At least 20 killed in Somali rebel attack
At least 20 people, including 10 Kenyan peacekeepers, were killed on Friday when al-Shabaab militants attacked their base, officials have said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The attack took place on the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) base in Kulbiyow town in Somalia’s Lower Juba region.
Abdi Ahmed Hassan Somali, a senior military officer in Lower Juba, confirmed to Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab attacked the Kenyans’ base in Kulbiyow, which is 18 kilometers (11 miles) from the Kenya-Somalia border.
He said it was early morning when the militants detonated a car bomb at the gates of the facility.
AMISOM spokesman Joe Kibet told Anadolu Agency there had been fighting after the explosion but could not confirm the death toll.
However, Yusuf Ali, a resident in nearby Jilib town, told Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab displayed the remains of dead soldiers after the Kulbiyow attack. The claim could not be independently verified.
Al-Shabaab itself claimed to have killed 57 Kenyan troops but Kenya’s defense ministry rejected the claim.
In a statement the ministry said the attack had been “repulsed” and scores of al-Shabaab militants killed.
Friday’s attack comes two days after al-Shabaab attacked a hotel in Mogadishu, claiming 14 lives and injuring 51 people.
It is not the first time the Somali-based al-Qaeda affiliate has attacked Kenyan military camps in Somalia.
On 15 Jan. 2016, al-Shabaab attacked a Kenya Defence Forces’ base in El-ade, in the Gedo region, and claimed to have killed over 100 soldiers.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 10.04.2017Israeli envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Minsk Group
- 08.04.2017Siyavush Novruzov: Relevant authorities investigating Ali Karimli’s migrant trade issue
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC warns political parties over failure to submit financial reports
- 28.01.2017Deputy prime minister: Our society is at stage of strict reforms
- 30.01.2017President: Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would’ve been impossible without first State Program
- 30.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan leading implementation of Southern Gas Corridor
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani mother, two children killed in ISIL bombing in Syria
- 26.01.2017Procedure for obtaining right to grant by foreign donors changed in Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2017Sadig Gozalov and MIA Main Department head sent into retirement