Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
Chairman of the United Azerbaijan Popular Front Party, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev has commented on the killing of numerous people by a local named Stephen Paddock, 64, at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino at a country music festival in Las Vegas Strip.
Hasanguliyev noted that there are serious reasons behind the tragedy.
The MP noted that those civilians killed and wounded in this tragic incident were victims of the political corruption in the United States.
According to him, this tragedy is not a massacre committed by a psychopath.
“Discussions have been held for many years on restrictions on arms sales in the United States. Since 1975, this process has gained a wider scope,” Hasanguliyev said. “Everyone in the US now understands that arms sales should be under strict control of the government. That is to say, they have to determine who can sell weapons, in what psychological state the person is, and what his past is like. However, despite the public protests, the chaos in the sale of arms is not being dealt with properly.”
He stressed that the scale of the tragedy, therefore, is quite broad.
“I took a look at recent statistics. In the first nine months of this year alone, 8,673 people were shot dead in the United States. In 2014, this figure was 8,124. That is, the figure is increasing every year,” he said.
The MP also touched upon a comparative article he had recently read in the US media.
“The average number of people killed with firearms in Europe per year is about 1 to 2 people per million. In some developed western countries such as Canada, Portugal, and Greece, this figure reaches a maximum of 4-5 people. Take, for example, our country. Undoubtedly, we are not yet a developed country as European countries,” he said.
Hasanguliyev pointed out that in Azerbaijan, the number of people killed by firearms per year is below the average European rate.
“However, this figure is 31 people per million over a year in the US. Can you imagine what this means? This figure is 16 times higher than in Europe and in our country. This undoubtedly seriously disturbs ordinary citizens and honest people in the U.S. Of curse in this case, such a question arises why the US does not adopt a law restricting arms sales? Therefore, I started my speech with that those killed in the Las Vegas massacre were actually the victims of the political corruption,” the MP said.
He pointed to the fact that the National Rifle Association (NRA) was established in the US in 1871. “The Association has about 5 million members. The leadership of the Association consists mainly of Republicans.”
According to Hasanguliyev, the NRA played a significant role in the election of Donald Trump as the US President.
“In the world there is no such product, the sale of which brings a profit of 2 thousand percent, that is, it exceeds the cost price by 20 times. For example, a weapon with a cost of $5 is sold for $100. Thus, arms trade is one of the most profitable businesses in the world,” he added.
Hasanguliyev justified through facts his opinions that those killed in Las Vegas were the victims of political corruption.
“All studies conducted in the US in this direction show that the NRA has great merit in promoting the career of Republicans (88%) and Democrats (11%). According to the studies, the NRA provides funds to 47% of the Republicans along with its support to them in the election campaign. Imagine that Barack Obama, during the eight years of his presidency, couldn’t achieve the adoption of the law on an arms sales restriction. The NRA and the congressmen under its influence did not allow it. As you see almost every day in the US, anyone who is dissatisfied with his parents, teacher, or schoolteacher, or anybody who quarrelling with his or her family members commit mass shootings by firearms. They carry out these murders at schools, universities, and mass gatherings of people so as to put a greater stress on society. They shoot children, innocent people for no reason,” he said.
Despite all this, the law on restricting arms sales in the US is not approved, the MP added.
“Those congressmen who are trying to teach the world how to fight corruption are well aware that innocent people and children who are US citizens have been killed because of that law still not being in force, but they still do not take that step. They make reference to Appendix #2 to the US Constitution that citizens have the right to keep guns. Certainly, the Constitution is nothing but a pretext to conceal additional corporate interests. The reason is that the companies involved in the manufacture and sale of arms make big revenues. Some of these revenues reach those congressmen involved in corruption. From this point of view, it can be pointed out that the last tragedy in the United States is the bloody outcome of political corruption. Since 1975, there have been ten different initiatives for new laws on arms sales restrictions, but every time these initiatives have been blocked by the National Rifle Association and Congressmen who lobbied this association. I have to remind you that within the Foundation they have established the "Political Victory Fund", a name that is self-explanatory. That is the fund to win a political victory ... The approval of the law on restricting arms sales is being prevented through this fund and other means. This is a shameful fact for the United States, a self-proclaimed democratic state that considers itself a world power. I think they should be ashamed a little when they accuse other countries of corruption,” Hasanguliyev said concluding his remarks.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 07.05.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds event to mark 95th birth anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 04.05.2018Turkish cargo vessel, Greek warship collide in Aegean
- 04.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Economic development fully ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development