Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 135 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Sept. 2.
Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights and in Kemerli, Gaymagli, Gushchu Ayrim, Bala Jafarli villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Dovekh, Shavarshavan villages of Noyemberyan district, as well as on nameless heights of Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijani army positions in Alibayli, Aghdam, Kokhanabi, Agbulag, Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district of Azerbaijan were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages of Armenia’s Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Tartar district, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Abdinli, Qaraqashli, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Ashagi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagarda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Ashagi Seyidahmadli, Gorgan and Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident