Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
Despite the measures taken, courts in Azerbaijan still tend to issue verdicts on arrests, said Shahin Yusifov, chairman of the Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases.
He made the remarks during hearings held in the Azerbaijani parliament in connection with amendments proposed to the Criminal Code by the country’s president, APA reported.
Yusifov noted that this stands to objective as well as subjective reasons.
"The objective reasons come from a number of gaps and shortcomings in the current criminal law. These gaps have been eliminated in the draft amendments to the Criminal Code. In some cases, the application of community service prescribed in the Criminal Code would be sometimes impossible. In that case, courts would choose the penalty of imprisonment. On the other hand, the penalties of fine in large amounts, correctional work, and community service would remain unfulfilled,” he said.
Yusifov noted that over 8 months’ period since the order singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society, law enforcement and judicial system have livened up.
“This revival is that today prosecutors leading primary investigations have suspended presenting submissions about the persons who commit less grave crimes and who are not subject to pre-trial detention,” he said. “Courts are now courageous. In some cases information is received on adoption of decisions on rejection of such presentations although they are available, and it is rejected to sentence the accused to pre-trial detention. According to the Ministry of Justice, this caused the 30 percent decrease in the number of arrested people within the last short period of time.”
As for the imprisonment due to subjective factors, he noted that courts do not completely take into account the requirements specified in criminal law, and in some cases they are not fulfilled at all.
“These are mainly reflected in application of Articles 62 and 70 of the Criminal Code. Despite the fact that cases are identified that are sufficiently facilitating punishment, courts don’t take into account the circumstances that are the basis for easier penalty specified in the sanction of that article in respect of a person. As a result, criminals, especially those who commit less grave crimes are imprisoned. I believe that this draft law will provide grounds for selection of alternative types of punishment which means a significant change,” he added.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP