Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
Despite some 20 percent of its territory having been under occupation for 25 years, Azerbaijan has attained great achievements, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
According to him, when the government and people support each other, the economy can keep growing even if part of the land is under occupation.
"We have been able to reduce the poverty rate to 5 percent over the last fifteen years. Azerbaijan's economy suffered from the drop in oil prices. However, we managed to resolve the problems through reforms in a short period,” said President Aliyev.
“When oil revenues drop 3-4 times, people’s life gets affected. However, we have overcome these difficulties. There are some difficulties, but it is getting adapted to oil prices. There’ll be economic growth this year. Even if we put aside last year's oil and gas sector, we can see that there is an increase in the non-oil sector,” he added.
Azerbaijan has managed to increase the export of non-oil products twice over the past two months, noted the president.
“We must expand our export, we need foreign markets. To this end, we need to have good political relations with the leaders of countries that have those markets,” said President Aliyev.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable partner in the world.
"It stems from mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs. If you have problems with neighboring countries, it’s going to have a negative effect on both sides,” said Azerbaijan’s president.
“Apart from Armenia, we have established very good relations with other neighboring countries. We have signed an agreement on strategic partnership with nine member countries of the European Union. It is not only associated with energy. Last month, we began negotiations with the EU for a strategic partnership agreement. We should base our policy on national interests and realities. We have also put forward realistic goals in relation to the EU. So have our partners. Instead of signing an association agreement with the EU, we made the initiative of signing a strategic partnership agreement. Our policy is based on the real situation. In some cases, however, our policy aims to change the realities. Sometimes our neighbors become unable to understand each other and that’s when we try to play a stabilizing role,” he added.
The president also recalled the recent meeting of Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov in Baku.
"It was an initiative of theirs. Azerbaijan’s role is now being appreciated. Being a satellite partner has little to promise. Azerbaijan does have this type of partners. And I have to say, Azerbaijan is taking part in the fight against terrorism, our troops in Afghanistan are taking part in this fight. At the same time, Azerbaijan is supporting the military cargo in this area," added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order