Azerbaijan commemorates 28th anniversary of 20 January Tragedy
Today, Azerbaijan commemorates the 28th anniversary of the 20 January tragedy.
The events of January 20 are immortalized in the vital memory of Azerbaijani nation as a Day of National Mourning.
On the night of January 19 to 20, 1990, the Soviet Army attacked Baku and shot down peaceful people. As many as 137 people were killed, 744 were wounded and 841 were illegally arrested.
Like every year, this year the government officials of Azerbaijan, foreign diplomats, ordinary citizens will also visit the Alley of Martyrs where the victims of the January 20 tragedy were buried.
The visitors of the Alley of Martyrs will move through the Parliament Avenue.
Baku police will tighten security in the city in connection with the commemorative events.
According to the plan of measures prepared by the Interior Ministry, from 8.00 am until the end of the commemoration ceremony, the traffic will be restricted from the intersection of Mikayil Mushfig street and Huseyn Javid avenue, intersection of Mikayil Mushfig circle and Metbuat avenue, Mehdi Huseyn street, the building of Teletheatre, intersection of Izzat Nabiyev and Abbasgulu Abbaszade streets, behind of the Azerbaijani Parliament, toward the Alley of Martyrs.
Each year, Azerbaijani embassies, diplomatic missions and communities in foreign countries organize numerous events to attract the attention of the world community to the Bloody January tragedy.
Memory of the victims will be commemorated with a minute of silence at 12.00 Baku time on January 20. Ships, cars and trains will signal. The national flags will be lowered in Azerbaijan as a sign of mourning.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Application time expires for organizations seeking accrediation to hold ‘exit-poll’ during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 20.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays tribute to 20 January martyrs
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijani CEC starts preparations for presidential election
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on rights of persons with disabilities
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party announces number of its members
- 18.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital