Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
A person found guilty of crime against property or evasion from customs and tax will not be brought criminal charges against in case the damage caused is repaid.
In this regard, new articles (73-1 exemption from criminal liability for crime against property and (73-2 exemption from criminal liability for crime in the sphere of economic activity) have been proposed to the Criminal Code by Azerbaijan’s president, APA reported.
Under new Article 73-1, a person who has committed the crimes mentioned in articles 178.1 (swindle, is maintaining another persons property or buying another persons property by a deceit or breach of confidence), 179.1 (misappropiration or waste, is plunder of property entrusted to guilty by another person), 186.1 (deliberate destruction or damage of another's property which caused significant damage to a victim), 187 (destruction or damage of property on imprudence) and 189-1.1 (implementation of telephone conversations by illegal entry in communication line of telephone number belonging to subscriber, causing damage to a victim in the significant size) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan will be exempt from criminal liability in case the person is forgiven by the victim and the damage caused is fully repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine, community service, and imprisonment for up to two years.
According to the proposed article, if a person who has committed the abovementioned actions with causing serious damage reconciles with the victim, fully compensates the damage and pays to the state budget one equivalent of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to seven years.
If the above-mentioned acts are committed by an organized group with major damage and if group members reconcile with the victim, fully compensate the damage and pays to the state budget the double of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
According to new Article 73-2, a person has committed the crimes mentioned in Article 209 (evasion from payment of customs charges) and 213 (evasion from payment of taxes) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability in case the damage caused is repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to three years.
The draft amendments will be tabled at the parliament after public hearings on September 29.
Related news releases
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties