Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
Armenians engage in disinformation to upset Azerbaijanis, and unfortunately, in some online media outlets in Azerbaijan are managed by unprofessional people who spread this sort of information, Rashad Majid, editor-in-chief of the newspaper 525th, told APA.
He was commenting on the dissemination by some local media outlets of information as well as photos and videos spread by Armenians claiming to be of the latest incidents on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops.
“I understand people and the tension they experience in conditions of shortage of information. But still, we have to be patient so as not to lose the information warfare,” he said.
He noted that the Press Council has held serious discussions in this regard since last year’s April operations.
“It hasn’t been possible for the time being to find a way to tackle this issue. Perhaps the responsibility of online media will also be defined in the future. Every serious person of media is concerned by these issues,” said the chief editor. “Sometimes it stems from unprofessionalism on social networks and online media and sometimes it comes from patriotism and emotionality. Either way, the result is that we unintentionally lend a hand to the enemy.”
President of APA Holding Vusale Mahirgizi said that it is inadmissible of Azerbaijani news websites to copy and share pieces of information about the latest developments published by Armenian media.
She noted that it is unacceptable to refer to other news, videos or photos of other sources except the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry and reliable information sources.
“We can demand official information sources to be more operative. There may be objective and subjective reasons for a delay in the dissemination of news. Personally, I favor a more rapid work for the local and international communities to refer to Azerbaijani sources. Obtaining information and disseminating it is a natural right of media,” Mahirgizi said.
She stressed the inadmissibility of referring to Armenian disinformation, calling for a legal action to be taken against the media outlets which are continuing such activities despite repeated warnings.
“Necessary legal steps should be taken in this regard. Serving the Armenian propaganda machine and distributing Armenian disinformation is a crime,” said Mahirgizi, noting that Armenian disinformation is aimed at dispiriting the Azerbaijani people.
Speaking to APA, Rauf Arifoglu, editor-in-chief of Yeni Musavat, stressed that the spread of any provocative information of the Armenian side by Azerbaijani media outlets is inadmissible and it serves the purposes of the Armenians.
“We should be careful especially in such cases. However, I think that the Defense Ministry and other official bodies need to improve information policy. We shouldn’t allow the internal auditory to be dictated the information policy by other countries’ news websites, as well as those belonging to Armenians. We should be provided with prompt news as in April last year to prevent such provocations. I have seen the latest materials. It is not right to disseminate them with inaccurate origin, whereas I think that those who pursue the official information policy of Azerbaijan should create opportunities for media to act promptly and provide it with information”, he said.
Arifoglu said Armenian disinformation is aimed at to create a stir among Azerbaijanis.
“They intend to agitate the Azerbaijani people, especially social network users with such news and make them feel pessimist. My call is that we, the media, should regard this issue as world war. In such cases, the news sector of the Defense Ministry should work extra hours and doesn’t allow the enemy’s provocation to be realized.”
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide