Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said on Friday he thinks the number of officials in the country’s public administration system must be reduced by 30 percent.
In developed countries as well as in developing countries, the number of officials is twice as few compare to Azerbaijan, the MP said addressing the parliamentary committees’ joint meeting dedicated to the discussion of the 2017 state budget packaged.
“Let’s at least do some 30 percent reduction in administrative management and the Cabinet of Ministers so that we can save some funds to spend on more efficient programmes,” he said. “Most of the officials do not get high salary anyway. So, by doing this reduction, we would both save on the budget and at the same time provide other officials—the ones who are capable enough—fair wages.”
Hasanguliyev also proposed that the wages of teachers and doctors be increased.
“Pensions too should be increased, at least twice as much. The salaries of front line servicemen should also be increased,” he added.
The MP also proposed that NGOs’ access to sources of foreign grants be simplified.
“This would both have positive impact on the country’s image and also give impetus to the development of this sector,” he said.
The MP also brought to the attention of participants that recently a refugee family from Fuzuli burned alive in a house fire in Baku. “I was deeply saddened by that news. Housing conditions of the refugees and internally displaced persons should be improved,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also expressed his objection against lack of necessary support to entrepreneurship. “We do not allocate funds to the Fund for Entrepreneurship Support, banks don’t grant loans and the Azerbaijani manat is in a floating rate. Entrepreneurs should know the exchange rate of manat. Otherwise, they will not spend funds”, he added.
The MP stressed the importance of funds invested abroad into the country.
“We allocate 350 million funds to Serbia at 4 percent for 15 years. However, Azerbaijan Railways CJSC is seeking loans. Let’s keep the funds in local banks at 4 percent and direct them for development of the country. If loans are needed for the CJSC in future, it will be granted at 7 percent at least,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also emphasized the importance of privatization of large companies. “If Azersu, Azeriqaz and Azerishiq are not privatized, the situation will not change”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book