Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
Novruz Mammadov was born in the Babek district of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic on March 15, 1947.
He finished secondary education in 1964 and entered the department of the French language of the Faculty of European Languages at the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages.
Having graduated from the university with distinction, Mammadov worked as an interpreter and senior interpreter in Algeria (1967–1968), in Guinea (1971–1973), and in 1978-1981 (Algeria).
He received a PhD in Philology in 1991. Mammadov worked as dean of Preparatory Faculty of the Azerbaijan Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages in 1992-1993 and as dean of the Faculty of the French Language in 1993-1997.
On April 12, 1997 he was appointed the head of the Foreign Relations Department of the Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan by former president Heydar Aliyev. From 1995 to 1997, he worked as interpreter to Heydar Aliyev.
Mammadov was granted the rank of Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador by the decree of the Azerbaijani President in January 2002.
In 1998, he was awarded the French Legion d’Honneur Order by former French president Jacques Chirac for his services in strengthening the friendly relations between the two countries.
In September 2005, Mammadov became a member of the National Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan for UNESCO.
In 2007, he was awarded the Order of Glory (Shohrat) by the decree of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
In 2009, Mammadov was awarded the Order of the Legion of Honor of Poland by the order of Polish President Lech Kaczyński. He was awarded for his contributions to the development of relations between Azerbaijan and Poland.
Mammadov was honored with the Order of Sharaf (Honor) upon the order of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on March 13, 2017.
Since June 1, 2017, he has been serving as assistant to the Azerbaijani President for foreign issues, head of department.
Mammadov is also the head of the Department of Lexicology and Stylistics of the French Language at the Azerbaijan University of Languages.
He is fluent in Azerbaijani, French, Russian, English and Turkish.
He is married and has three children and grandchildren.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED