Azerbaijani President: "Serious investigation into the situation in the energy system should be carried out, the perpetrators should be brought to justice"
"I want to express my gratitude to all the Azerbaijani citizens for their support, understanding and civic solidarity," said President Ilham Aliyev at a meeting on the state of the country’s energy system.
President Ilham Aliyev said that as a result of the accident at the Mingachevir power station, serious problems were experienced in the energy supply of the country.
The Head of State noted that as a result of the operative measures the power supply was restored in a few hours.
"By my order, a state commission was set up to investigate the issue, and the commission started its work. Several tasks have been set for the Commission. The main task among them is to investigate the issue and find out the cause of the accident. At the same time, the commission should identify the perpetrators, make suggestions on the measures to be taken against them, and prepare a plan of action to prevent such accidents in the future. The power supply was cut off yesterday evening again. As a result of the taken measures, the energy supply was restored in a short time. I must note that I gave a serious assignment to all the state bodies to assist citizens in this situation, so that we can get out of the situation with dignity. I can say that all state agencies have shown great professionalism in the performance of this task, and as a result of their successful activity, this accident was almost eliminated. Though citizens suffered greatly, no serious incidents occurred ".
The President said that during the incident, the Ministry of Emergency Situations correctly organized its activity: "The Ministry of Emergency Situations quickly and correctly carried out the proceedings. Citizens were evacuated from the subway, the citizens who were on the elevators were evacuated, the rescuers worked very successfully. The internal affairs bodies were very active. First of all, the issue of keeping public order was on the agenda. At the same time, there was a great danger that the city traffic could be in an uncontrollable situation, and police officers could successfully control the traffic on the road intersections. I must also point out that the Azerbaijani citizens have shown great responsibility, demonstrating civic solidarity with this issue, and the Azerbaijani society has been able to come out of this difficult trial as a whole. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the citizens of Azerbaijan for their support, understanding and civil solidarity. I know that citizens have helped each other. This once again shows that Azerbaijani society is a very mature society and, in essence, there is civil solidarity in Azerbaijan. "
President Ilham Aliyev noted that transport issues were correctly regulated during the energy fault: "The Baku Transport Agency immediately took operative measures, new buses were sent to the lines. Passengers were given great attention and care. In a word, I think that all state agencies have shown great professionalism in this extremely difficult situation. We have been able to get out of this situation with less loss. "
Nevertheless, the Head of State underlined that the accident that has taken place twice should be investigated very seriously: "In recent years, huge investments have been made in the energy sector of Azerbaijan. Over the last 15 years, dozens of new power stations have been put into operation in Azerbaijan. Over the past 15 years, 2500 megawatt new power stations have been built. Our current energy potential is 6400 megawatts. Its 2,500 megawatts were created over the last 15 years. New power stations have been established in all regions of our country. Hydropower stations were established in Baku, Sumgayit, Shirvan, Astara, Khachmaz, Shaki, Guba, as well as in the regions. The geography of these stations shows that we tried to build new stations in all regions of our country to ensure stability in the energy system. However, as a result of an accident, the entire energy system was almost out of order. This issue creates very serious questions that should be studied very seriously. As a result of this accident, people suffered greatly from the heat, and the economy suffered greatly. It is true that both the first and second times the energy supply was restored within a few hours as a result of operative measures. However, these accidents should not occur, and if they happen, it should not lead to such consequences. No country in the world has been insured from accident. However, the accident must be local. The accident that took place at one station had a great impact on our entire energy system. Therefore, I would like to say that a very serious investigation should be carried out, the perpetrators must be brought to justice, and an action plan should be prepared so that we can protect ourselves from these accidents and their consequences in the future. "
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Number of lawyers in Azerbaijan exceeds 1,500
- 18.07.2018President of Italy awarded Order of "Heydar Aliyev"
- 17.07.2018President allocates funding for renovation of Yanar Dag reserve
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards ANAMA employees
- 16.07.2018New deputy mayor of Baku appointed
- 14.07.2018Orders of police officers martyred in Ganja presented to family members
- 14.07.2018Population's income in Azerbaijan increases by 7.3%
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev posthumously awards police officers killed in Azerbaijan's Ganja
- 13.07.2018President Aliyev: Neither foreign nor internal forces can influence people-government unity in Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criminals, their supporters will fail to achieve their insidious goals
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting of heads of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement bodies
- 13.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan, by talking about democracy, aims to legitimize his coming to power through coup d'état
- 13.07.2018Person accused of killing police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja eliminated
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 11.07.2018Ali Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- 11.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets European Council president in Brussels
- 11.07.2018Attempts to create chaos in Azerbaijan don’t have any prospects – official
- 10.07.2018Deputy Chief of Ganja City Police Office and Nizami District Police Office martyred while preventing unrest - OFFİCİAL
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 10.07.2018Legal assessment to be given to activities of companies in connection with illegal production of non-ferrous metals in occupied territories of Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan is a very stable and strong country"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "We will fulfill all the tasks set in 2018"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "I hope that the new government of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous leadership"
- 09.07.2018A number of persons penalized for issuing illegal calls on social networking over power cut and assault on Ganja head of executive authority
- 09.07.201812 suspects detained over assault on Ganja’s head of executive authority
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of diplomatic service agencies
- 08.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chaired meeting of Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in first half of 2018 and future objectives
- 07.07.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations appointed
- 02.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani police should bring their activities in line with modern requirements
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards interior minister, first deputy interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session - UPDATED
- 28.06.2018US, Turkey can have 'more productive’ talk: Pompeo
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan increases number of assistants to 1st vice-president
- 25.06.2018Six new sectors created at Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration
- 22.06.2018Ali Hasanov: Free media formed in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani parl’t sets date for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 19.06.2018Pompeo says Trump agreed to 'alter' Korea armistice
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 05.07.2018Interior Minister : "In connection with the lack of electricity, no serious crimes were committed"
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President received WHO Director General - UPDATED
- 06.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Constitutional Court played important role in ensuring stability of Azerbaijan’s legal system
- 04.07.2018Prosecutor General: "Criminal case was initiated in connection with the incident at Mingachevir TPS"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: Government capable of ensuring security of country and population
- 03.07.2018MES: Works to eliminate the accident underway, evacuation process goes on