Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
Given the phased implementation of the “Strategic Road Map” prepared on the Azerbaijani president’s initiative, districts’ social-economic development, landscaping work, etc, it can be said that the government has done well in the trouble period of the past year, said Deputy Executive Secretary of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, MP Siyavush Novruvoz.
He made the remarks during the discussion of the government’s report for 2016 at the parliament on Friday.
The lawmaker expressed confidence in further continuation of such activities in the country.
“Some issues are compared to other countries. When we look at oil or non-oil countries, we can see the price hike as well as the differences in currency rates. This is commonplace in China, Russia, and Turkey as well,” said Novruzov, raising objection to the artificial price hike in the country and calling for the necessary measures to be taken.
He proposed that commercial banks be prevented from giving loans at high interest rates in order to keep local entrepreneurship developing.
“If this does not happen, an entrepreneur who took loans will not be able to engage in business. If banks receive dollar deposits from some citizens at 3 percent, they give them to other citizens at 24 percent. In this case, they receive a profit from one person at 21 percent. The citizen doesn’t take the loan at this interest to repay it,” he said.
It is clear that citizens taking loans at high interest will not be able to repay for them, said the MP, urging the Central Bank to strictly follow this matter.
Novruzov accused banks of taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens.
“Banks, taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens, make them dependent on law-enforcement authorities. These issues should be seriously analyzed given world practice,” he added.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year