Barack Obama sends letter of congratulations to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
The letter says:
"Dear President Aliyev,
I wish you all the best as you begin your third term as President of Azerbaijan. I look forward to continuing our conversation about important issues in our strategic partnership. Our bilateral relationship, now more than two decades old, has made significant contributions to regional stability. We have welcomed Azerbaijan`s impressive economic and social progress in this period, and we remain committed to strengthening our partnership and deepening cooperation on our common challenges.
The United States and Azerbaijan cooperate closely on a wide range of issues both bilaterally and, recently, in the United Nations Security Council. We appreciate your partnership in Afghanistan and our cooperation to combat terrorism. We stand ready to work with you to seize the historic opportunity to find a peaceful, negotiated resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, and we welcome the decision you and President Sargsian have made to meet later this month. We remain committed to supporting development of the Southern Energy Corridor, bolstering reforms to advance economic diversification, and strengthening regional stability and security.
To achieve the full potential of our cooperation and partnership, we hope Azerbaijan will strengthen the democratic processes that are so important to ensure your country`s long-term stability and prosperity. As we noted following the election, we encourage Azerbaijan to take steps to deepen respect for the universal freedoms of association, assembly, and expression; to promote political pluralism and judicial independence; and to strengthen the electoral system. Our partnership with Azerbaijan itself will continue to grow ever stronger for these efforts.
I look forward to our continued close cooperation and wish you and the people of Azerbaijan peace and success following the twenty-second anniversary of the restoration of your independence."
Related news releases
- 25.07.2016Milikh Yevdayev awarded Shohrat order
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani vice-speaker: Draft Referendum Act envisages cases in which parliament can be dissolved
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani president to set date for referendum on constitutional amendments
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani Constitutional Court approves draft amendments to constitution - UPDATED
- 24.07.2016UN chief condemns Kabul terrorist attack
- 22.07.2016No Turkish military base being created in Azerbaijan – parliament vice-speaker
- 22.07.2016Azerbaijan Deposit Insurance Fund to sell properties of liquidated banks at auction
- 22.07.2016Constitutional Court to consider draft amendments to Azerbaijan’s Constitution on July 25
- 21.07.2016AZN 3M allocated to continue construction of residential building for journalists in Baku
- 21.07.2016Azerbaijan plans to hold referendum on constitutional amendments this year
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijan allocates building and sructures to Turkish Armed Forces
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani currency rates on July 20
- 19.07.2016Azerbaijani MP: Each state may include priority provisions in constitution
- 19.07.2016Baku Court of Appeal to consider lawsuit on cancellation of ANS license
- 19.07.2016Azerbaijani President: "Despite the crises in the world, we are on the path of development"
- 18.07.2016First vice-president and vice-president positions proposed to be established in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2016Azerbaijan presidential term can be extended
- 18.07.2016Draft referendum act on amendments to Azerbaijani Constitution submitted to Constitutional Court
- 18.07.2016Azerbaijan appoints new consul general to Turkey’s Kars
- 16.07.2016Azerbaijani president deeply concerned over events in Turkey
- 15.07.2016Cavusoglu: It’s planned to create new Turkey-Azerbaijan-Kazakhstan trilateral co-op format
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijan puts 41 officials on wanted list
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijani President: "Ukrainian president's visit to Azerbaijan is a very serious political step"
- 12.07.2016Azerbaijani parliament to break up for summer recess this week
- 10.07.2016President Aliyev: Global threats growing, economic crisis deepening
- 05.07.2016Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms repeat parliamentary election results - UPDATED
- 04.07.2016Baghdad bombing death toll exceeds 200
- 02.07.2016Minister: In years of independence, 99 police officers, military servicemen died in fight against crime
- 02.07.2016Minister: More than 3,000 criminal groups neutralized in Azerbaijan over last 13 years
- 30.06.2016Azerbaijani president awards group of Interior Ministry’s employees
- 30.06.2016CIA chief: Istanbul attack bears Daesh ‘hallmarks’
- 29.06.2016MP Zahid Oruj comments on announcement of reprimand to him
- 28.06.2016Moscow court denies appeal of main sponsor of Karabakh separatists
- 24.06.2016Verbal duel between parliament speaker, MPs unacceptable – disciplinary commission
- 24.06.2016Azerbaijani parliament speaker orders disciplinary commission to take appropriate action in relation to MP Zahid Oruj
- 24.06.2016Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session ends
- 24.06.2016Last plenary meeting of Azerbaijani parliament's extraordinary session kicks off
- 24.06.2016Today is Abulfaz Elchibey’s birthday
- 23.06.2016Repeated Aghdash election to be discussed at PACE Bureau
- 23.06.2016Azerbaijani presidential press secretary awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 08.11.2013Azerbaijan proposes to review the role and methodology of ODIHR in process of election observation
- 09.11.2013Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 12.11.2013Azerbaijan marks Day of Constitution
- 07.11.2013New Azerbaijan Party makes division of powers among deputy chairmen, 12 commissions established
- 07.11.2013Azerbaijani Defense Minister and Chief of General Staff visit frontline - PHOTOSESSION
- 07.11.2013Former Pakistani president Musharraf released