EU says cooperation with Azerbaijan entering new stage
The European Union and Azerbaijan are entering a new stage of cooperation, Kestutis Jankauskas, Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan said on Wednesday.
He made the remarks at an event dedicated to the outcomes of the Twinning Project “Support to the Strengthening of the Commissioner for Human Rights (Ombudsman) of the Republic of Azerbaijan”, implemented jointly by the EU and the Office of the Ombudsman.
The EU and Azerbaijan is working on a new agreement which will form the basis for future cooperation, said the envoy.
Jankauskas noted that the EU has allocated 1.3 million euros for the implementation of the project.
“I hope that the Ombudsman's Office will have a greater potential thanks to this project. Within the framework of the project, strategies for children, disabled people have been prepared, and a modern system plan for information management has been developed,” said the EU envoy.
He went on to say that democracy, the rule of law and protection of human rights are values to which the EU is committed. "I hope these values will be reflected in a new document to be signed between Azerbaijan and the EU, and these factors will be the main value in the work of the Ombudsman’s Office and other institutions,” said Jankauskas.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2018Above 55,000 local observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 24.03.2018CEC: Over 300 int'l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 24.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers 4 exit poll organizations for presidential election
- 24.03.2018CEC registers four organizations seeking to hold “exit-poll” during presidential elections
- 24.03.2018Four organizations apply to CEC to hold “exit-poll” during presidential elections
- 24.03.2018CEC begins publishing voting bulletins for upcoming presidential elections
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC: Necessary measures underway to ensure participation of all voters in presidential election
- 22.03.2018Application time expires for organizations seeking accrediation to hold ‘exit-poll’ during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 31.01.2018Tofig Aghahuseynov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party announces Ilham Aliyev as its presidential candidate
- 01.02.2018New CEO of PASHA Bank Georgia appointed
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijan developing new bill on Border Troops
- 31.01.2018Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 134th birth anniversary
- 30.01.2018President: "There is no problem with the development of the country's economy"