Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
Seventy-three years have passed since the historic victory over the Nazi Germany.
On May 9, Azerbaijan marks the Day of Victory in the Great Patriotic War.
Events are held in Baku and various regions of Azerbaijan to mark the Day of Victory in the Great Patriotic War.
The World War II, the bloodiest war of the mankind, broke out as the Nazi Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939.
On June 22, 1941, the Nazi Germany attacked the USSR, which also then included Azerbaijan. The war finished on May 9, 1945, the flag of the USSR was hoisted over the building of Reichstag in Berlin.
More than 600,000 Azerbaijanis were sent to the front between 1941 and 1945. Divisions from Azerbaijan have walked from the Caucasus to Berlin. About 130 Azerbaijanis earned the name of "Hero of the Soviet Union", 30 more deserved the "Order of Honor". Some 170,000 Azerbaijani soldiers and officers were awarded various USSR orders and medals.
Such people as Hazi Aslanov (twice the Hero of the Soviet Union), other Heroes of the Soviet Union - Israfil Mammadov, Aslan Vezirov, Adil Guliyev, Ziya Bunyatov, Geray Asadov, Melik Maharramov and Mehdi Huseynzadeh, generals Mahmud Abilov, Akim Abbasov, Tarlan Aliyarbeyov and Hajibala Zeynalov and many others brought honor to the history of the Azerbaijani people.
Azerbaijan’s oil was one of the decisive factors in the victory in the Great Patriotic War. With the hard work of Azerbaijani oil workers, the oil production in Azerbaijan reached its peak in 1941 - when 23.5 million tons of oil was produced, making up 71.4 percent of all the oil produced in the USSR.
In total, Azerbaijani oil workers gave the country 75 million tons of oil and 22 million tons of petrol, during the years of war.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Internal confrontation in Armenia to last long: Azerbaijan’s ruling party
- 07.05.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds event to mark 95th birth anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 04.05.2018Turkish cargo vessel, Greek warship collide in Aegean
- 04.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Economic development fully ensured in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene special meeting
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Khizi district
- 04.05.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev: Salaries of MPs should be at least 8,000 manats
- 04.05.2018Azerbaijan’s national coordinator for combating human trafficking presenting annual report in parliament
- 04.05.2018Salaries of MPs, ombudsman and judges increased by 10% in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Khachmaz district
- 03.05.2018Sector for organization of social and political work established in Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic