Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
Casualties among Afghan security forces remain "shockingly high", according to a report from a U.S. watchdog body published on Monday that put the death toll at 807 and the number of injured at 1,328 in the first two months of the year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The watchdog, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), was set up to review the effectiveness of U.S. support programs.
"Afghanistan remains in the grip of a deadly war," the report said. "Casualties suffered by the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in the fight against the Taliban and other insurgents continue to be shockingly high."
It said the casualty figures were from the period Jan. 1 to Feb. 24. They were obtained from the U.S. military and were based on operational reporting and may differ from official statistics provided by the Afghan government and ministries.
There has been little let-up in violence targeting Afghan forces since the period covered in the report. On April 21 an attack by militants on an army base in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif killed 135 soldiers, according to official figures, and twice that number by other accounts.
In a report released in February, SIGAR said at least 6,785 Afghan soldiers and police had been killed in the first 10 months of 2016. Civilian casualties last year totaled 3,498 killed and 7,920 wounded, making it the deadliest year on record for civilians.
From January to March this year, 715 civilians were killed and 1,466 wounded.
The figures come as the U.S. weighs its future strategy for Afghanistan, where it has already spent more than $115 billion in reconstruction efforts.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties