Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
Despite some 20 percent of its territory having been under occupation for 25 years, Azerbaijan has attained great achievements, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks at the opening ceremony of the 5th Global Baku Forum titled “The Future of International Relations: Power and Interests”, which kicked off in Baku March 16, APA reported.
According to him, when the government and people support each other, the economy can keep growing even if part of the land is under occupation.
"We have been able to reduce the poverty rate to 5 percent over the last fifteen years. Azerbaijan's economy suffered from the drop in oil prices. However, we managed to resolve the problems through reforms in a short period,” said President Aliyev.
“When oil revenues drop 3-4 times, people’s life gets affected. However, we have overcome these difficulties. There are some difficulties, but it is getting adapted to oil prices. There’ll be economic growth this year. Even if we put aside last year's oil and gas sector, we can see that there is an increase in the non-oil sector,” he added.
Azerbaijan has managed to increase the export of non-oil products twice over the past two months, noted the president.
“We must expand our export, we need foreign markets. To this end, we need to have good political relations with the leaders of countries that have those markets,” said President Aliyev.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan has proved to be a reliable partner in the world.
"It stems from mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs. If you have problems with neighboring countries, it’s going to have a negative effect on both sides,” said Azerbaijan’s president.
“Apart from Armenia, we have established very good relations with other neighboring countries. We have signed an agreement on strategic partnership with nine member countries of the European Union. It is not only associated with energy. Last month, we began negotiations with the EU for a strategic partnership agreement. We should base our policy on national interests and realities. We have also put forward realistic goals in relation to the EU. So have our partners. Instead of signing an association agreement with the EU, we made the initiative of signing a strategic partnership agreement. Our policy is based on the real situation. In some cases, however, our policy aims to change the realities. Sometimes our neighbors become unable to understand each other and that’s when we try to play a stabilizing role,” he added.
The president also recalled the recent meeting of Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov in Baku.
"It was an initiative of theirs. Azerbaijan’s role is now being appreciated. Being a satellite partner has little to promise. Azerbaijan does have this type of partners. And I have to say, Azerbaijan is taking part in the fight against terrorism, our troops in Afghanistan are taking part in this fight. At the same time, Azerbaijan is supporting the military cargo in this area," added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of Interior Ministry’s employees
- 06.03.2018Today marks 63rd anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s death
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order