Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev raised an issue in parliament on Friday over the recent accident in the Caspian Sea in which ten oil workers went missing.
The MP said the fact that this is already the second such accident within a year is very serious and dangerous signal.
He noted that this accident may be a provocation by some country.
“Azerbaijan is bordered by countries that are not very pleased with the policy we pursue. This accident too may have been masterminded by special service agencies of these countries,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “Another possibility is that it may have occurred because of the irresponsibility of some officials. For this reason, I believe our parliament should react to this. Let us appeal to the prosecutor general’s office and let them find out the causes. I wish patience for the families of the dead.”
Speaker Ogtay Asadov raised his objection, saying a state committee is dealing with the problem.
“What could the parliament do before they investigate and discover the causes?” the speaker noted.
An accident took place at about 05:00 p.m., on Dec. 15, due to strong wind, which blew away a part of a flyover of a 150-meter long oil-gathering station of the Oil and Gas Production Department of SOCAR’s Azneft Production Union.
According to preliminary reports, five people, who were on duty at the gathering station, and five people, who were in the booth, are missing.
The body of Ilham Gafarov, one of the missing oilmen, was found at about 14:00 (UTC/GMT+4) on Dec. 15.
A special group has been created to investigate the accident.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 15.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Defense Ministry’s press service creates conditions for press to write about army
- 15.12.2017Media should only disseminate information verified by Azerbaijani MoD – MP
- 15.12.2017MP Fazil Mustafa criticizes activities of Penitentiary Service
- 15.12.2017New bill on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan adopted in second reading
- 15.12.2017Media should not be banned from writing about army – MP Hasanguliyev
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani MP proposes introducing parliamentary control over Armed Forces
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates administrative building of YAP Sumgayit city branch
- 15.12.2017Suicide attempt of young boy prevented in Baku
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”