Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
Casualties among Afghan security forces remain "shockingly high", according to a report from a U.S. watchdog body published on Monday that put the death toll at 807 and the number of injured at 1,328 in the first two months of the year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The watchdog, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), was set up to review the effectiveness of U.S. support programs.
"Afghanistan remains in the grip of a deadly war," the report said. "Casualties suffered by the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in the fight against the Taliban and other insurgents continue to be shockingly high."
It said the casualty figures were from the period Jan. 1 to Feb. 24. They were obtained from the U.S. military and were based on operational reporting and may differ from official statistics provided by the Afghan government and ministries.
There has been little let-up in violence targeting Afghan forces since the period covered in the report. On April 21 an attack by militants on an army base in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif killed 135 soldiers, according to official figures, and twice that number by other accounts.
In a report released in February, SIGAR said at least 6,785 Afghan soldiers and police had been killed in the first 10 months of 2016. Civilian casualties last year totaled 3,498 killed and 7,920 wounded, making it the deadliest year on record for civilians.
From January to March this year, 715 civilians were killed and 1,466 wounded.
The figures come as the U.S. weighs its future strategy for Afghanistan, where it has already spent more than $115 billion in reconstruction efforts.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties