Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev always demonstrates his commitment to the ideas and principles of humanism, and the pardoning of Alexander Lapshin should also be regarded as another step taken for humanitarian purposes, the president’s aide for work with law enforcement agencies and military issues, Fuad Alasgarov, told AZERTAC.
“In connection with Lapshin’s case, two legal procedures were considered in parallel – his extradition to Israel, of which he is a citizen, or pardoning. Mr. President signed an order to pardon him after considering his sincere regrets both in trials and his appeals addressed to the Azerbaijani president over the crime he committed, his recognition of the country’s territorial integrity, marital status and especially being a father of a minor child.
Asked about Lapshin’s possible transfer to Israel, Alasgarov replied some media outlets reported that the blogger will be extradited or handed over to another country.
"However, certain juridical notions are mixed up, since the issue of handing Lapshin over to some state following the pardon is not on the agenda. According to international conventions, the purpose of transferring a sentenced person to another country is to ensure the continuation of his/her sentence in the country he/she is a citizen of. Upon Mr. President's pardon order, Alexander Lapshin became exempt from serving the rest of his sentence and he is free to choose where to go. We have information that Lapshin wishes to go to Israel, where he is a citizen. He is in good health and can go to Israel at any time,” he added.
The president’s aide also commented on the release of Mehman Aliyev, director general of Turan News Agency.
He said that Mehman Aliyev personally appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be changed.
“The president, once again guided by the principled of humanism, immediately responded to this appeal and recommended considering the possibility of replacing the measure of restraint. I’d like to emphasize that the president’s appeal on this issue to the prosecuting and judicial authorities was not made in the form of an instruction, but in the form of a recommendation,” said Alasgarov.
He noted that the recent decisions on the release of Mehman Aliyev, as well as the conditional release of a number of persons arrested over Nardaran incidents are in line with the ideas and principles reflected in the presidential order (dated February 10, 2017) on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
“By the way, the statistical calculations conducted after the signing of this order indicate that the number of people arrested during the investigation decreased by 30 percent. I should note that the work on the execution of instructions arising from this order is continuing. Thus, proposals prepared to amend the Criminal Code for this purpose have already been submitted to the parliament by the president. Work on amendments to the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Code of Execution of Penalties is nearing completion. Amendments to all three codes are likely to come into force at the same time,” he added.
Related news releases
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 01.06.2018MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations