Azerbaijani MP speaks out against utility price hikes
At the plenary meeting of the Azerbaijani parliament on Wednesday, MP Yevda Abramov condemned the country’s Tariff Council and some MPs over the idea of raising public utility prices.
“I know there are some budget deficits which have now caused the current price hike. But we could have solved compensated for this deficit some other ways, such as by subsidizing those structures or by increasing the quota (quota varies between 62% and 72%),” he said. “We had a referendum recently and the people expressed unanimous support for President Ilham Aliyev.”
The MP said he is not sure of what the Tariff Council’s decision-making criteria are.
“I’m calling on some MPs: Let’s live in hardship for at least two or three years with our people—just as Mr President does—so that we can get over this difficult time,” he added.
The MP also touched on the sale of dollars on black market. He said this issue needs controlling.
“Dollar is on sale at the exits of subway stations. Dollar is sold for prices with 4-5 manats of difference in a day. Where do they get these dollars?” Abramov said, adding. Some are going to get offended by what I’m saying. But how come our officials own such luxurious villas everywhere, in the garden, in the mountain, so on. The year 2017, too, will be difficult. Our officials must stand by the people.”
The MP expressed his concerns over the situation in a museum created within the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex.
“This museum is visited by foreigners every day. Imagine that the electricity was cut off in the museum,” he said.
In response to the MP’s speech, Speaker Ogtay Asadov said 62 percent quota doesn’t mean that all of them are poor. “Some of them have 4-room houses. I didn’t intend to interfere in your speech, but wanted to inform you,” he said.
MP Tahir Rzayev said there are economic problems in the country and they couldn’t be hidden.
He noted that global economic crisis also affected Azerbaijan.
Rzayev expressed concern about jobs cuts. “Firing librarians, charwomen is wrong. They receive low salaries and supporting families with them. Some employers are firing them, appointing advisors, driving expensive cars. Squandering must be avoided. The private sector should be developed, construction sector should be supported,” he added.
MP Musa Guliyev stressed the need to develop non-oil sector, as well as the spheres of transport and agriculture in the country.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan expects economic growth in next four years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament begins 2017 state budget discussion
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani President: "The April battles are our glorious history"