Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
MP Elmira Akhundova said that the fact that Ukrainian MPs voted against Azerbaijan was not approved of by Kiev, either.
According to her, this issue was touched upon at a meeting held with the Ukrainian deputy prime minister in the office of the Congress of Ukrainians of Azerbaijan.
"I believe that what those MP did does not reflect the position of Kiev," Akhundova said.
MP Tahir Karimli in his speech called PACE members "immoral".
"If the Council of Europe wants to exclude Azerbaijan from its ranks, then our country must itself withdraw from this organization, without waiting for the decision of the Council of Europe. Europe does not want to see the colors of our flag. So where is our Caucasian pride? Why should we live under the dictation of an empire that collapsed due to its immorality? We ourselves must decide who should be released, and we should never live under the dictation of big states. Nor should we blindly follow their instructions," he added.
Speaker Oktay Asadov reacted to the deputy's statement, saying "If we blindly obeyed the Council of Europe, then we would not have been treated like that. The problem has to do with the influence of the Armenian diaspora and the position of Azerbaijan.”
“If we decide to withdraw from the Council of Europe, then Armenians will take advantage of this opportunity trying to achieve the recognition of the “independence” of Nagorno-Karabakh,” he added.
Speaker Ogtay Asadov said: “No one is going to leave this organization. “We are talking about the attitude of this organization”.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Hadi Rajabli with order
- 28.10.2017National Council holds rally
- 27.10.2017Amendments to draft law on institution of legal representation in Azerbaijani courts revealed
- 27.10.2017Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Shabran
- 26.10.2017Mubariz Gurbanli: Azerbaijan’s steps against religious extremists – signal to their financial backers
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan eyes to prohibit presence of representatives in trials
- 25.10.2017Baku Mayor's Office approves National Council’s request for rally
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 24.10.2017Turkish soldier martyred in PKK attack
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21