About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
At the moment the documentation work is underway, said the diplomat.
According to Gafarov, there is still no information about the relatives of the children in Azerbaijan.
“We have met those children. We will send them to Azerbaijan in the coming days,” he mentioned.
Referring to the reports that 200 Azerbaijani women were arrested in Iraq on ISIL-linked charges, Gafarov noted that Azerbaijan’s diplomatic mission in Iraq, in conjunction with the Foreign Ministry and Iraqi local authorities, is trying to positively solve this issue.
The diplomat said that lawyers will be hired for the women. “We will try them to be released from detention and sent to Azerbaijan. At present, we are dealing with this issue. Of course, every foreign citizen who violates the laws of another country should be punished, but as the detainees are women, we try to help them being in contact with local Iraqi agencies,” added Gafarov.
Earlier, Iraqi MP Vian Dakhil tweeted that “512 Russian and 200 Azerbaijani women as ISIS members were captured and incarcerated by Iraqi forces.”
Hajiyev said that such statements are not new.
"Facts are being investigated and studied. The Azerbaijani side is in constant contact with the relevant Iraqi authorities through the embassy in Iraq on this issue,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 09.02.2018Ilgar Abbasov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party submits documents to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 12.09.2013US ambassador to Azerbaijan meets CEC chairman
- 12.09.2013CEC registers Jamil Hasanli as presidential candidate
- 12.09.2013ACSDA and PACE to continue exchange of experience
- 12.09.2013New Azerbaijan Party to appeal to CEC against Jamil Hasanli
- 12.09.2013PACE delegation meets with political party leaders of National Council
- 12.09.2013Lebanon keen to protect foreign embassies: minister