Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
A person found guilty of crime against property or evasion from customs and tax will not be brought criminal charges against in case the damage caused is repaid.
In this regard, new articles (73-1 exemption from criminal liability for crime against property and (73-2 exemption from criminal liability for crime in the sphere of economic activity) have been proposed to the Criminal Code by Azerbaijan’s president, APA reported.
Under new Article 73-1, a person who has committed the crimes mentioned in articles 178.1 (swindle, is maintaining another persons property or buying another persons property by a deceit or breach of confidence), 179.1 (misappropiration or waste, is plunder of property entrusted to guilty by another person), 186.1 (deliberate destruction or damage of another's property which caused significant damage to a victim), 187 (destruction or damage of property on imprudence) and 189-1.1 (implementation of telephone conversations by illegal entry in communication line of telephone number belonging to subscriber, causing damage to a victim in the significant size) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan will be exempt from criminal liability in case the person is forgiven by the victim and the damage caused is fully repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine, community service, and imprisonment for up to two years.
According to the proposed article, if a person who has committed the abovementioned actions with causing serious damage reconciles with the victim, fully compensates the damage and pays to the state budget one equivalent of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to seven years.
If the above-mentioned acts are committed by an organized group with major damage and if group members reconcile with the victim, fully compensate the damage and pays to the state budget the double of the amount of the damage caused by the crime, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability.
According to new Article 73-2, a person has committed the crimes mentioned in Article 209 (evasion from payment of customs charges) and 213 (evasion from payment of taxes) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, he/she will be exempt from criminal liability in case the damage caused is repaid.
Under the current law, these crimes are punishable by fine and imprisonment for up to three years.
The draft amendments will be tabled at the parliament after public hearings on September 29.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties