Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
The new bill shall be prepared and submitted by Azerbaijan’s Milli Mejlis (parliament) within three months, Nizami Safarov, head of the department on administrative and military legislation at the parliament’s Office, said at a parliamentary meeting on Nov. 28.
According to him, there is no such a law in the legal system of Azerbaijan.
“We have studied the international experience. There is a fundamental basis for this law – the study of existing laws, international criminal tribunals and judicial precedents in the developed countries,” Safarov said, adding. “International crime covers aggression, crimes against humanity, war crimes, acts of genocide and acts of ethnic cleansing that are not mentioned in the documents as an international crime. It will be reflected in the new bill.”
He noted that the crime of ethnic cleansing is not reflected in the legislation of any country.
“We are going to achieve such a legal basis in this bill. In addition, the bill will also envisage the extradition of the perpetrators of international crimes and their transfer to a second state or an international tribunal. The bill will even address the issue of what measures can be taken by the Azerbaijani government in case of non-implementation of the abovementioned,” said Safarov.
On February 25-26, 1992, the Armenian armed forces, together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops stationed in Khankendi committed an act of genocide against the population of the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly.
As many as 613 people were killed, including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old people were killed as a result of the massacre. Eight families were totally exterminated, 130 children lost one parent and 25 children lost both. A total of 487 civilians became disabled as a result of the onslaught. Some 1,275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 people remains unknown.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 10.04.2017Israeli envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Minsk Group
- 08.04.2017Siyavush Novruzov: Relevant authorities investigating Ali Karimli’s migrant trade issue
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC warns political parties over failure to submit financial reports
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- 26.11.2016Scotland sets out legal case to have a say on Brexit trigger
- 24.11.2016Public administration to be improved in Azerbaijan