Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
Head of the Armenian delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly Armen Ashotyan addressed a conference on the theme “Involvement of the parliaments of Eastern Partnership countries in promoting gender quality and women’s health within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals”, which kicked off in Baku on Friday, APA reported.
“Last time I was in Baku in January 1998. Then I was 13 years old. This was a month before the beginning of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. My mother was born in Baku. I don’t know much about the city,” the Armenian MP said.
Ashotyan said he was spending vacations in Baku. “Here we had a house. I knew where I was going. I’m glad that my Azerbaijani colleagues took the initiative to hold the conference in Baku. If there were no such issue on the parliamentary or political agenda, I would be difficult to find another chance to come to Azerbaijan,” he added.
According to the Armenian MP, their trip to Baku was promptly arranged by the Euronest secretariat and Azerbaijan’s delegation to the organization.
“There were some technical problems on the Georgia-Azerbaijan border. They did not believe we would come to Baku. But it did happen. I’m sure this was not politically motivated. Rather it was because the Armenian delegation is not paying periodic visits to Azerbaijan. There is little contact between our countries due to the conflict,” Ashotyan said.
He added that they have no security issues in Baku.
“We came here because Euronest is an essential platform for us. Armenia is about to sign a new agreement with the European Union. The other reason we came here is that such an event could have well been used as an anti-Armenia rhetoric and propaganda in the presence of European MPs. Sadly, we saw such rhetoric in some speeches, but let’s remember that we’re not here to discuss the Nagorno-Karabakh issue,” he said.
The Armenian MP said he had been to Shusha and visited the mosque.
“I know that Iranian architects are providing assistance to relevant Armenian institutions in reconstructing the mosque. The mosque is need of it,” he added.
Ashotyan said that the only legitimate format for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the Minsk Group. “ The negotiations are underway in this context, and unfortunately Azerbaijan disrupted the process by resuming the military operations in April last year. Today the activity of the Minsk Group is aimed at restoring trust between the sides. As you know, it was decided during Vienna and St. Petersburg meeting that the mandate of the OSCE monitoring mission should be expanded and the mechanism investigation of incidents on the contact line should be put into practice. The next round of the negotiations can be started only by creating an atmosphere of trust. The Karabakh issue should be resolved peacefully through the the international community's security guarantee, peoples' right to self-determination and territorial integrity. These principles should be at the negotiating table as usual. Currently, it is important that all the parties shouldn’t refuse to take proper steps in this process," said the Armenian deputy.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order