Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
In August 2017, a measure of restraint was chosen in respect of the director of Turan News Agency, Mehman Aliyev, charged under several articles of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Ali Hasanov, Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told AZERTAC.
“At the time, Azerbaijan’s Press Council appealed to the country’s President Ilham Aliyev for the issue to be solved within law. In addition, Mehman Aliyev also appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be commuted to house arrest,” said Hasanov.
The presidential aide said that in 2009, President Ilham Aliyev emphasized the inappropriateness of arresting media workers for their professional activities, in consideration of democratic principles and the freedoms of speech and information being supreme in Azerbaijan.
“Upon the head of state’s instructions, no media worker has been arrested for their professional activities since 2009,” he added.
He recalled that on February 10, 2017, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
This order makes it possible to implement alternative types of punishment not related to isolation from society with respect to persons brought to criminal responsibility in such and a number of other cases, said Hasanov.
“Given all this, President Ilham Aliyev instructed law enforcement agencies to consider the appeal of Turan News Agency director Mehman Aliyev,” he added.
Hasanov stressed that this decision is a manifestation of the Azerbaijani president’s unchanged position and will to ensure democratic principles, freedom of speech and information, independence of the media and free activity of journalists in the country.
Asked about a possible extradition to Israel of blogger Alexander Lapshin, who was sentenced to three years in prison in Azerbaijan, the presidential aide replied: “In accordance with the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the issue related to the release and extradition of Lapshin was always on the agenda. The adoption of a relevant decision was delayed just because an appeal was sent too late from the Israeli government. The appeal was received by the Azerbaijani government, and a decision was made against Lapshin.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance