Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
Baku – APA. Azerbaijani MPs called for the reconsideration of the country’s bilateral relations with Russia over the further enhancement of military alliance between Russia and Armenia.
Addressing the parliamentary plenary session on Nov. 29, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that Baku needs to demonstrate a strict position towards Moscow after the recent deployment of Russia’s Iskander missile systems in Armenia and “threatening remarks” made by President Sargsyan in Moscow.
The MP noted that during the April fighting Sargysyan was looking for a mouse hole to hide.
“However, after he found a mouse hole in Moscow, he immediately began to make “threatening remarks” on us,” said Hasanguliyev. “Feeling confident after Russia's supply of Iskander missile systems to Armenia, he “grew bolder.””
According to the MP, Azerbaijan favors the improvement of relations with Russia.
“However, it’s also obvious that though Russia acts as an intermediary in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, this country at the same time backs the occupying state. The level of the Russia-Armenia ties does not match that of the Russia-Azerbaijan ties,” he added.
The MP noted that though the Russia-Azerbaijan ties are of strategic nature, the reality proves otherwise.
“We should no longer turn a blind eye to it. We need to reconsider our bilateral relations with Russia,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “If Russian is really willing its relations with Azerbaijan to be based on strategic partnership, then it needs to demonstrate an unbiased and neutral position regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. If Russia does not change its attitude towards Azerbaijan, then Azerbaijan should get closer to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.”
In his speech, MP Fazil Mustafa noted that despite the free broadcasting of Russian TV channel Mir in Azerbaijan, this channel has never highlighted Azerbaijan’s main problem – the occupation of its territories.
“Though, the channel is financed by the Azerbaijani side, no stories about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the Khojaly genocide has been aired on it. However, the Armenian office of the channel highlights the country’s problems. In this case, there is no need for broadcast of this channel in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The MP also raised an objection to the recent visits of Armenian human rights activists to Azerbaijan. “It’s like that some powers are organizing Armenians’ regular visits to Azerbaijan. Who would guarantee their pure intentions? Azerbaijan’s intelligence agencies should pay attention to this,” he added.
“Most of them come to Baku after paying illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. And every time they express regret and tell us they were unaware of it. Then, the names of many are removed from the blacklist,” she said.
The MP noted that members of the so-called France-Karabakh friendship circle have recently paid an illegal visit to the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. “Such visits are unacceptable and tough measures are needed to be taken in this regard,” added Pashayeva.
MP Rasim Musabeyov objected harsh remarks on Russia, stressing the importance of expanding friendly relations with this country in order to achieve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai