Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 23.02.2017Nakhchivan’s Supreme Assembly approves constitutional amendments
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nothing can hinder realization of Southern Gas Corridor
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite being a small country, Azerbaijan is doing huge work
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide