Azerbaijani MP proposes minimal score for membership of Bar Association be reduced from 60 to 50
At today's meeting of the Azerbaijani parliament, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev made a proposal on entrance exams for membership of the Bar Association.
According to him, at present, there are 8 lawyers per 100 people in Azerbaijan, which is a very small ratio.
He noted that the number of lawyers in European countries is 40-45 times more than in Azerbaijan.
"There were about 2,000 requests for membership in the Bar Association, but unfortunately, only 600 people passed, so it is necessary to adopt a new law on lawyers during the spring session. I recommend that the minimal score be reduced from 60 to 50. In this case, a large number of new members may be elected to the Bar Association. There are some districts where there is a judge, but no lawyer. Civil rights should seriously concern us. We must take on at least 3 judges and 4-5 attorneys in each district. Even if all of those applicants were members of the Board, the number would still be 20 times fewer compared to the European countries. That's why we need to make radical decisions,” said the lawmaker.
Hasanguliyev backed Siyavush Novruzov’s proposal to announce an amnesty.
He said that it would be better to announce an amnesty on the occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s 95th birth anniversary, as well as the 100th anniversary of establishment of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
“This year also marks the 80th birth anniversary of late president Abulfaz Elchibey. I also think that the adoption of an amnesty act is important in terms of our national interests. In particular, the amnesty can be applied to all persons except those who committed serious crimes. But this does not mean that all these persons must be freed. Punishments against these persons can be mitigated,” he added.
Vice Speaker Ziyafat Asgarov also referred to the problem with the number of lawyers in the country.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 09.02.2018Ilgar Abbasov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party submits documents to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC to develop mechanism for monitoring social networks
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is one of safest countries worldwide
- 08.02.2018Multiculturalism is lifestyle in Azerbaijan - President Aliyev
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendment to law on citizenship
- 01.02.2018MP claims foreigners being conscripted into military service in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018New head of Yasamal district executive authority appointed
- 01.02.2018MP from ruling party reveals to whom next amnesty act may apply to
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes adoption of amnesty act on occasion of Heydar Aliyev’s 95th birth anniversary
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament may hold special session on centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic