FM: Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting efforts of OSCE Minsk Group to settle Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting the negotiation process to settle the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group, said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov, commenting on anti-Azerbaijan statement of Armenian Foreign Minister at a meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council meeting in Hamburg, APA reports.
"Azerbaijan, as noted in the last statement of foreign ministers of co-chair states of the OSCE Minsk Group, will continue its efforts to resolve the conflict through substantive negotiations", - said the Minister.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister also expressed confidence that the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country will be restored within internationally recognized borders.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.12.2016OSCE MG needs cardinal changes in its activity – Deputy PM
- 10.12.2016Gabala hosting 10th meeting attended by former presidents and PMs
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat:
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests