Azerbaijan prepares bill on prevention of int’l crimes and punishment of perpetrators
Azerbaijani Parliament has prepared a new bill “On prevention of international crimes and punishment of their perpetrators”.
The parliament held a presentation of the bill on Friday. The presentation was chaired by Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova, who also heads the parliamentary Committee on human rights.
The event was attended by Azerbaijan’s permanent representative to the European Court of Human Rights and head of the human rights protection unit at the Presidential Administration’s department of work with law-enforcement agencies Chingiz Asgarov, deputy head of the department for public and political affairs at the Presidential Administration Arastun Mehdiyev, military prosecutor Khanlar Valiyev, MPs and representatives of non-governmental organizations.
Addressing the presentation of the bill, vice-speaker Muradova noted that from time to time Azerbaijan faced military aggression, its people were sentenced to massacres and its cultural monuments were destroyed.
“A lot has been done up to the present to properly inform the world community about the crimes committed against Azerbaijan, obtain a legal assessment of these crimes and achieve the punishment of perpetrators,” she said.
The vice-speaker expressed regret over the continuation of the occupation of Azerbaijani lands, noting that people are deprived of their fundamental right to live in their native lands.
“The world community was unaware of the nature of these crimes in time. After the return of national leader Heydar Aliyev to power, an official appeal was sent to the United Nations and numerous cases were launched in connection with these crimes,” she said.
“The perpetrators of these crimes are known, but they are evading punishment being represented in authorities of the neighboring countries,” Muradova added.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Large-scale pardoning expected in Azerbaijan – parl’t speaker
- 23.02.2018No political prisoners in Azerbaijan, says MP
- 23.02.2018Next plenary session of Azerbaijani parliament begins
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan's ruling party submits voter signatures to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidency
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan sees 2.7 times decline in USD transactions
- 11.02.2017Azerbaijani official: Lapshin's issue shouldn't be politicized
- 11.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijan is a key member of int’l community
- 09.02.2017Explosion at French nuclear plant, no contamination risk
- 07.02.2017US Embassy Warns of Possible Attacks on Baghdad Hotels
- 04.02.201796.6% of homicide facts uncovered in Azerbaijan