Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
Mehman Huseynov was arrested on concrete charges and a court investigation confirmed that his acts constituted a crime, Azerbaijani President’s Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov told APA.
Hasanov was commenting on the recent calls by some domestic and foreign groups and organizations to Azerbaijan’s government with regard to Mehman Huseynov’s arrest.
The official noted that Huseynov was arrested for a term of two years under a court decision.
The official said citizens, organizations and others protect their rights through courts in the Republic of Azerbaijan, just like in all democratic countries.
“Courts are guided only by requirements of the legislation and take decisions in accordance with the law,” he noted, adding that Azerbaijan’s judicial system provides the persons, who claim that their rights are violated, with the opportunity to restore rights at higher courts.
“So it’s inadmissible to relate Mehman Huseynov’s arrest to his professional activities and politicize the matter, and to question the verdict issued by the court within the Azerbaijani law,” the official said.
“I think there are attempts being made by domestic and foreign groups, as well as organizations under their influence, to politicize this issue. I’d like to mention that the legitimate state of Azerbaijan ensures the independence of courts. So it’s impossible to influence their verdicts by way of political campaigns and political pressure,” added Hasanov.
Mehman Huseynov had earlier been sentenced to two years in prison over the private prosecution filed by the chief of the Nasimi District Police Department, Musa Musayev, under Article 147.2 (the slander, which is connected with accusation of committing serious or especially serious crime) of the Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President