upon Mr. President's pardon order, Alexander Lapshin became exempt from serving the rest of his sentence and he is free to choose where to go. We have information that Lapshin wishes to go to Israel, where he is a citizen. He is in good health and can go to Israel at any time,” he added.
The president’s aide also commented on the release of Mehman Aliyev, director general of Turan News Agency.
He said that Mehman Aliyev personally appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be changed.
“The president, once again guided by the principled of humanism, immediately responded to this appeal and recommended considering the possibility of replacing the measure of restraint. I’d like to emphasize that the president’s appeal on this issue to the prosecuting and judicial authorities was not made in the form of an instruction, but in the form of a recommendation,” said Alasgarov.
He noted that the recent decisions on the release of Mehman Aliyev, as well as the conditional release of a number of persons arrested over Nardaran incidents are in line with the ideas and principles reflected in the presidential order (dated February 10, 2017) on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
“By the way, the statistical calculations conducted after the signing of this order indicate that the number of people arrested during the investigation decreased by 30 percent. I should note that the work on the execution of instructions arising from this order is continuing. Thus, proposals prepared to amend the Criminal Code for this purpose have already been submitted to the parliament by the president. Work on amendments to the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Code of Execution of Penalties is nearing completion. Amendments to all three codes are likely to come into force at the same time,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations