Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
Baku – APA. Azerbaijani MPs called for the reconsideration of the country’s bilateral relations with Russia over the further enhancement of military alliance between Russia and Armenia.
Addressing the parliamentary plenary session on Nov. 29, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that Baku needs to demonstrate a strict position towards Moscow after the recent deployment of Russia’s Iskander missile systems in Armenia and “threatening remarks” made by President Sargsyan in Moscow.
The MP noted that during the April fighting Sargysyan was looking for a mouse hole to hide.
“However, after he found a mouse hole in Moscow, he immediately began to make “threatening remarks” on us,” said Hasanguliyev. “Feeling confident after Russia's supply of Iskander missile systems to Armenia, he “grew bolder.””
According to the MP, Azerbaijan favors the improvement of relations with Russia.
“However, it’s also obvious that though Russia acts as an intermediary in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, this country at the same time backs the occupying state. The level of the Russia-Armenia ties does not match that of the Russia-Azerbaijan ties,” he added.
The MP noted that though the Russia-Azerbaijan ties are of strategic nature, the reality proves otherwise.
“We should no longer turn a blind eye to it. We need to reconsider our bilateral relations with Russia,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “If Russian is really willing its relations with Azerbaijan to be based on strategic partnership, then it needs to demonstrate an unbiased and neutral position regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. If Russia does not change its attitude towards Azerbaijan, then Azerbaijan should get closer to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.”
In his speech, MP Fazil Mustafa noted that despite the free broadcasting of Russian TV channel Mir in Azerbaijan, this channel has never highlighted Azerbaijan’s main problem – the occupation of its territories.
“Though, the channel is financed by the Azerbaijani side, no stories about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the Khojaly genocide has been aired on it. However, the Armenian office of the channel highlights the country’s problems. In this case, there is no need for broadcast of this channel in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The MP also raised an objection to the recent visits of Armenian human rights activists to Azerbaijan. “It’s like that some powers are organizing Armenians’ regular visits to Azerbaijan. Who would guarantee their pure intentions? Azerbaijan’s intelligence agencies should pay attention to this,” he added.
“Most of them come to Baku after paying illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. And every time they express regret and tell us they were unaware of it. Then, the names of many are removed from the blacklist,” she said.
The MP noted that members of the so-called France-Karabakh friendship circle have recently paid an illegal visit to the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. “Such visits are unacceptable and tough measures are needed to be taken in this regard,” added Pashayeva.
MP Rasim Musabeyov objected harsh remarks on Russia, stressing the importance of expanding friendly relations with this country in order to achieve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai