Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
Baku – APA. Azerbaijani MPs called for the reconsideration of the country’s bilateral relations with Russia over the further enhancement of military alliance between Russia and Armenia.
Addressing the parliamentary plenary session on Nov. 29, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that Baku needs to demonstrate a strict position towards Moscow after the recent deployment of Russia’s Iskander missile systems in Armenia and “threatening remarks” made by President Sargsyan in Moscow.
The MP noted that during the April fighting Sargysyan was looking for a mouse hole to hide.
“However, after he found a mouse hole in Moscow, he immediately began to make “threatening remarks” on us,” said Hasanguliyev. “Feeling confident after Russia's supply of Iskander missile systems to Armenia, he “grew bolder.””
According to the MP, Azerbaijan favors the improvement of relations with Russia.
“However, it’s also obvious that though Russia acts as an intermediary in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, this country at the same time backs the occupying state. The level of the Russia-Armenia ties does not match that of the Russia-Azerbaijan ties,” he added.
The MP noted that though the Russia-Azerbaijan ties are of strategic nature, the reality proves otherwise.
“We should no longer turn a blind eye to it. We need to reconsider our bilateral relations with Russia,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “If Russian is really willing its relations with Azerbaijan to be based on strategic partnership, then it needs to demonstrate an unbiased and neutral position regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. If Russia does not change its attitude towards Azerbaijan, then Azerbaijan should get closer to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.”
In his speech, MP Fazil Mustafa noted that despite the free broadcasting of Russian TV channel Mir in Azerbaijan, this channel has never highlighted Azerbaijan’s main problem – the occupation of its territories.
“Though, the channel is financed by the Azerbaijani side, no stories about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the Khojaly genocide has been aired on it. However, the Armenian office of the channel highlights the country’s problems. In this case, there is no need for broadcast of this channel in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The MP also raised an objection to the recent visits of Armenian human rights activists to Azerbaijan. “It’s like that some powers are organizing Armenians’ regular visits to Azerbaijan. Who would guarantee their pure intentions? Azerbaijan’s intelligence agencies should pay attention to this,” he added.
“Most of them come to Baku after paying illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. And every time they express regret and tell us they were unaware of it. Then, the names of many are removed from the blacklist,” she said.
The MP noted that members of the so-called France-Karabakh friendship circle have recently paid an illegal visit to the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. “Such visits are unacceptable and tough measures are needed to be taken in this regard,” added Pashayeva.
MP Rasim Musabeyov objected harsh remarks on Russia, stressing the importance of expanding friendly relations with this country in order to achieve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai