FM: Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting efforts of OSCE Minsk Group to settle Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting the negotiation process to settle the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group, said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov, commenting on anti-Azerbaijan statement of Armenian Foreign Minister at a meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council meeting in Hamburg, APA reports.
"Azerbaijan, as noted in the last statement of foreign ministers of co-chair states of the OSCE Minsk Group, will continue its efforts to resolve the conflict through substantive negotiations", - said the Minister.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister also expressed confidence that the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country will be restored within internationally recognized borders.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Samukh district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Goygol
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Goygol district for visit
- 18.08.2017Former heads of state and government to attend Global Young Leaders Forum in Baku
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Ramil Guliyev, World Athletics Champion
- 11.08.2017Car bomb blast in Somali capital kills 1
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president attends opening of new roads in former “Sovetski”
- 08.08.2017President signs order on application of law "On the rules of conduct of the members of the Milli Majlis"
- 03.08.2017President: ‘Self-employment program should be prevalent in Azerbaijan’
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Balakan district
- 31.07.2017Chingiz Ganizade awarded Shohrat Order
- 31.07.2017Interior Ministry issues statement about special operation conducted in Hajigabul
- 26.07.2017President Aliyev awards Ali Gojayev with order
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 10.12.2016OSCE MG needs cardinal changes in its activity – Deputy PM
- 10.12.2016Gabala hosting 10th meeting attended by former presidents and PMs
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat:
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests