Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 135 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Sept. 2.
Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights and in Kemerli, Gaymagli, Gushchu Ayrim, Bala Jafarli villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Dovekh, Shavarshavan villages of Noyemberyan district, as well as on nameless heights of Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijani army positions in Alibayli, Aghdam, Kokhanabi, Agbulag, Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district of Azerbaijan were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages of Armenia’s Berd district.
Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Tartar district, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Abdinli, Qaraqashli, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Ashagi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagarda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Ashagi Seyidahmadli, Gorgan and Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 15.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Defense Ministry’s press service creates conditions for press to write about army
- 15.12.2017Media should only disseminate information verified by Azerbaijani MoD – MP
- 15.12.2017MP Fazil Mustafa criticizes activities of Penitentiary Service
- 15.12.2017New bill on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan adopted in second reading
- 15.12.2017Media should not be banned from writing about army – MP Hasanguliyev
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani MP proposes introducing parliamentary control over Armed Forces
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 15.12.2017Suicide attempt of young boy prevented in Baku
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates administrative building of YAP Sumgayit city branch
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan