Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said on Friday he thinks the number of officials in the country’s public administration system must be reduced by 30 percent.
In developed countries as well as in developing countries, the number of officials is twice as few compare to Azerbaijan, the MP said addressing the parliamentary committees’ joint meeting dedicated to the discussion of the 2017 state budget packaged.
“Let’s at least do some 30 percent reduction in administrative management and the Cabinet of Ministers so that we can save some funds to spend on more efficient programmes,” he said. “Most of the officials do not get high salary anyway. So, by doing this reduction, we would both save on the budget and at the same time provide other officials—the ones who are capable enough—fair wages.”
Hasanguliyev also proposed that the wages of teachers and doctors be increased.
“Pensions too should be increased, at least twice as much. The salaries of front line servicemen should also be increased,” he added.
The MP also proposed that NGOs’ access to sources of foreign grants be simplified.
“This would both have positive impact on the country’s image and also give impetus to the development of this sector,” he said.
The MP also brought to the attention of participants that recently a refugee family from Fuzuli burned alive in a house fire in Baku. “I was deeply saddened by that news. Housing conditions of the refugees and internally displaced persons should be improved,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also expressed his objection against lack of necessary support to entrepreneurship. “We do not allocate funds to the Fund for Entrepreneurship Support, banks don’t grant loans and the Azerbaijani manat is in a floating rate. Entrepreneurs should know the exchange rate of manat. Otherwise, they will not spend funds”, he added.
The MP stressed the importance of funds invested abroad into the country.
“We allocate 350 million funds to Serbia at 4 percent for 15 years. However, Azerbaijan Railways CJSC is seeking loans. Let’s keep the funds in local banks at 4 percent and direct them for development of the country. If loans are needed for the CJSC in future, it will be granted at 7 percent at least,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also emphasized the importance of privatization of large companies. “If Azersu, Azeriqaz and Azerishiq are not privatized, the situation will not change”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book