Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
Public hearings started at the Azerbaijani Parliament in connection with the amendments proposed by the country’s president to the Criminal Code.
The hearings are being held by the parliamentary Committee on Legal Policy and State Building, APA reported.
Vusal Isayev, an official of the Presidential Administration's department for work with law-enforcement bodies, said in his speech that about 300 amendments were proposed, and the sentences for 34 types of crimes will be reduced.
“The decriminalization of a series of acts in accordance with the proposed amendments does not mean that the perpetrators will be fully exempt from punishment. In this regard, there are relevant articles of the Code of Administrative Offenses,” he added.
Safar Mirzayev, head of the parliament’s Office, said that the draft amendments provide for introducing new types of alternative punishment into the Criminal Code.
“Any legislation needs to be improved. From this point of view, the order signed by President Ilham Aliyev on February 10 this year is of great importance,” he said.
Mirzayev reminded that many significant amendments have been made the Criminal Code over the past years. “At the same time, President Ilham Aliyev repeatedly signed pardon decrees, and amnesty acts were adopted at the initiative of First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva,” he added.
According to him, it is not common of heads of state in post-Soviet republics to voice concern over imprisonment.
“The concern is that pretrial detentions and arrests are on the rise. The president thinks it is abnormal. We, as a law community, also agree with this,” he said.
Mirzayev went on to say that the draft law on amendments to the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan has been submitted to the parliament by the country’s president.
“The draft law consists of four parts. These directions have to do with decriminalization of some crimes and application of wider alternative punishments. The draft law is aimed at wider application of alternative punishments and introducing new alternative punishments to the Criminal Code. The draft law also emphasizes that if a crime is related to economic or financial activity and if the danger to the public is defined by the damage caused, the offender will either be exempt from criminal liability or face a minor penalty,” he said.
“When the punishment is imposed, expansion of premature exemption from punishment and replacement of imprisonment with alternative punishments are of important issues which indicate that the head of state pays much attention to ordinary people who live in this country and strive for the development of the country’s economy,” Mirzayev added.
The hearings are continuing.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan