Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
Protesting the reconstruction of Sovetsky locality in Baku is not the best example of religious devotion, Azerbaijani President’s Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov wrote on his Facebookpage.
“Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev is concerned about the situation around the demolition of Haji Javad Mosque, located at 79 Abdulla Shaig Street, Yasamal district. The head of state gave necessary instructions to create a special commission in order to halt the demolition of the mosque, comprehensively investigate the situation, evaluate the technical conditions of the building and submit relevant proposals. The commission will analyze the situation, make a decision as to whether the mosque remain intact or a new place be allocated for the construction of a new mosque. The commission will then report to the president about its decision,” he said.
Hasanov also expressed his own personal opinion about the problem.
“What’s even worse is that there were some religious people joining the rally organized by those who are trying to put religious people and the government against each other. That wasn’t good at all,” he said.
The presidential aide explained the reasons for the reconstruction of Sovetsky.
“Mr President has come up with many initiatives for Baku, all of which have been successfully realized. The improvement of Baku’s ecological situation, landscaping work in Baku Boulevard that has made it one of the best in the world, renewal of transportation system, new bridges, removal of squatters, construction of a Winter Boulevard complex, introduction of the world’s leading hotel brands to our capital, etc. have all resulted in the revitalization of the early 20th-century Baku, turning the capital city into one of the world’s most beautiful cities and international humanitarian centers,” he said.
Hasanov continued: “Baku needs to be modernized. Squatters like Sovetsky have to be removed from downtown Baku. This is a contemporary demand. The Azerbaijani state does not want its citizens to live in the capital in the conditions of the destroyed roads, airless, smelly quarters left from the beginning of the 20th century. Instead, it offers a clean city, convenient roads, green parks contributing to the improvement of ecology, spacious apartments, the most modern architectural pearls of the world, large educational and prayer complexes.
He stressed that over the past years more than 250 schools, dozens of kindergartens, and houses of culture have been built, reconstructed and overhauled in Baku.
“The restoration and reconstruction of mosques continues in Azerbaijan under the instructions of Mr. President. Tezepir Mosque, Juma Mosque and the Prophet Muhammad Mosque in Icheri Sheher, Ajdarbey Mosque, Juma Mosque in Shamaki, Imamzadeh complex in Ganja and dozens of other religious monuments and mosques have been renovated and reconstructed by the state up to now,” said Hasanov.
“If there were only 17 mosques in Azerbaijan during the Soviet period, their number reached 2166 at the beginning of 2017. 306 mosques are currently under state protection as historic monuments,” he added.
He said that President Ilham Aliyev celebrates Muslim holidays together with believers and ambassadors of Muslim countries to Azerbaijan, recalling that the president and his family members visited the sacred Kaaba.
Hasanov pointed out that the construction of hundreds of new mosques and the reconstruction of old ones in Azerbaijan is a manifestation of President Ilham Aliyev’s care to the country’s religious majority.
"Does the state that has carried out all this work deserve high praise or the curses that were voiced by some people yesterday? Turning to some religious, social, cultural figures and opposition politicians who are voicing radical appeals, I want to say: instead of giving correct explanations, one should not confuse people with vague statements, try to tarnish the actions of the state that deserve approval. In the centers of Islamic culture—Mecca, Madina, Mashhad, and Karbala—many old buildings are destroyed every year, and new buildings are built in their place. Let those who, 30 years ago, visited the Prophet's in Medina and Mecca say what changes have occurred out there and how many places of worship have replaced with new ones. Is it worthy of approval or condemnation?” he added.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Dates set for next plenary meetings of Azerbaijani parliament
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani Presidential Administration head urges end to corruption in State Migration Service
- 24.04.2018New head of Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Refugees and IDPs introduced to staff
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies law on insolvency
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Constitution of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 24.04.2018Suspects in Toronto van attack identified
- 23.04.2018Ministers and chairmen of committees appointed to the new government of Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018Chairman of Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency appointed
- 23.04.2018New appointments made for vacant posts in Cabinet of Ministers - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Ali Hasanov: US State Department's attitude to situation in Azerbaijan is biased as always
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: 44 out of 55 political parties submitted annual financial reports
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry confirms detention of ex-MP Huseyn Abdullayev
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'