Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
In August 2017, a measure of restraint was chosen in respect of the director of Turan News Agency, Mehman Aliyev, charged under several articles of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Ali Hasanov, Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told AZERTAC.
“At the time, Azerbaijan’s Press Council appealed to the country’s President Ilham Aliyev for the issue to be solved within law. In addition, Mehman Aliyev also appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be commuted to house arrest,” said Hasanov.
The presidential aide said that in 2009, President Ilham Aliyev emphasized the inappropriateness of arresting media workers for their professional activities, in consideration of democratic principles and the freedoms of speech and information being supreme in Azerbaijan.
“Upon the head of state’s instructions, no media worker has been arrested for their professional activities since 2009,” he added.
He recalled that on February 10, 2017, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
This order makes it possible to implement alternative types of punishment not related to isolation from society with respect to persons brought to criminal responsibility in such and a number of other cases, said Hasanov.
“Given all this, President Ilham Aliyev instructed law enforcement agencies to consider the appeal of Turan News Agency director Mehman Aliyev,” he added.
Hasanov stressed that this decision is a manifestation of the Azerbaijani president’s unchanged position and will to ensure democratic principles, freedom of speech and information, independence of the media and free activity of journalists in the country.
Asked about a possible extradition to Israel of blogger Alexander Lapshin, who was sentenced to three years in prison in Azerbaijan, the presidential aide replied: “In accordance with the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the issue related to the release and extradition of Lapshin was always on the agenda. The adoption of a relevant decision was delayed just because an appeal was sent too late from the Israeli government. The appeal was received by the Azerbaijani government, and a decision was made against Lapshin.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance