Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev raised an issue in parliament on Friday over the recent accident in the Caspian Sea in which ten oil workers went missing.
The MP said the fact that this is already the second such accident within a year is very serious and dangerous signal.
He noted that this accident may be a provocation by some country.
“Azerbaijan is bordered by countries that are not very pleased with the policy we pursue. This accident too may have been masterminded by special service agencies of these countries,” Hasanguliyev said, adding. “Another possibility is that it may have occurred because of the irresponsibility of some officials. For this reason, I believe our parliament should react to this. Let us appeal to the prosecutor general’s office and let them find out the causes. I wish patience for the families of the dead.”
Speaker Ogtay Asadov raised his objection, saying a state committee is dealing with the problem.
“What could the parliament do before they investigate and discover the causes?” the speaker noted.
An accident took place at about 05:00 p.m., on Dec. 15, due to strong wind, which blew away a part of a flyover of a 150-meter long oil-gathering station of the Oil and Gas Production Department of SOCAR’s Azneft Production Union.
According to preliminary reports, five people, who were on duty at the gathering station, and five people, who were in the booth, are missing.
The body of Ilham Gafarov, one of the missing oilmen, was found at about 14:00 (UTC/GMT+4) on Dec. 15.
A special group has been created to investigate the accident.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”