Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide