Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
A republic-wide conference, entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies” was held in Baku on May 3.
Addressing the event, Head of the State Security Service of Azerbaijan, Lieutenant General Madat Guliyev said that Heydar Aliyev spent 25 years of his life working for state security agencies.
"Therefore, the holding of such an event is no coincidence. Throughout his reign, Heydar Aliyev paid huge attention to developing special service agencies and attached great importance to forming these bodies. While he was in power during the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev pursued a policy of nationalism within security agencies in order to generate qualified personnel for Azerbaijan, said Guliyev. “He prevented the annexation of Azerbaijani lands to Armenia and created conditions for the use of our native language during official events. During the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev saved many intellectuals from imprisonment and prosecution for national ideas,” he said.
Guliyev added that Heydar Aliyev’s operational experience in security agencies is still being studied and instilled into the personnel.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that Azerbaijan is developing and making new achievements, adding that the people live in a state of security and well-being.
“In the 1970s to 1980s, when Heydar Aliyev ruled Azerbaijan, training of military personnel was in the limelight. The opening of the military school named after Jamshid Nakhchivansky brought to an increase in the number of Azerbaijani officers within the Soviet army. Those officers would afterwards play a key role in national army building.
Hasanov went on to say: “It should be noted that some “generals”, who were among you a few years ago, instead of continuing the beautiful tradition and ideology of the national leader, with their unworthy actions, inflicted such a blow on the reputation of Azerbaijan’s national security agencies that could not be inflicted by specially trained anti-Azerbaijani forces. Do you know why this happened? Because those people were not professional and true intellectual as the national leader, or their intellect and moral qualities were not enough to be generals of such a body. Heydar Aliyev was a general who was born in a simple working-class family and managed to reach the top of the Soviet security agencies.”
The presidential aide noted that Heydar Aliyev, after returning to power for the second time, paid attention to the activities of security agencies, their provision with technical equipment, as well as training of new young staff along with the maintenance of professional staff formed during the Soviet period.
“The policy of the national leader was successfully continued by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in accordance with the new requirements. A concept of national security has been developed and adopted under the instruction of President Ilham Aliyev. The concept has been developed in order to determine objectives, principles and approaches of the policy aimed at protecting the state’s independence, territorial integrity, constitutional structure, national interests of the people and country from internal and external threats, as well as develop the security system in accordance with challenges of the 21st century. In this direction, the necessary legal framework has been created, technical support and training activities have been brought into line with the new requirements. The implementation of reforms in the security system that meet the requirements of the modern period is also in the spotlight of the country’s leadership,” added Hasanov.
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 18.04.2018Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan resigns
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits National Flag Square
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev held - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Date set for inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms April 11 presidential election results - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to amend media rules in conditions of martial law
- 16.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ramiz Mehdiyev “Shohrat” Order
- 16.04.2018Plenum of Azerbaijani Constitutional Court on election results to be held tomorrow
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijan's CEC sums up presidential election results
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijani MP Astan Shahverdiyev passes away
- 15.04.2018Azerbajiani presidential election results cancelled at 4 polling stations
- 14.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to summarize presidential election results on April 15
- 14.04.2018About 1,000 people attend National Council’s rally - UPDATED
- 13.04.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: OSCE/ODIHR statement on Azerbaijan election ‘completely biased’
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani official: Some members of ODIHR mission only engaged in contacts with opposition
- 13.04.2018Vugar Ahmadov: Azerbaijan election report by OSCE/ODIHR ‘pre-prepared’
- 13.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "No outside force can make us turn from this path"
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "I always rely on the support of the Azerbaijani people"
- 12.04.2018“They showed disrespect to the will of the Azerbaijani people" - OPINION
- 12.04.2018Siyavush Novruzov: We should throw their reports at airport so they can take them along when they leave
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Czech ambassador
- 12.04.2018ECR mission: Presidential election in Azerbaijan held in accord with national legislation
- 12.04.2018Baku Mayor's Office authorizes National Council to hold rally
- 12.04.2018Zahid Oruj congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Italian observer: No restrictions on int’l observers during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan was free: Freedom and Democracy Fund
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report