Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
The document was put to the vote and adopted unanimously at the parliament’s plenary meeting on Friday.
A bill “On the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly Genocide” is being discussed in the meeting.
First Deputy Speaker Ziyafat Asgarov is presenting the bill.
The bill reaffirms the Azerbaijani parliament’s decisions (dated 24 February 1994, 24 February 1995, 27 February 2007 and 24 February 2012) on the assessment of the massacre committed by Armenian military units, Armenian armed groups stationed in Nagorno-Karabakh and the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly on the night of 25-26 February 1992 as a crime of genocide.
According to the document, Azerbaijani MPs are instructed to ensure during their visits to foreign countries and participation in international events a wider dissemination of the acts of genocide that the Azerbaijani people were subjected to over the past 100 years, as well as the truth about the Khojaly genocide and effectively use the opportunities of inter-parliamentary working groups.
The bill also recommends the relevant Azerbaijani governmental and non-governmental organizations to join efforts for the wide dissemination of the information about the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the exposure of deceitful Armenian propaganda.
The bill contains an appeal to the parliaments of foreign countries, international parliamentary organizations on assessing the massacre of Azerbaijanis on Feb. 25-26, 1992 in the Khojaly town of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region as the crime of genocide.
The document also emphasizes that Armenia wants to attract to its provocations member states of the Eurasian Economic Union and Collective Security Council and makes every effort to cover up the truth about the Khojaly genocide.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community