Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide