Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev raised an issue in parliament on Friday over the recent accident in the Caspian Sea in which ten oil workers went missing.
The MP said the fact that this is already the second such accident within a year is very serious and dangerous signal.
He noted that this accident may be a provocation by some country.
“Azerbaijan is bordered by countries that are not very pleased with the policy we pursue. This accident too may have been masterminded by special service agencies of these countries,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “Another possibility is that it may have occurred because of the irresponsibility of some officials. For this reason, I believe our parliament should react to this. Let us appeal to the prosecutor general’s office and let them find out the causes. I wish patience for the families of the dead.”
Speaker Ogtay Asadov raised his objection, saying a state committee is dealing with the problem.
“What could the parliament do before they investigate and discover the causes?” the speaker noted.
An accident took place at about 05:00 p.m., on Dec. 15, due to strong wind, which blew away a part of a flyover of a 150-meter long oil-gathering station of the Oil and Gas Production Department of SOCAR’s Azneft Production Union.
According to preliminary reports, five people, who were on duty at the gathering station, and five people, who were in the booth, are missing.
The body of Ilham Gafarov, one of the missing oilmen, was found at about 14:00 (UTC/GMT+4) on Dec. 15.
A special group has been created to investigate the accident.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”