At least 20 killed in Somali rebel attack
At least 20 people, including 10 Kenyan peacekeepers, were killed on Friday when al-Shabaab militants attacked their base, officials have said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The attack took place on the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) base in Kulbiyow town in Somalia’s Lower Juba region.
Abdi Ahmed Hassan Somali, a senior military officer in Lower Juba, confirmed to Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab attacked the Kenyans’ base in Kulbiyow, which is 18 kilometers (11 miles) from the Kenya-Somalia border.
He said it was early morning when the militants detonated a car bomb at the gates of the facility.
AMISOM spokesman Joe Kibet told Anadolu Agency there had been fighting after the explosion but could not confirm the death toll.
However, Yusuf Ali, a resident in nearby Jilib town, told Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab displayed the remains of dead soldiers after the Kulbiyow attack. The claim could not be independently verified.
Al-Shabaab itself claimed to have killed 57 Kenyan troops but Kenya’s defense ministry rejected the claim.
In a statement the ministry said the attack had been “repulsed” and scores of al-Shabaab militants killed.
Friday’s attack comes two days after al-Shabaab attacked a hotel in Mogadishu, claiming 14 lives and injuring 51 people.
It is not the first time the Somali-based al-Qaeda affiliate has attacked Kenyan military camps in Somalia.
On 15 Jan. 2016, al-Shabaab attacked a Kenya Defence Forces’ base in El-ade, in the Gedo region, and claimed to have killed over 100 soldiers.
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017Turkish soldier martyred in PKK attack
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 28.01.2017Deputy prime minister: Our society is at stage of strict reforms
- 30.01.2017President: Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would’ve been impossible without first State Program
- 30.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan leading implementation of Southern Gas Corridor
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani mother, two children killed in ISIL bombing in Syria
- 26.01.2017Procedure for obtaining right to grant by foreign donors changed in Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2017Sadig Gozalov and MIA Main Department head sent into retirement