Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
Public hearings started at the Azerbaijani Parliament in connection with the amendments proposed by the country’s president to the Criminal Code.
The hearings are being held by the parliamentary Committee on Legal Policy and State Building, APA reported.
Vusal Isayev, an official of the Presidential Administration's department for work with law-enforcement bodies, said in his speech that about 300 amendments were proposed, and the sentences for 34 types of crimes will be reduced.
“The decriminalization of a series of acts in accordance with the proposed amendments does not mean that the perpetrators will be fully exempt from punishment. In this regard, there are relevant articles of the Code of Administrative Offenses,” he added.
Safar Mirzayev, head of the parliament’s Office, said that the draft amendments provide for introducing new types of alternative punishment into the Criminal Code.
“Any legislation needs to be improved. From this point of view, the order signed by President Ilham Aliyev on February 10 this year is of great importance,” he said.
Mirzayev reminded that many significant amendments have been made the Criminal Code over the past years. “At the same time, President Ilham Aliyev repeatedly signed pardon decrees, and amnesty acts were adopted at the initiative of First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva,” he added.
According to him, it is not common of heads of state in post-Soviet republics to voice concern over imprisonment.
“The concern is that pretrial detentions and arrests are on the rise. The president thinks it is abnormal. We, as a law community, also agree with this,” he said.
Mirzayev went on to say that the draft law on amendments to the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan has been submitted to the parliament by the country’s president.
“The draft law consists of four parts. These directions have to do with decriminalization of some crimes and application of wider alternative punishments. The draft law is aimed at wider application of alternative punishments and introducing new alternative punishments to the Criminal Code. The draft law also emphasizes that if a crime is related to economic or financial activity and if the danger to the public is defined by the damage caused, the offender will either be exempt from criminal liability or face a minor penalty,” he said.
“When the punishment is imposed, expansion of premature exemption from punishment and replacement of imprisonment with alternative punishments are of important issues which indicate that the head of state pays much attention to ordinary people who live in this country and strive for the development of the country’s economy,” Mirzayev added.
The hearings are continuing.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan