Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
A republic-wide conference, entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies” was held in Baku on May 3.
Addressing the event, Head of the State Security Service of Azerbaijan, Lieutenant General Madat Guliyev said that Heydar Aliyev spent 25 years of his life working for state security agencies.
"Therefore, the holding of such an event is no coincidence. Throughout his reign, Heydar Aliyev paid huge attention to developing special service agencies and attached great importance to forming these bodies. While he was in power during the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev pursued a policy of nationalism within security agencies in order to generate qualified personnel for Azerbaijan, said Guliyev. “He prevented the annexation of Azerbaijani lands to Armenia and created conditions for the use of our native language during official events. During the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev saved many intellectuals from imprisonment and prosecution for national ideas,” he said.
Guliyev added that Heydar Aliyev’s operational experience in security agencies is still being studied and instilled into the personnel.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that Azerbaijan is developing and making new achievements, adding that the people live in a state of security and well-being.
“In the 1970s to 1980s, when Heydar Aliyev ruled Azerbaijan, training of military personnel was in the limelight. The opening of the military school named after Jamshid Nakhchivansky brought to an increase in the number of Azerbaijani officers within the Soviet army. Those officers would afterwards play a key role in national army building.
Hasanov went on to say: “It should be noted that some “generals”, who were among you a few years ago, instead of continuing the beautiful tradition and ideology of the national leader, with their unworthy actions, inflicted such a blow on the reputation of Azerbaijan’s national security agencies that could not be inflicted by specially trained anti-Azerbaijani forces. Do you know why this happened? Because those people were not professional and true intellectual as the national leader, or their intellect and moral qualities were not enough to be generals of such a body. Heydar Aliyev was a general who was born in a simple working-class family and managed to reach the top of the Soviet security agencies.”
The presidential aide noted that Heydar Aliyev, after returning to power for the second time, paid attention to the activities of security agencies, their provision with technical equipment, as well as training of new young staff along with the maintenance of professional staff formed during the Soviet period.
“The policy of the national leader was successfully continued by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in accordance with the new requirements. A concept of national security has been developed and adopted under the instruction of President Ilham Aliyev. The concept has been developed in order to determine objectives, principles and approaches of the policy aimed at protecting the state’s independence, territorial integrity, constitutional structure, national interests of the people and country from internal and external threats, as well as develop the security system in accordance with challenges of the 21st century. In this direction, the necessary legal framework has been created, technical support and training activities have been brought into line with the new requirements. The implementation of reforms in the security system that meet the requirements of the modern period is also in the spotlight of the country’s leadership,” added Hasanov.
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report