Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
A republic-wide conference, entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies” was held in Baku on May 3.
Addressing the event, Head of the State Security Service of Azerbaijan, Lieutenant General Madat Guliyev said that Heydar Aliyev spent 25 years of his life working for state security agencies.
"Therefore, the holding of such an event is no coincidence. Throughout his reign, Heydar Aliyev paid huge attention to developing special service agencies and attached great importance to forming these bodies. While he was in power during the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev pursued a policy of nationalism within security agencies in order to generate qualified personnel for Azerbaijan, said Guliyev. “He prevented the annexation of Azerbaijani lands to Armenia and created conditions for the use of our native language during official events. During the Soviet era, Heydar Aliyev saved many intellectuals from imprisonment and prosecution for national ideas,” he said.
Guliyev added that Heydar Aliyev’s operational experience in security agencies is still being studied and instilled into the personnel.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that Azerbaijan is developing and making new achievements, adding that the people live in a state of security and well-being.
“In the 1970s to 1980s, when Heydar Aliyev ruled Azerbaijan, training of military personnel was in the limelight. The opening of the military school named after Jamshid Nakhchivansky brought to an increase in the number of Azerbaijani officers within the Soviet army. Those officers would afterwards play a key role in national army building.
Hasanov went on to say: “It should be noted that some “generals”, who were among you a few years ago, instead of continuing the beautiful tradition and ideology of the national leader, with their unworthy actions, inflicted such a blow on the reputation of Azerbaijan’s national security agencies that could not be inflicted by specially trained anti-Azerbaijani forces. Do you know why this happened? Because those people were not professional and true intellectual as the national leader, or their intellect and moral qualities were not enough to be generals of such a body. Heydar Aliyev was a general who was born in a simple working-class family and managed to reach the top of the Soviet security agencies.”
The presidential aide noted that Heydar Aliyev, after returning to power for the second time, paid attention to the activities of security agencies, their provision with technical equipment, as well as training of new young staff along with the maintenance of professional staff formed during the Soviet period.
“The policy of the national leader was successfully continued by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev in accordance with the new requirements. A concept of national security has been developed and adopted under the instruction of President Ilham Aliyev. The concept has been developed in order to determine objectives, principles and approaches of the policy aimed at protecting the state’s independence, territorial integrity, constitutional structure, national interests of the people and country from internal and external threats, as well as develop the security system in accordance with challenges of the 21st century. In this direction, the necessary legal framework has been created, technical support and training activities have been brought into line with the new requirements. The implementation of reforms in the security system that meet the requirements of the modern period is also in the spotlight of the country’s leadership,” added Hasanov.
- 26.05.2017President: No domestic risks in Azerbaijan, possible risks emerge abroad
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Had it been able to maintain its independence, Azerbaijan would be one of world’s most developed countries
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on Republic Day
- 26.05.2017Investigation into Lapshin’s case wraps up
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2017Mahmud Nabiyev awarded title of ‘Honored Lawyer’
- 25.05.2017Abbasali Novruzov awarded Shohrat Order
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held successfully in Baku
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report