Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
The anniversary of the Azerbaijan’s nationwide leader is marked in the country. Various events are being held in many countries on the occasion of the Heydar Aliyev’s anniversary.
Heydar Alirza oglu Aliyev was born on 10 May 1923 in Nakhchivan City of Azerbaijan. In 1939, after graduating from the Nakhchivan Pedagogical School he studied at the Architecture Department of the Azerbaijan Industry Institute (present Azerbaijan State Oil Academy). The incipient war impeded to complete his education. From 1941, Heydar Aliyev headed the department at the People’s Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic of Nakhchivan and in 1944 was sent to work at the state security bodies. Heydar Aliyev, working since that time in the security bodies, from 1964 held the post of deputy chairman, and from 1967 chairman of the Committee of State Security under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan, and he was conferred the rank of lieutenant general. These years, he received special higher education in Leningrad (present St Petersburg), and in 1957 he graduated from the History Department of the Azerbaijan State University.
Being elected at the Plenum of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan in July 1969 as the First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev became the head of the republic. In December 1982, Heydar Aliyev was elected a member of Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Soviet Union, and appointed to the post of the First Deputy Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers of the USSR, and became one of the leaders of the USSR. During twenty years, Heydar Aliyev was the Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR and for five years was Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
In October 1987, Heydar Aliyev, as a sign of protest against the policy pursued by Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and personally the Secretary General Michael Gorbachev, resigned from his post.
In bound with the tragedy committed on 20 January 1990 in Baku by the soviet troops appearing in the next day at the Azerbaijan Representation in Moscow with a statement Heydar Aliyev demanded to punish the organizers and executors of the crime committed against the people of Azerbaijan. As a sign of protest against the hypocritical policy of leadership of the USSR, in connection with the critical conflict accrued in Daghlig Garabagh, in July 1991 he left the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
By return in July 1990 to Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev lived in Baku, then in Nakhchivan, and in the same year was elected a deputy to the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan. In 1991-1993, he held the post of Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of the Autonomous Republic of Nakhchivan, Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In 1992, at the constituent congress of the New Azerbaijan Party in Nakhchivan, Heydar Aliyev was elected Chairman of the Party. In May-June 1993, when, as a result of extreme tension of the governmental crisis, the country was at the verge of civil war and loss of independence, the people of Azerbaijan demanded to bring to power Heydar Aliyev. The then leaders of Azerbaijan were obliged to officially invite Heydar Aliyev to Baku. On 15 June 1993, Heydar Aliyev was elected Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan, and on 24 July - on resolution of the Milli Mejlis, he commenced to fulfill powers of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
On October 3, 1993, as a result of nationwide voting, Heydar Aliyev was elected President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. On October 11, 1998, having garnered at the elections, passed in high activeness of the population, 76,1 percent of the votes, he was re-elected President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Heydar Aliyev’s return to the country’s leadership was a turning point in the socio-political, economic, cultural-scientific life of the country and its international relations. He started the process of independent state building. The coup attempts were prevented in October, 1994 and March, 1995. The country’s foreign policy, relations with the leading countries and international organizations was developed on the basis of the national interests and far-sighted policy. The ceasefire was declared in the frontline in May, 1994. Oil agreement named as the “Contract of Century” was signed in Baku in September, 1994 and successful steps were taken for the transportation of Azerbaijani oil to the world market. Baku-Tbilisi-Supsa main export pipeline agreement was signed. On the initiative of Heydar Aliyev, Azerbaijan plays a leading role in the restoration of Great Silk Road – global communication program. Heydar Aliyev contributed to the union of regional forces and founding GUAM, which unites Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova. He pursued successive policy toward the democracy and legal state building and establishment of the principles of human rights and freedoms. The Constitution of Azerbaijan was adopted in November, 1995. The parliamentary elections were held in 1995 and 2000. The Constitutional Court was established, death sentence and press censorship were abolished in Azerbaijan. The country joined the Council of Europe on January 25, 2001.
Heydar Aliyev died on December 12, 2003.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani MP: Soros and Armenians share common terrorist features
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident
- 28.08.2017Mehman Aliyev files appeal against court decision
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports