Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
Q: The latest amendments to the Criminal Code contain essential items and significant changes in the penalty mechanism. What do you think of it?
A: After Azerbaijan gained its independence, the country had to further strengthen the statehood, improve the rule of law and the legislative system and determine ways to build a legal state on these bases. As in all areas of social life, the reforms carried out to renew the legislation and reconstruct the law enforcement authorities' infrastructure, as well as the judicial reforms are important achievements of the recent period. The new Criminal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure, which came into force in 2000, was a major step towards improving the system of protection of individual freedoms and rights and democratizing the country’s criminal and criminal procedure legislation. The purpose of the legislation has been to ensure that human and civil rights and freedoms, property, economic activity, public order, and public security are respected and protected from criminal offenses. However, analyses show that pretrial detentions and imprisonments without sound grounds, as well as alternative penalties such as community service that have little to do with isolation from society are commonplace. Combating crime is one of the priorities of any democratic state. It is part of the humane policy being pursed by President Ilham Aliyev that the fight against crime should be carried out within the law, offenders prosecuted in a timely manner, no one brought criminal charges against without sound bases and illegally, and the principles of justice and freedom observed when the penalty is applied.
Q: In this regard, the Azerbaijani president signed a relative order earlier this year. What other related draft laws are expected to be discussed?
A: As you know, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on 10 February 2017 on improving activities in the penitentiary sphere, humanizing the policy of penalty and expanding the use of alternative forms of punishment and procedural coercive measures not related to isolation from society. This order that is a continuation of the legal reforms being carried out under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev aims to create conditions for criminal policy humanization, liberalization of the criminal-law policy and correction of individuals without isolation from the society. The order envisages a number of measures to eliminate existing shortcomings in the penitentiaries and enterprises, fully ensure the conditions for excluding corruption in criminal prosecution and execution of penalties and apply modern technology and humanize penal policy. In this direction, draft laws on making amendments to the Criminal Code and the Code of Administrative Offences were proposed to the parliament. The amendments envisage liberalization related to criminal prosecution, decriminalization of offenses in economic activity, supplementing the punishment of restraint of freedom as an alternative punishment to imprisonment in relevant articles. I would like to mention some amendments in this regard. Thus, no matter what crime was committed earlier, in case a person convicted with a sentence not related to deprivation of liberty commits another crime, this will not cause a relapse. In addition, in case a person, who was previously convicted for deliberately committing a crime regardless how it was grave, commits another crime which doesn’t pose public threat, the creation of a relapse will also be excluded.
Q: One of the issues discussed recently in the society is also related to lifetime penalties. What is planned in this regard?
A: Regarding the punishment in the form of life imprisonment, I would like to note that according to the proposed amendments, taking into account that the convict sentenced to life imprisonment served a minimum of 25 years of sentence and during this period he did not commit deliberate crimes, and also if a conclusion is reached that the need for further serving of punishment has disappeared, life imprisonment can be replaced by imprisonment for up to 10 years. According to the current Article 57.4 of the Criminal Code, this term is 15 years. In general, the draft has also expanded and improved the range of circumstances facilitating punishment. Also, new articles were introduced in connection with exemption from criminal liability in committing crimes against property, in the sphere of economic activity and drug addiction.
Furthermore, amendments to the Code of Administrative Offences were proposed with a view to preventing the practice of formal execution of punishments in public affairs, ensuring effective control over the implementation of other punishments not related to community service and imprisonment. Therefore, modifications to the Code of Administrative Offenses define the responsibility of officials for not providing information to the executive officer in connection with the lack of control over the performance of work by prisoners, which is determined by the employer, the absence of the working hours that the prisoner worked or incorrect counting, as well as cases of evasion from performing community service.
Q: What steps are being taken to inform the public, to study public opinion in connection with these changes?
A: In this regard, statements have been made to the media. Now this process continues. In addition, extended public hearings will be held on September 29, due to these changes. This issue will be widely discussed there.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan