Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
The document was put to the vote and adopted unanimously at the parliament’s plenary meeting on Friday.
A bill “On the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly Genocide” is being discussed in the meeting.
First Deputy Speaker Ziyafat Asgarov is presenting the bill.
The bill reaffirms the Azerbaijani parliament’s decisions (dated 24 February 1994, 24 February 1995, 27 February 2007 and 24 February 2012) on the assessment of the massacre committed by Armenian military units, Armenian armed groups stationed in Nagorno-Karabakh and the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly on the night of 25-26 February 1992 as a crime of genocide.
According to the document, Azerbaijani MPs are instructed to ensure during their visits to foreign countries and participation in international events a wider dissemination of the acts of genocide that the Azerbaijani people were subjected to over the past 100 years, as well as the truth about the Khojaly genocide and effectively use the opportunities of inter-parliamentary working groups.
The bill also recommends the relevant Azerbaijani governmental and non-governmental organizations to join efforts for the wide dissemination of the information about the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the exposure of deceitful Armenian propaganda.
The bill contains an appeal to the parliaments of foreign countries, international parliamentary organizations on assessing the massacre of Azerbaijanis on Feb. 25-26, 1992 in the Khojaly town of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region as the crime of genocide.
The document also emphasizes that Armenia wants to attract to its provocations member states of the Eurasian Economic Union and Collective Security Council and makes every effort to cover up the truth about the Khojaly genocide.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops, stationed in Khankendi, committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly. As many as 613 people, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people still remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 16.06.201714th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges
- 14.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev views reconstruction work in Jojug Marjanli village
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s ruling party holds event on National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani economy to enter a new stage: deputy PM
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of late Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 13.06.2017Last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session to take place on June 30
- 13.06.2017Notions of terrorist and terror broadened in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins extraordinary session
- 13.06.2017Russia would not have allowed to manipulate itself if joined NATO
- 12.06.2017Flights canceled, trains suspended as China braces for Typhoon
- 12.06.2017Deputy Heads of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 09.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences over death of Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 08.06.2017Iranian embassy in Azerbaijan makes statement on terrorist attacks in Tehran
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani expanding notion of terrorist and terror
- 06.06.2017Prosecutor General: Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry played a great role in exposing spy network
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan has effective mechanism to combat corruption: prosecutor general
- 06.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Human rights and freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Families of people killed combating terrorism to get 90-fold of the deceased’s salary
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan increases number of deputy justice ministers
- 05.06.2017Elchin Guliyev appointed head of Azerbaijan’s State Border Service
- 02.06.2017Assistant to first vice-president: Azerbaijan is passing through important stage of reforms - INTERVIEW
- 01.06.2017Maharram Aliyev relieved of his duties
- 01.06.2017Institute of advisers under Azerbaijani Presidential Administration abolished
- 01.06.2017New departments created in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant for defense issues dismissed
- 01.06.2017Head of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 01.06.2017Fatma Abdullazade relieved of her duties
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 23.02.2017Nakhchivan’s Supreme Assembly approves constitutional amendments
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nothing can hinder realization of Southern Gas Corridor