Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
Today, on November 9, Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day.
The Azerbaijani Democratic Republic (ADR), which existed until 1920, adopted Azerbaijani tricolor as the national flag of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic on November 9, 1918.
After the Bolshevik occupation on April 27, 1920, the flag of the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic was replaced with the USSR’s red flag with hammer and sickle.
On November 17, 1990, the flag of the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic was restored under the decision of the Supreme Majlis of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic and adopted as the national flag of the autonomous republic.
After gaining independence in 1991, the Supreme Council of the Azerbaijan Republic announced a tricolor flag with a star and a crescent as the national flag of Azerbaijan on February 5, 1991.
On November 18, 2009, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev signed an order to declare November 9 as National Flag Day.
National Flag Square was also inaugurated with President Ilham Aliyev's participation in Baku on September 1, 2010.
The national flag with a 162 meter-high flagpole measures 70 meters high and 35 meters wide and weighs 350 kilograms. The total weight of the construction is 220 tons. The flag's total area is 2,450 square meters with a weight of about 350 kilograms.
The author of the formula “Turkic freedom, modernity and Islamic culture”, which was the major principle of the national independence ideology early in the 20th century, was the great Azerbaijani thinker Alibey Huseynzade.
The national flag of Azerbaijan consists of three horizontal equal strips. The upper strip is of blue color, the middle-of red, the lower is green. In the center of the flag, on the red strip, there is an eight-pointed star and crescent; both are white.
The basic description of the flag, along with the ratio, can be found in Article 23.II of the Constitution of Azerbaijan that was adopted on November 12, 1995. State flag of the Azerbaijani Republic consists of three horizontal stripes of same width. Upper stripe is blue, middle stripe is red, and the lower one is green; in the middle of red stripe on both sides of the flag white crescent with eight-pointed star are depicted. Width of the flag constitutes half of its length.
Further specifications of the national flag were set out in the Presidential Decree "On the National Flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan" issued on February 5, 1991. The ratio was kept at 1:2, which was used in the Soviet era. Each stripe is 1/3rd of the total height of the flag and extends to the full length of the flag. The star and crescent was placed in a box that has a ratio of 3:4; the crescent is shifted 1/60th from the center of the flag. At the outside diameter of both the crescent and the red inside circle, it will intersect with the diameter of the white eight-pointed star. The diameter of the star is 1/6th of the height of the flag; the inscribed circle in this star is 1/12th of the height of the flag. The flag is also described in the technical specification "AZS 001-2006.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Hadi Rajabli with order
- 28.10.2017National Council holds rally
- 27.10.2017Amendments to draft law on institution of legal representation in Azerbaijani courts revealed
- 27.10.2017Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Shabran
- 26.10.2017Mubariz Gurbanli: Azerbaijan’s steps against religious extremists – signal to their financial backers
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan eyes to prohibit presence of representatives in trials
- 25.10.2017Baku Mayor's Office approves National Council’s request for rally
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to begin discussion on 2018 draft state budget on Nov. 21
- 25.10.2017AZN 55 mln to be allocated for 2018 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 24.10.2017Turkish soldier martyred in PKK attack
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'