Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
Casualties among Afghan security forces remain "shockingly high", according to a report from a U.S. watchdog body published on Monday that put the death toll at 807 and the number of injured at 1,328 in the first two months of the year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The watchdog, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), was set up to review the effectiveness of U.S. support programs.
"Afghanistan remains in the grip of a deadly war," the report said. "Casualties suffered by the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in the fight against the Taliban and other insurgents continue to be shockingly high."
It said the casualty figures were from the period Jan. 1 to Feb. 24. They were obtained from the U.S. military and were based on operational reporting and may differ from official statistics provided by the Afghan government and ministries.
There has been little let-up in violence targeting Afghan forces since the period covered in the report. On April 21 an attack by militants on an army base in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif killed 135 soldiers, according to official figures, and twice that number by other accounts.
In a report released in February, SIGAR said at least 6,785 Afghan soldiers and police had been killed in the first 10 months of 2016. Civilian casualties last year totaled 3,498 killed and 7,920 wounded, making it the deadliest year on record for civilians.
From January to March this year, 715 civilians were killed and 1,466 wounded.
The figures come as the U.S. weighs its future strategy for Afghanistan, where it has already spent more than $115 billion in reconstruction efforts.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan parliament begins discussion of 2018 state budget package
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties