Azerbaijani MP speaks out against utility price hikes
At the plenary meeting of the Azerbaijani parliament on Wednesday, MP Yevda Abramov condemned the country’s Tariff Council and some MPs over the idea of raising public utility prices.
“I know there are some budget deficits which have now caused the current price hike. But we could have solved compensated for this deficit some other ways, such as by subsidizing those structures or by increasing the quota (quota varies between 62% and 72%),” he said. “We had a referendum recently and the people expressed unanimous support for President Ilham Aliyev.”
The MP said he is not sure of what the Tariff Council’s decision-making criteria are.
“I’m calling on some MPs: Let’s live in hardship for at least two or three years with our people—just as Mr President does—so that we can get over this difficult time,” he added.
The MP also touched on the sale of dollars on black market. He said this issue needs controlling.
“Dollar is on sale at the exits of subway stations. Dollar is sold for prices with 4-5 manats of difference in a day. Where do they get these dollars?” Abramov said, adding. Some are going to get offended by what I’m saying. But how come our officials own such luxurious villas everywhere, in the garden, in the mountain, so on. The year 2017, too, will be difficult. Our officials must stand by the people.”
The MP expressed his concerns over the situation in a museum created within the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex.
“This museum is visited by foreigners every day. Imagine that the electricity was cut off in the museum,” he said.
In response to the MP’s speech, Speaker Ogtay Asadov said 62 percent quota doesn’t mean that all of them are poor. “Some of them have 4-room houses. I didn’t intend to interfere in your speech, but wanted to inform you,” he said.
MP Tahir Rzayev said there are economic problems in the country and they couldn’t be hidden.
He noted that global economic crisis also affected Azerbaijan.
Rzayev expressed concern about jobs cuts. “Firing librarians, charwomen is wrong. They receive low salaries and supporting families with them. Some employers are firing them, appointing advisors, driving expensive cars. Squandering must be avoided. The private sector should be developed, construction sector should be supported,” he added.
MP Musa Guliyev stressed the need to develop non-oil sector, as well as the spheres of transport and agriculture in the country.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan expects economic growth in next four years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament begins 2017 state budget discussion
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani President: "The April battles are our glorious history"