Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has ordered the establishment of a special commission to halt demolition of Haji Javad Mosque located in 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district in Baku, President`s Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov told APA on Thursday.
Hasanov noted that the head of state is concerned about the situation around demolition of the mosque.
“Taking into account the reaction of believers, the head of state gave the necessary instructions to halt demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals,” said the presidential aide.
Hasanov noted that after Azerbaijan gained its state independence, one of the main priorities of the state policy was the preservation and development of the Azerbaijani people’s religious and cultural heritage, provision of freedom of religion and conscience, improvement of the legislation regulating relations between the state and religion in accordance with modern requirements, reconstruction and restoration of religious monuments, mosques, places of worship, and the creation of the necessary conditions to meet religious needs of each person.
“In the first years of independence, national leader Heydar Aliyev, who had great respect for the national, spiritual and religious values of the Azerbaijani people, in spite of limited opportunities, paid special attention to the reconstruction and restoration of mosques shut down and dilapidated in the Soviet era. Under the order signed by Heydar Aliyev in 1994, the destroyed Bibi-Heybat mosque was rebuilt and commissioned in 1998,” he said.
Hasanov continued: “The restoration of religious temples, the foundations of which were laid by national leader Heydar Aliyev, were subsequently continued on a large scale by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and the Heydar Aliyev Foundation. Tezepir Mosque, Juma Mosque and the Prophet Muhammad Mosque in Icheri Sheher, Ajdarbey Mosque, Juma Mosque in Shamaki, Imamzadeh complex in Ganja and dozens of other religious monuments and mosques were also repaired and reconstructed by the state. Moreover, Heydar Aliyev Mosque, the largest and most modern mosque in the South Caucasus, was built.”
He also pointed out that numerous mosques and places of worship were restored in various regions of the country by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation within the framework of the project “Address of Tolerance - Azerbaijan”.
“If there were only 17 mosques in Azerbaijan during the Soviet period, their number reached 2166 at the beginning of 2017. 306 mosques are currently under state protection as historic monuments,” added Hasanov.
Hasanov noted that Islamic holidays are celebrated at the state level in Azerbaijan.
“There are all conditions available for performing religious rituals. It’s no coincidence that in Azerbaijan, which is known as the center of religious tolerance, a congregational prayer was performed in Heydar Mosque for the first time,” said the presidential aide.
He also hailed tolerance and co-existence of different religions in the country. “There has never been religious and ethnic discrimination in our country, and representatives of all religions have lived here in peace and mutual understanding. This is our lifestyle and the best way to confidently move forward.”
Hasanov went on to say: “Azerbaijan is also hosting important events for spreading Islamic culture in the world, conducting an open struggle against Islamophobia. President Ilham Aliyev decently represents the Islamic world at international events, strongly condemning manifestations of Islamophobia in his speeches. By this means, he makes a practical contribution to the promotion of Islamic cultural heritage and the idea of multiculturalism.
He stressed that Azerbaijan actively contributed to the organization of the Department of Islamic Arts in famous Louvre museum in France, and was the first Muslim country to demonstrate its exhibition in the Vatican.
“In 2009, Baku was declared the capital of Islamic culture with the support of ISESCO. In 2018, Nakhchivan, another ancient Azerbaijani city, was awarded this honorary title,” added Hasanov.
He said that 2017 was declared “The Year of Islamic Solidarity” in Azerbaijan, adding that the country is organizing numerous international events to strengthen unity in the Muslim world and to show the whole world that Islam is a religion of peace and culture. “I think that apart from being a sporting event, the Islamic Solidarity Games to be held in Baku this May will be the days of unity and solidarity of the Islamic world,” said Hasanov.
The presidential aide highlighted large-scale construction and redevelopment work in the country, saying all social, economic and cultural infrastructure is being modernized.
“Modern parks, gardens, roads and buildings are being constructed in Baku. In this context, work carried out in Sovetski in Yasamal district is part of this modernization process in the capital. Old buildings and facilities with poor conditions are being demolished, and citizens are being provided with new houses,” he added.
Hasanov also called on citizens who gathered around Haji Javad Mosque to leave the area and create necessary working conditions for the newly established commission.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on Republic Day
- 26.05.2017Investigation into Lapshin’s case wraps up
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2017Mahmud Nabiyev awarded title of ‘Honored Lawyer’
- 25.05.2017Abbasali Novruzov awarded Shohrat Order
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held successfully in Baku
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack