Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
Despite some 20 percent of its territory having been under occupation for 25 years, Azerbaijan has attained great achievements, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
According to him, when the government and people support each other, the economy can keep growing even if part of the land is under occupation.
"We have been able to reduce the poverty rate to 5 percent over the last fifteen years. Azerbaijan's economy suffered from the drop in oil prices. However, we managed to resolve the problems through reforms in a short period,” said President Aliyev.
“When oil revenues drop 3-4 times, people’s life gets affected. However, we have overcome these difficulties. There are some difficulties, but it is getting adapted to oil prices. There’ll be economic growth this year. Even if we put aside last year's oil and gas sector, we can see that there is an increase in the non-oil sector,” he added.
Azerbaijan has managed to increase the export of non-oil products twice over the past two months, noted the president.
“We must expand our export, we need foreign markets. To this end, we need to have good political relations with the leaders of countries that have those markets,” said President Aliyev.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable partner in the world.
"It stems from mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs. If you have problems with neighboring countries, it’s going to have a negative effect on both sides,” said Azerbaijan’s president.
“Apart from Armenia, we have established very good relations with other neighboring countries. We have signed an agreement on strategic partnership with nine member countries of the European Union. It is not only associated with energy. Last month, we began negotiations with the EU for a strategic partnership agreement. We should base our policy on national interests and realities. We have also put forward realistic goals in relation to the EU. So have our partners. Instead of signing an association agreement with the EU, we made the initiative of signing a strategic partnership agreement. Our policy is based on the real situation. In some cases, however, our policy aims to change the realities. Sometimes our neighbors become unable to understand each other and that’s when we try to play a stabilizing role,” he added.
The president also recalled the recent meeting of Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov in Baku.
"It was an initiative of theirs. Azerbaijan’s role is now being appreciated. Being a satellite partner has little to promise. Azerbaijan does have this type of partners. And I have to say, Azerbaijan is taking part in the fight against terrorism, our troops in Afghanistan are taking part in this fight. At the same time, Azerbaijan is supporting the military cargo in this area," added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 23.02.2017Nakhchivan’s Supreme Assembly approves constitutional amendments
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nothing can hinder realization of Southern Gas Corridor
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite being a small country, Azerbaijan is doing huge work
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order