Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide