Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said on Friday he thinks the number of officials in the country’s public administration system must be reduced by 30 percent.
In developed countries as well as in developing countries, the number of officials is twice as few compare to Azerbaijan, the MP said addressing the parliamentary committees’ joint meeting dedicated to the discussion of the 2017 state budget packaged.
“Let’s at least do some 30 percent reduction in administrative management and the Cabinet of Ministers so that we can save some funds to spend on more efficient programmes,” he said. “Most of the officials do not get high salary anyway. So, by doing this reduction, we would both save on the budget and at the same time provide other officials—the ones who are capable enough—fair wages.”
Hasanguliyev also proposed that the wages of teachers and doctors be increased.
“Pensions too should be increased, at least twice as much. The salaries of front line servicemen should also be increased,” he added.
The MP also proposed that NGOs’ access to sources of foreign grants be simplified.
“This would both have positive impact on the country’s image and also give impetus to the development of this sector,” he said.
The MP also brought to the attention of participants that recently a refugee family from Fuzuli burned alive in a house fire in Baku. “I was deeply saddened by that news. Housing conditions of the refugees and internally displaced persons should be improved,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also expressed his objection against lack of necessary support to entrepreneurship. “We do not allocate funds to the Fund for Entrepreneurship Support, banks don’t grant loans and the Azerbaijani manat is in a floating rate. Entrepreneurs should know the exchange rate of manat. Otherwise, they will not spend funds”, he added.
The MP stressed the importance of funds invested abroad into the country.
“We allocate 350 million funds to Serbia at 4 percent for 15 years. However, Azerbaijan Railways CJSC is seeking loans. Let’s keep the funds in local banks at 4 percent and direct them for development of the country. If loans are needed for the CJSC in future, it will be granted at 7 percent at least,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also emphasized the importance of privatization of large companies. “If Azersu, Azeriqaz and Azerishiq are not privatized, the situation will not change”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Ministers and chairmen of committees appointed to the new government of Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018Chairman of Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency appointed
- 23.04.2018New appointments made for vacant posts in Cabinet of Ministers - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Ali Hasanov: US State Department's attitude to situation in Azerbaijan is biased as always
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: 44 out of 55 political parties submitted annual financial reports
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry confirms detention of ex-MP Huseyn Abdullayev
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book