FM: Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting efforts of OSCE Minsk Group to settle Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
Armenian side's statements are aimed at disrupting the negotiation process to settle the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group, said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov, commenting on anti-Azerbaijan statement of Armenian Foreign Minister at a meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council meeting in Hamburg, APA reports.
"Azerbaijan, as noted in the last statement of foreign ministers of co-chair states of the OSCE Minsk Group, will continue its efforts to resolve the conflict through substantive negotiations", - said the Minister.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister also expressed confidence that the Armenian troops will be withdrawn from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country will be restored within internationally recognized borders.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 16.06.201714th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges
- 14.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev views reconstruction work in Jojug Marjanli village
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s ruling party holds event on National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani economy to enter a new stage: deputy PM
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of late Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 13.06.2017Last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session to take place on June 30
- 13.06.2017Notions of terrorist and terror broadened in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins extraordinary session
- 13.06.2017Russia would not have allowed to manipulate itself if joined NATO
- 12.06.2017Flights canceled, trains suspended as China braces for Typhoon
- 12.06.2017Deputy Heads of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 09.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences over death of Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 08.06.2017Iranian embassy in Azerbaijan makes statement on terrorist attacks in Tehran
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani expanding notion of terrorist and terror
- 06.06.2017Prosecutor General: Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry played a great role in exposing spy network
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan has effective mechanism to combat corruption: prosecutor general
- 06.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Human rights and freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Families of people killed combating terrorism to get 90-fold of the deceased’s salary
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan increases number of deputy justice ministers
- 05.06.2017Elchin Guliyev appointed head of Azerbaijan’s State Border Service
- 02.06.2017Assistant to first vice-president: Azerbaijan is passing through important stage of reforms - INTERVIEW
- 01.06.2017Maharram Aliyev relieved of his duties
- 01.06.2017Institute of advisers under Azerbaijani Presidential Administration abolished
- 01.06.2017New departments created in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant for defense issues dismissed
- 10.12.2016OSCE MG needs cardinal changes in its activity – Deputy PM
- 10.12.2016Gabala hosting 10th meeting attended by former presidents and PMs
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat:
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests