Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
Head of the Armenian delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly Armen Ashotyan addressed a conference on the theme “Involvement of the parliaments of Eastern Partnership countries in promoting gender quality and women’s health within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals”, which kicked off in Baku on Friday, APA reported.
“Last time I was in Baku in January 1998. Then I was 13 years old. This was a month before the beginning of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. My mother was born in Baku. I don’t know much about the city,” the Armenian MP said.
Ashotyan said he was spending vacations in Baku. “Here we had a house. I knew where I was going. I’m glad that my Azerbaijani colleagues took the initiative to hold the conference in Baku. If there were no such issue on the parliamentary or political agenda, I would be difficult to find another chance to come to Azerbaijan,” he added.
According to the Armenian MP, their trip to Baku was promptly arranged by the Euronest secretariat and Azerbaijan’s delegation to the organization.
“There were some technical problems on the Georgia-Azerbaijan border. They did not believe we would come to Baku. But it did happen. I’m sure this was not politically motivated. Rather it was because the Armenian delegation is not paying periodic visits to Azerbaijan. There is little contact between our countries due to the conflict,” Ashotyan said.
He added that they have no security issues in Baku.
“We came here because Euronest is an essential platform for us. Armenia is about to sign a new agreement with the European Union. The other reason we came here is that such an event could have well been used as an anti-Armenia rhetoric and propaganda in the presence of European MPs. Sadly, we saw such rhetoric in some speeches, but let’s remember that we’re not here to discuss the Nagorno-Karabakh issue,” he said.
The Armenian MP said he had been to Shusha and visited the mosque.
“I know that Iranian architects are providing assistance to relevant Armenian institutions in reconstructing the mosque. The mosque is need of it,” he added.
Ashotyan said that the only legitimate format for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the Minsk Group. “ The negotiations are underway in this context, and unfortunately Azerbaijan disrupted the process by resuming the military operations in April last year. Today the activity of the Minsk Group is aimed at restoring trust between the sides. As you know, it was decided during Vienna and St. Petersburg meeting that the mandate of the OSCE monitoring mission should be expanded and the mechanism investigation of incidents on the contact line should be put into practice. The next round of the negotiations can be started only by creating an atmosphere of trust. The Karabakh issue should be resolved peacefully through the the international community's security guarantee, peoples' right to self-determination and territorial integrity. These principles should be at the negotiating table as usual. Currently, it is important that all the parties shouldn’t refuse to take proper steps in this process," said the Armenian deputy.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order