Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 16.06.201714th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges
- 14.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev views reconstruction work in Jojug Marjanli village
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s ruling party holds event on National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani economy to enter a new stage: deputy PM
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of late Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 13.06.2017Last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session to take place on June 30
- 13.06.2017Notions of terrorist and terror broadened in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins extraordinary session
- 13.06.2017Russia would not have allowed to manipulate itself if joined NATO
- 12.06.2017Flights canceled, trains suspended as China braces for Typhoon
- 12.06.2017Deputy Heads of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 09.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences over death of Energy Minister Natig Aliyev
- 08.06.2017Iranian embassy in Azerbaijan makes statement on terrorist attacks in Tehran
- 07.06.2017Azerbaijani expanding notion of terrorist and terror
- 06.06.2017Prosecutor General: Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry played a great role in exposing spy network
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan has effective mechanism to combat corruption: prosecutor general
- 06.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Human rights and freedoms ensured in Azerbaijan
- 05.06.2017Families of people killed combating terrorism to get 90-fold of the deceased’s salary
- 05.06.2017Azerbaijan increases number of deputy justice ministers
- 05.06.2017Elchin Guliyev appointed head of Azerbaijan’s State Border Service
- 02.06.2017Assistant to first vice-president: Azerbaijan is passing through important stage of reforms - INTERVIEW
- 01.06.2017Maharram Aliyev relieved of his duties
- 01.06.2017Institute of advisers under Azerbaijani Presidential Administration abolished
- 01.06.2017New departments created in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant for defense issues dismissed
- 01.06.2017Head of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 01.06.2017Fatma Abdullazade relieved of her duties
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide