Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
Mehman Huseynov was arrested on concrete charges and a court investigation confirmed that his acts constituted a crime, Azerbaijani President’s Aide for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov told APA.
Hasanov was commenting on the recent calls by some domestic and foreign groups and organizations to Azerbaijan’s government with regard to Mehman Huseynov’s arrest.
The official noted that Huseynov was arrested for a term of two years under a court decision.
The official said citizens, organizations and others protect their rights through courts in the Republic of Azerbaijan, just like in all democratic countries.
“Courts are guided only by requirements of the legislation and take decisions in accordance with the law,” he noted, adding that Azerbaijan’s judicial system provides the persons, who claim that their rights are violated, with the opportunity to restore rights at higher courts.
“So it’s inadmissible to relate Mehman Huseynov’s arrest to his professional activities and politicize the matter, and to question the verdict issued by the court within the Azerbaijani law,” the official said.
“I think there are attempts being made by domestic and foreign groups, as well as organizations under their influence, to politicize this issue. I’d like to mention that the legitimate state of Azerbaijan ensures the independence of courts. So it’s impossible to influence their verdicts by way of political campaigns and political pressure,” added Hasanov.
Mehman Huseynov had earlier been sentenced to two years in prison over the private prosecution filed by the chief of the Nasimi District Police Department, Musa Musayev, under Article 147.2 (the slander, which is connected with accusation of committing serious or especially serious crime) of the Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of Interior Ministry’s employees
- 06.03.2018Today marks 63rd anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s death
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President