Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
Casualties among Afghan security forces remain "shockingly high", according to a report from a U.S. watchdog body published on Monday that put the death toll at 807 and the number of injured at 1,328 in the first two months of the year, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The watchdog, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), was set up to review the effectiveness of U.S. support programs.
"Afghanistan remains in the grip of a deadly war," the report said. "Casualties suffered by the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in the fight against the Taliban and other insurgents continue to be shockingly high."
It said the casualty figures were from the period Jan. 1 to Feb. 24. They were obtained from the U.S. military and were based on operational reporting and may differ from official statistics provided by the Afghan government and ministries.
There has been little let-up in violence targeting Afghan forces since the period covered in the report. On April 21 an attack by militants on an army base in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif killed 135 soldiers, according to official figures, and twice that number by other accounts.
In a report released in February, SIGAR said at least 6,785 Afghan soldiers and police had been killed in the first 10 months of 2016. Civilian casualties last year totaled 3,498 killed and 7,920 wounded, making it the deadliest year on record for civilians.
From January to March this year, 715 civilians were killed and 1,466 wounded.
The figures come as the U.S. weighs its future strategy for Afghanistan, where it has already spent more than $115 billion in reconstruction efforts.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani MP: Soros and Armenians share common terrorist features
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident
- 28.08.2017Mehman Aliyev files appeal against court decision
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties