Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
Despite the measures taken, courts in Azerbaijan still tend to issue verdicts on arrests, said Shahin Yusifov, chairman of the Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases.
He made the remarks during hearings held in the Azerbaijani parliament in connection with amendments proposed to the Criminal Code by the country’s president, APA reported.
Yusifov noted that this stands to objective as well as subjective reasons.
"The objective reasons come from a number of gaps and shortcomings in the current criminal law. These gaps have been eliminated in the draft amendments to the Criminal Code. In some cases, the application of community service prescribed in the Criminal Code would be sometimes impossible. In that case, courts would choose the penalty of imprisonment. On the other hand, the penalties of fine in large amounts, correctional work, and community service would remain unfulfilled,” he said.
Yusifov noted that over 8 months’ period since the order singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society, law enforcement and judicial system have livened up.
“This revival is that today prosecutors leading primary investigations have suspended presenting submissions about the persons who commit less grave crimes and who are not subject to pre-trial detention,” he said. “Courts are now courageous. In some cases information is received on adoption of decisions on rejection of such presentations although they are available, and it is rejected to sentence the accused to pre-trial detention. According to the Ministry of Justice, this caused the 30 percent decrease in the number of arrested people within the last short period of time.”
As for the imprisonment due to subjective factors, he noted that courts do not completely take into account the requirements specified in criminal law, and in some cases they are not fulfilled at all.
“These are mainly reflected in application of Articles 62 and 70 of the Criminal Code. Despite the fact that cases are identified that are sufficiently facilitating punishment, courts don’t take into account the circumstances that are the basis for easier penalty specified in the sanction of that article in respect of a person. As a result, criminals, especially those who commit less grave crimes are imprisoned. I believe that this draft law will provide grounds for selection of alternative types of punishment which means a significant change,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP