Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev raised an issue in parliament on Friday over the recent accident in the Caspian Sea in which ten oil workers went missing.
The MP said the fact that this is already the second such accident within a year is very serious and dangerous signal.
He noted that this accident may be a provocation by some country.
“Azerbaijan is bordered by countries that are not very pleased with the policy we pursue. This accident too may have been masterminded by special service agencies of these countries,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “Another possibility is that it may have occurred because of the irresponsibility of some officials. For this reason, I believe our parliament should react to this. Let us appeal to the prosecutor general’s office and let them find out the causes. I wish patience for the families of the dead.”
Speaker Ogtay Asadov raised his objection, saying a state committee is dealing with the problem.
“What could the parliament do before they investigate and discover the causes?” the speaker noted.
An accident took place at about 05:00 p.m., on Dec. 15, due to strong wind, which blew away a part of a flyover of a 150-meter long oil-gathering station of the Oil and Gas Production Department of SOCAR’s Azneft Production Union.
According to preliminary reports, five people, who were on duty at the gathering station, and five people, who were in the booth, are missing.
The body of Ilham Gafarov, one of the missing oilmen, was found at about 14:00 (UTC/GMT+4) on Dec. 15.
A special group has been created to investigate the accident.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”