Azerbaijan commemorates 27th anniversary of 20 January Tragedy
Today, Azerbaijan commemorates the 27th anniversary of the 20 January Tragedy.
January 20 was declared in Azerbaijan the Day of National Mourning.
On the night of January 19 to 20, 1990, the Soviet Army attacked Baku and shot down peaceful people. As many as 137 people were killed, 744 were wounded and 841 were illegally arrested.
Like every year, this year the government officials of Azerbaijan, foreign diplomats, ordinary citizens will also visit the Alley of Martyrs where the victims of the January 20 tragedy were buried.
The visitors of the Alley of Martyrs will move through the Parliament Avenue.
Baku police will tighten security in the city in connection with the Day of National Mourning.
According to the plan of measures prepared by the Interior Ministry, from 8.00 am until the end of the commemoration ceremony, the traffic will be restricted from the intersection of Mikayil Mushfig street and Huseyn Javid avenue, intersection of Mikayil Mushfig circle and Metbuat avenue, Mehdi Huseyn street, the building of Teletheatre, intersection of Izzat Nabiyev and Abbasgulu Abbaszade streets, behind of the Azerbaijani Parliament, toward the Alley of Martyrs.
Each year, Azerbaijani embassies, diplomatic missions and communities in foreign countries organize numerous events to attract the attention of the world community to the Bloody January tragedy.
Memory of the victims will be commemorated with a minute of silence at 12.00 Baku time on January 20. Ships, cars and trains will signal. The national flags will be lowered in Azerbaijan as a sign of mourning.
In 1994, the Milli Mejlis (parliament) of Azerbaijan passed a special decision on the January 20 tragedy.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 20.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev pays tribute to 20 January martyrs
- 20.01.2017Mikhail Gorbachev avoided investigation: Azerbaijani deputy prosecutor general
- 20.01.2017Azerbaijan commemorating 20 January martyrs - PHOTOSESSION
- 19.01.2017Bloody clothes of 20 January martyrs still remain: CMO
- 19.01.2017Azerbaijani MPs complains about state agencies
- 17.01.2017ISESCO condemns ceasefire violations by Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh