Azerbaijani MP speaks out against utility price hikes
At the plenary meeting of the Azerbaijani parliament on Wednesday, MP Yevda Abramov condemned the country’s Tariff Council and some MPs over the idea of raising public utility prices.
“I know there are some budget deficits which have now caused the current price hike. But we could have solved compensated for this deficit some other ways, such as by subsidizing those structures or by increasing the quota (quota varies between 62% and 72%),” he said. “We had a referendum recently and the people expressed unanimous support for President Ilham Aliyev.”
The MP said he is not sure of what the Tariff Council’s decision-making criteria are.
“I’m calling on some MPs: Let’s live in hardship for at least two or three years with our people—just as Mr President does—so that we can get over this difficult time,” he added.
The MP also touched on the sale of dollars on black market. He said this issue needs controlling.
“Dollar is on sale at the exits of subway stations. Dollar is sold for prices with 4-5 manats of difference in a day. Where do they get these dollars?” Abramov said, adding. Some are going to get offended by what I’m saying. But how come our officials own such luxurious villas everywhere, in the garden, in the mountain, so on. The year 2017, too, will be difficult. Our officials must stand by the people.”
The MP expressed his concerns over the situation in a museum created within the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex.
“This museum is visited by foreigners every day. Imagine that the electricity was cut off in the museum,” he said.
In response to the MP’s speech, Speaker Ogtay Asadov said 62 percent quota doesn’t mean that all of them are poor. “Some of them have 4-room houses. I didn’t intend to interfere in your speech, but wanted to inform you,” he said.
MP Tahir Rzayev said there are economic problems in the country and they couldn’t be hidden.
He noted that global economic crisis also affected Azerbaijan.
Rzayev expressed concern about jobs cuts. “Firing librarians, charwomen is wrong. They receive low salaries and supporting families with them. Some employers are firing them, appointing advisors, driving expensive cars. Squandering must be avoided. The private sector should be developed, construction sector should be supported,” he added.
MP Musa Guliyev stressed the need to develop non-oil sector, as well as the spheres of transport and agriculture in the country.
Related news releases
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan expects economic growth in next four years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament begins 2017 state budget discussion
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani President: "The April battles are our glorious history"