Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
Public hearings started at the Azerbaijani Parliament in connection with the amendments proposed by the country’s president to the Criminal Code.
The hearings are being held by the parliamentary Committee on Legal Policy and State Building, APA reported.
Vusal Isayev, an official of the Presidential Administration's department for work with law-enforcement bodies, said in his speech that about 300 amendments were proposed, and the sentences for 34 types of crimes will be reduced.
“The decriminalization of a series of acts in accordance with the proposed amendments does not mean that the perpetrators will be fully exempt from punishment. In this regard, there are relevant articles of the Code of Administrative Offenses,” he added.
Safar Mirzayev, head of the parliament’s Office, said that the draft amendments provide for introducing new types of alternative punishment into the Criminal Code.
“Any legislation needs to be improved. From this point of view, the order signed by President Ilham Aliyev on February 10 this year is of great importance,” he said.
Mirzayev reminded that many significant amendments have been made the Criminal Code over the past years. “At the same time, President Ilham Aliyev repeatedly signed pardon decrees, and amnesty acts were adopted at the initiative of First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva,” he added.
According to him, it is not common of heads of state in post-Soviet republics to voice concern over imprisonment.
“The concern is that pretrial detentions and arrests are on the rise. The president thinks it is abnormal. We, as a law community, also agree with this,” he said.
Mirzayev went on to say that the draft law on amendments to the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan has been submitted to the parliament by the country’s president.
“The draft law consists of four parts. These directions have to do with decriminalization of some crimes and application of wider alternative punishments. The draft law is aimed at wider application of alternative punishments and introducing new alternative punishments to the Criminal Code. The draft law also emphasizes that if a crime is related to economic or financial activity and if the danger to the public is defined by the damage caused, the offender will either be exempt from criminal liability or face a minor penalty,” he said.
“When the punishment is imposed, expansion of premature exemption from punishment and replacement of imprisonment with alternative punishments are of important issues which indicate that the head of state pays much attention to ordinary people who live in this country and strive for the development of the country’s economy,” Mirzayev added.
The hearings are continuing.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan