Azerbaijani official: Lapshin's issue shouldn't be politicized
The issue of Alexander Lapshin should not be politicized, said Novruz Mammadov, deputy head of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, chief of the administration's foreign relations department, APA reported.
Lapshin, who was extradited to Azerbaijan on February 7, is accused of violating Azerbaijan’s laws on state border.
This is a legal matter between states, said Mammadov, noting that compliance with the law is an important issue for the world.
“In this case, intergovernmental cooperation becomes more sincere. This is an issue which is backed by international law,” he said.
The Azerbaijani official stressed that there is a tendency towards a violation of interstate relations.
“Russia is a big state. Russia and Azerbaijan enjoy close ties which have a long history. Over the years, we have taken the best bases of processes that took place during the past two centuries and built cooperation between the two countries,” Mammadov said.
He pointed out that the strategic partnership, friendly and neighborly relations between the two countries are built on a solid foundation. “Azerbaijan-Russia ties are unshakable,” he said.
With regard to Russia’s indifferent approach to the issue of Dilgam Asgarov, a citizen of Russia, who is being held hostage in Nagorno-Karabakh, the Azerbaijani official noted that this is an internal affair of Russia.
“Issues related to Azerbaijan include in the agenda of all processes. We have our own internal rues, and we abide by them,” Mammadov said. “There are those who want to politicize this issue and cast a shadow over Azerbaijan-Russia ties. If they believe that they act fairly and in unbiased manner and raise this issue, let them bring up the issue of Dilgam Asgarov.”
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 11.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijan is a key member of int’l community
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan sees 2.7 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan prepares bill on prevention of int’l crimes and punishment of perpetrators
- 09.02.2017Explosion at French nuclear plant, no contamination risk