Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
Baku – APA. Azerbaijani MPs called for the reconsideration of the country’s bilateral relations with Russia over the further enhancement of military alliance between Russia and Armenia.
Addressing the parliamentary plenary session on Nov. 29, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that Baku needs to demonstrate a strict position towards Moscow after the recent deployment of Russia’s Iskander missile systems in Armenia and “threatening remarks” made by President Sargsyan in Moscow.
The MP noted that during the April fighting Sargysyan was looking for a mouse hole to hide.
“However, after he found a mouse hole in Moscow, he immediately began to make “threatening remarks” on us,” said Hasanguliyev. “Feeling confident after Russia's supply of Iskander missile systems to Armenia, he “grew bolder.””
According to the MP, Azerbaijan favors the improvement of relations with Russia.
“However, it’s also obvious that though Russia acts as an intermediary in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, this country at the same time backs the occupying state. The level of the Russia-Armenia ties does not match that of the Russia-Azerbaijan ties,” he added.
The MP noted that though the Russia-Azerbaijan ties are of strategic nature, the reality proves otherwise.
“We should no longer turn a blind eye to it. We need to reconsider our bilateral relations with Russia,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “If Russian is really willing its relations with Azerbaijan to be based on strategic partnership, then it needs to demonstrate an unbiased and neutral position regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. If Russia does not change its attitude towards Azerbaijan, then Azerbaijan should get closer to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.”
In his speech, MP Fazil Mustafa noted that despite the free broadcasting of Russian TV channel Mir in Azerbaijan, this channel has never highlighted Azerbaijan’s main problem – the occupation of its territories.
“Though, the channel is financed by the Azerbaijani side, no stories about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the Khojaly genocide has been aired on it. However, the Armenian office of the channel highlights the country’s problems. In this case, there is no need for broadcast of this channel in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The MP also raised an objection to the recent visits of Armenian human rights activists to Azerbaijan. “It’s like that some powers are organizing Armenians’ regular visits to Azerbaijan. Who would guarantee their pure intentions? Azerbaijan’s intelligence agencies should pay attention to this,” he added.
“Most of them come to Baku after paying illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. And every time they express regret and tell us they were unaware of it. Then, the names of many are removed from the blacklist,” she said.
The MP noted that members of the so-called France-Karabakh friendship circle have recently paid an illegal visit to the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. “Such visits are unacceptable and tough measures are needed to be taken in this regard,” added Pashayeva.
MP Rasim Musabeyov objected harsh remarks on Russia, stressing the importance of expanding friendly relations with this country in order to achieve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai