Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
In August 2017, a measure of restraint was chosen in respect of the director of Turan News Agency, Mehman Aliyev, charged under several articles of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Ali Hasanov, Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told AZERTAC.
“At the time, Azerbaijan’s Press Council appealed to the country’s President Ilham Aliyev for the issue to be solved within law. In addition, Mehman Aliyev also appealed to the head of state for the measure of restraint in respect of him to be commuted to house arrest,” said Hasanov.
The presidential aide said that in 2009, President Ilham Aliyev emphasized the inappropriateness of arresting media workers for their professional activities, in consideration of democratic principles and the freedoms of speech and information being supreme in Azerbaijan.
“Upon the head of state’s instructions, no media worker has been arrested for their professional activities since 2009,” he added.
He recalled that on February 10, 2017, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on improving work in the penitentiary system, humanizing the punishment policy and expanding alternative punishments and procedural enforcement measures not associated with isolation from society.
This order makes it possible to implement alternative types of punishment not related to isolation from society with respect to persons brought to criminal responsibility in such and a number of other cases, said Hasanov.
“Given all this, President Ilham Aliyev instructed law enforcement agencies to consider the appeal of Turan News Agency director Mehman Aliyev,” he added.
Hasanov stressed that this decision is a manifestation of the Azerbaijani president’s unchanged position and will to ensure democratic principles, freedom of speech and information, independence of the media and free activity of journalists in the country.
Asked about a possible extradition to Israel of blogger Alexander Lapshin, who was sentenced to three years in prison in Azerbaijan, the presidential aide replied: “In accordance with the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the issue related to the release and extradition of Lapshin was always on the agenda. The adoption of a relevant decision was delayed just because an appeal was sent too late from the Israeli government. The appeal was received by the Azerbaijani government, and a decision was made against Lapshin.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance