Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said on Friday he thinks the number of officials in the country’s public administration system must be reduced by 30 percent.
In developed countries as well as in developing countries, the number of officials is twice as few compare to Azerbaijan, the MP said addressing the parliamentary committees’ joint meeting dedicated to the discussion of the 2017 state budget packaged.
“Let’s at least do some 30 percent reduction in administrative management and the Cabinet of Ministers so that we can save some funds to spend on more efficient programmes,” he said. “Most of the officials do not get high salary anyway. So, by doing this reduction, we would both save on the budget and at the same time provide other officials—the ones who are capable enough—fair wages.”
Hasanguliyev also proposed that the wages of teachers and doctors be increased.
“Pensions too should be increased, at least twice as much. The salaries of front line servicemen should also be increased,” he added.
The MP also proposed that NGOs’ access to sources of foreign grants be simplified.
“This would both have positive impact on the country’s image and also give impetus to the development of this sector,” he said.
The MP also brought to the attention of participants that recently a refugee family from Fuzuli burned alive in a house fire in Baku. “I was deeply saddened by that news. Housing conditions of the refugees and internally displaced persons should be improved,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also expressed his objection against lack of necessary support to entrepreneurship. “We do not allocate funds to the Fund for Entrepreneurship Support, banks don’t grant loans and the Azerbaijani manat is in a floating rate. Entrepreneurs should know the exchange rate of manat. Otherwise, they will not spend funds”, he added.
The MP stressed the importance of funds invested abroad into the country.
“We allocate 350 million funds to Serbia at 4 percent for 15 years. However, Azerbaijan Railways CJSC is seeking loans. Let’s keep the funds in local banks at 4 percent and direct them for development of the country. If loans are needed for the CJSC in future, it will be granted at 7 percent at least,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also emphasized the importance of privatization of large companies. “If Azersu, Azeriqaz and Azerishiq are not privatized, the situation will not change”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book