Azerbaijani official: Lapshin's issue shouldn't be politicized
The issue of Alexander Lapshin should not be politicized, said Novruz Mammadov, deputy head of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, chief of the administration's foreign relations department, APA reported.
Lapshin, who was extradited to Azerbaijan on February 7, is accused of violating Azerbaijan’s laws on state border.
This is a legal matter between states, said Mammadov, noting that compliance with the law is an important issue for the world.
“In this case, intergovernmental cooperation becomes more sincere. This is an issue which is backed by international law,” he said.
The Azerbaijani official stressed that there is a tendency towards a violation of interstate relations.
“Russia is a big state. Russia and Azerbaijan enjoy close ties which have a long history. Over the years, we have taken the best bases of processes that took place during the past two centuries and built cooperation between the two countries,” Mammadov said.
He pointed out that the strategic partnership, friendly and neighborly relations between the two countries are built on a solid foundation. “Azerbaijan-Russia ties are unshakable,” he said.
With regard to Russia’s indifferent approach to the issue of Dilgam Asgarov, a citizen of Russia, who is being held hostage in Nagorno-Karabakh, the Azerbaijani official noted that this is an internal affair of Russia.
“Issues related to Azerbaijan include in the agenda of all processes. We have our own internal rues, and we abide by them,” Mammadov said. “There are those who want to politicize this issue and cast a shadow over Azerbaijan-Russia ties. If they believe that they act fairly and in unbiased manner and raise this issue, let them bring up the issue of Dilgam Asgarov.”
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 11.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijan is a key member of int’l community
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan sees 2.7 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan prepares bill on prevention of int’l crimes and punishment of perpetrators
- 09.02.2017Explosion at French nuclear plant, no contamination risk