Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
A person found guilty of crime against property or evasion from customs and tax will not be brought criminal charges against in case the damage caused is repaid.
In this regard, new articles (73-1 exemption from criminal liability for crime against property and (73-2 exemption from criminal liability for crime in the sphere of economic activity) have been proposed to the Criminal Code by Azerbaijan’s president, APA reported.
Under new Article 73-1, a person who has committed the crimes mentioned in articles 178.1 (swindle, is maintaining another persons property or buying another persons property by a deceit or breach of confidence), 179.1 (misappropiration or waste, is plunder of property entrusted to guilty by another person), 186.1 (deliberate destruction or damage of another's property which caused significant damage to a victim), 187 (destruction or damage of property on imprudence) and 189-1.1 (implementation of telephone conversations by illegal entry in communication line of telephone number belonging to subscriber, causing damage to a victim in the significant size) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan will be exempt from criminal liability in case the person is forgiven by the victim and the damage caused is fully repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine, community service, and imprisonment for up to two years.
According to the proposed article, if a person who has committed the abovementioned actions with causing serious damage reconciles with the victim, fully compensates the damage and pays to the state budget one equivalent of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to seven years.
If the above-mentioned acts are committed by an organized group with major damage and if group members reconcile with the victim, fully compensate the damage and pays to the state budget the double of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
According to new Article 73-2, a person has committed the crimes mentioned in Article 209 (evasion from payment of customs charges) and 213 (evasion from payment of taxes) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability in case the damage caused is repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to three years.
The draft amendments will be tabled at the parliament after public hearings on September 29.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties