Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
Despite the measures taken, courts in Azerbaijan still tend to issue verdicts on arrests, said Shahin Yusifov, chairman of the Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases.
He made the remarks during hearings held in the Azerbaijani parliament in connection with amendments proposed to the Criminal Code by the country’s president, APA reported.
Yusifov noted that this stands to objective as well as subjective reasons.
"The objective reasons come from a number of gaps and shortcomings in the current criminal law. These gaps have been eliminated in the draft amendments to the Criminal Code. In some cases, the application of community service prescribed in the Criminal Code would be sometimes impossible. In that case, courts would choose the penalty of imprisonment. On the other hand, the penalties of fine in large amounts, correctional work, and community service would remain unfulfilled,” he said.
Yusifov noted that over 8 months’ period since the order singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society, law enforcement and judicial system have livened up.
“This revival is that today prosecutors leading primary investigations have suspended presenting submissions about the persons who commit less grave crimes and who are not subject to pre-trial detention,” he said. “Courts are now courageous. In some cases information is received on adoption of decisions on rejection of such presentations although they are available, and it is rejected to sentence the accused to pre-trial detention. According to the Ministry of Justice, this caused the 30 percent decrease in the number of arrested people within the last short period of time.”
As for the imprisonment due to subjective factors, he noted that courts do not completely take into account the requirements specified in criminal law, and in some cases they are not fulfilled at all.
“These are mainly reflected in application of Articles 62 and 70 of the Criminal Code. Despite the fact that cases are identified that are sufficiently facilitating punishment, courts don’t take into account the circumstances that are the basis for easier penalty specified in the sanction of that article in respect of a person. As a result, criminals, especially those who commit less grave crimes are imprisoned. I believe that this draft law will provide grounds for selection of alternative types of punishment which means a significant change,” he added.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP