Azerbaijani MP proposes minimal score for membership of Bar Association be reduced from 60 to 50
At today's meeting of the Azerbaijani parliament, MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev made a proposal on entrance exams for membership of the Bar Association.
According to him, at present, there are 8 lawyers per 100 people in Azerbaijan, which is a very small ratio.
He noted that the number of lawyers in European countries is 40-45 times more than in Azerbaijan.
"There were about 2,000 requests for membership in the Bar Association, but unfortunately, only 600 people passed, so it is necessary to adopt a new law on lawyers during the spring session. I recommend that the minimal score be reduced from 60 to 50. In this case, a large number of new members may be elected to the Bar Association. There are some districts where there is a judge, but no lawyer. Civil rights should seriously concern us. We must take on at least 3 judges and 4-5 attorneys in each district. Even if all of those applicants were members of the Board, the number would still be 20 times fewer compared to the European countries. That's why we need to make radical decisions,” said the lawmaker.
Hasanguliyev backed Siyavush Novruzov’s proposal to announce an amnesty.
He said that it would be better to announce an amnesty on the occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s 95th birth anniversary, as well as the 100th anniversary of establishment of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
“This year also marks the 80th birth anniversary of late president Abulfaz Elchibey. I also think that the adoption of an amnesty act is important in terms of our national interests. In particular, the amnesty can be applied to all persons except those who committed serious crimes. But this does not mean that all these persons must be freed. Punishments against these persons can be mitigated,” he added.
Vice Speaker Ziyafat Asgarov also referred to the problem with the number of lawyers in the country.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendment to law on citizenship
- 01.02.2018MP claims foreigners being conscripted into military service in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2018New head of Yasamal district executive authority appointed
- 01.02.2018MP from ruling party reveals to whom next amnesty act may apply to
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes adoption of amnesty act on occasion of Heydar Aliyev’s 95th birth anniversary
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament may hold special session on centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic