Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev said on Friday he thinks the number of officials in the country’s public administration system must be reduced by 30 percent.
In developed countries as well as in developing countries, the number of officials is twice as few compare to Azerbaijan, the MP said addressing the parliamentary committees’ joint meeting dedicated to the discussion of the 2017 state budget packaged.
“Let’s at least do some 30 percent reduction in administrative management and the Cabinet of Ministers so that we can save some funds to spend on more efficient programmes,” he said. “Most of the officials do not get high salary anyway. So, by doing this reduction, we would both save on the budget and at the same time provide other officials—the ones who are capable enough—fair wages.”
Hasanguliyev also proposed that the wages of teachers and doctors be increased.
“Pensions too should be increased, at least twice as much. The salaries of front line servicemen should also be increased,” he added.
The MP also proposed that NGOs’ access to sources of foreign grants be simplified.
“This would both have positive impact on the country’s image and also give impetus to the development of this sector,” he said.
The MP also brought to the attention of participants that recently a refugee family from Fuzuli burned alive in a house fire in Baku. “I was deeply saddened by that news. Housing conditions of the refugees and internally displaced persons should be improved,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also expressed his objection against lack of necessary support to entrepreneurship. “We do not allocate funds to the Fund for Entrepreneurship Support, banks don’t grant loans and the Azerbaijani manat is in a floating rate. Entrepreneurs should know the exchange rate of manat. Otherwise, they will not spend funds”, he added.
The MP stressed the importance of funds invested abroad into the country.
“We allocate 350 million funds to Serbia at 4 percent for 15 years. However, Azerbaijan Railways CJSC is seeking loans. Let’s keep the funds in local banks at 4 percent and direct them for development of the country. If loans are needed for the CJSC in future, it will be granted at 7 percent at least,” he said.
Hasanguliyev also emphasized the importance of privatization of large companies. “If Azersu, Azeriqaz and Azerishiq are not privatized, the situation will not change”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book