Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
Mehman Huseynov was arrested on concrete charges and a court investigation confirmed that his acts constituted a crime, Azerbaijani President’s Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov told APA.
Hasanov was commenting on the recent calls by some domestic and foreign groups and organizations to Azerbaijan’s government with regard to Mehman Huseynov’s arrest.
The official noted that Huseynov was arrested for a term of two years under a court decision.
The official said citizens, organizations and others protect their rights through courts in the Republic of Azerbaijan, just like in all democratic countries.
“Courts are guided only by requirements of the legislation and take decisions in accordance with the law,” he noted, adding that Azerbaijan’s judicial system provides the persons, who claim that their rights are violated, with the opportunity to restore rights at higher courts.
“So it’s inadmissible to relate Mehman Huseynov’s arrest to his professional activities and politicize the matter, and to question the verdict issued by the court within the Azerbaijani law,” the official said.
“I think there are attempts being made by domestic and foreign groups, as well as organizations under their influence, to politicize this issue. I’d like to mention that the legitimate state of Azerbaijan ensures the independence of courts. So it’s impossible to influence their verdicts by way of political campaigns and political pressure,” added Hasanov.
Mehman Huseynov had earlier been sentenced to two years in prison over the private prosecution filed by the chief of the Nasimi District Police Department, Musa Musayev, under Article 147.2 (the slander, which is connected with accusation of committing serious or especially serious crime) of the Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 23.02.2017Nakhchivan’s Supreme Assembly approves constitutional amendments
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nothing can hinder realization of Southern Gas Corridor
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite being a small country, Azerbaijan is doing huge work
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President