At least 20 killed in Somali rebel attack
At least 20 people, including 10 Kenyan peacekeepers, were killed on Friday when al-Shabaab militants attacked their base, officials have said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The attack took place on the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) base in Kulbiyow town in Somalia’s Lower Juba region.
Abdi Ahmed Hassan Somali, a senior military officer in Lower Juba, confirmed to Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab attacked the Kenyans’ base in Kulbiyow, which is 18 kilometers (11 miles) from the Kenya-Somalia border.
He said it was early morning when the militants detonated a car bomb at the gates of the facility.
AMISOM spokesman Joe Kibet told Anadolu Agency there had been fighting after the explosion but could not confirm the death toll.
However, Yusuf Ali, a resident in nearby Jilib town, told Anadolu Agency that al-Shabaab displayed the remains of dead soldiers after the Kulbiyow attack. The claim could not be independently verified.
Al-Shabaab itself claimed to have killed 57 Kenyan troops but Kenya’s defense ministry rejected the claim.
In a statement the ministry said the attack had been “repulsed” and scores of al-Shabaab militants killed.
Friday’s attack comes two days after al-Shabaab attacked a hotel in Mogadishu, claiming 14 lives and injuring 51 people.
It is not the first time the Somali-based al-Qaeda affiliate has attacked Kenyan military camps in Somalia.
On 15 Jan. 2016, al-Shabaab attacked a Kenya Defence Forces’ base in El-ade, in the Gedo region, and claimed to have killed over 100 soldiers.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Shamkir district for visit
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Gadabay district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Samukh district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Goygol
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Goygol district for visit
- 18.08.2017Former heads of state and government to attend Global Young Leaders Forum in Baku
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Ramil Guliyev, World Athletics Champion
- 11.08.2017Car bomb blast in Somali capital kills 1
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president attends opening of new roads in former “Sovetski”
- 08.08.2017President signs order on application of law "On the rules of conduct of the members of the Milli Majlis"
- 03.08.2017President: ‘Self-employment program should be prevalent in Azerbaijan’
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Balakan district
- 31.07.2017Chingiz Ganizade awarded Shohrat Order
- 31.07.2017Interior Ministry issues statement about special operation conducted in Hajigabul
- 26.07.2017President Aliyev awards Ali Gojayev with order
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 28.01.2017Deputy prime minister: Our society is at stage of strict reforms
- 30.01.2017President: Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would’ve been impossible without first State Program
- 30.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan leading implementation of Southern Gas Corridor
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani mother, two children killed in ISIL bombing in Syria
- 26.01.2017Procedure for obtaining right to grant by foreign donors changed in Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2017Sadig Gozalov and MIA Main Department head sent into retirement