Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
Baku – APA. Azerbaijani MPs called for the reconsideration of the country’s bilateral relations with Russia over the further enhancement of military alliance between Russia and Armenia.
Addressing the parliamentary plenary session on Nov. 29, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said that Baku needs to demonstrate a strict position towards Moscow after the recent deployment of Russia’s Iskander missile systems in Armenia and “threatening remarks” made by President Sargsyan in Moscow.
The MP noted that during the April fighting Sargysyan was looking for a mouse hole to hide.
“However, after he found a mouse hole in Moscow, he immediately began to make “threatening remarks” on us,” said Hasanguliyev. “Feeling confident after Russia's supply of Iskander missile systems to Armenia, he “grew bolder.””
According to the MP, Azerbaijan favors the improvement of relations with Russia.
“However, it’s also obvious that though Russia acts as an intermediary in the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, this country at the same time backs the occupying state. The level of the Russia-Armenia ties does not match that of the Russia-Azerbaijan ties,” he added.
The MP noted that though the Russia-Azerbaijan ties are of strategic nature, the reality proves otherwise.
“We should no longer turn a blind eye to it. We need to reconsider our bilateral relations with Russia,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “If Russian is really willing its relations with Azerbaijan to be based on strategic partnership, then it needs to demonstrate an unbiased and neutral position regarding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. If Russia does not change its attitude towards Azerbaijan, then Azerbaijan should get closer to countries such as Israel and Pakistan.”
In his speech, MP Fazil Mustafa noted that despite the free broadcasting of Russian TV channel Mir in Azerbaijan, this channel has never highlighted Azerbaijan’s main problem – the occupation of its territories.
“Though, the channel is financed by the Azerbaijani side, no stories about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the Khojaly genocide has been aired on it. However, the Armenian office of the channel highlights the country’s problems. In this case, there is no need for broadcast of this channel in Azerbaijan,” he said.
The MP also raised an objection to the recent visits of Armenian human rights activists to Azerbaijan. “It’s like that some powers are organizing Armenians’ regular visits to Azerbaijan. Who would guarantee their pure intentions? Azerbaijan’s intelligence agencies should pay attention to this,” he added.
“Most of them come to Baku after paying illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories. And every time they express regret and tell us they were unaware of it. Then, the names of many are removed from the blacklist,” she said.
The MP noted that members of the so-called France-Karabakh friendship circle have recently paid an illegal visit to the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. “Such visits are unacceptable and tough measures are needed to be taken in this regard,” added Pashayeva.
MP Rasim Musabeyov objected harsh remarks on Russia, stressing the importance of expanding friendly relations with this country in order to achieve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict’s settlement.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai