VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) has caused uproar in the Azerbaijani parliament.
MP Zahid Oruj said in his speech that Russia’s move is inconceivable, stressing that the VAK liquidation is an Armenian victory over Russia. “I hope the cancellation of registration is not going to be possible,” he said.
Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova noted that this is indicative of Russia’s attitude towards freedom of assembly and its citizens.
“We’re not promoting the Russian language and culture in Azerbaijan in order to please Russia. We’re merely demonstrating an adequate attitude towards anyone living here,” she said.
Muradova said it is wrong to go into details based on fantasies. “It is an internal affair of Russia, and it firstly liquidated the organization of its own citizens. But of course, it causes our concern,” she added.
Muradova went on to say that tolerance prevails in Azerbaijan, and representatives of all nations are treated with respect in the country.
“But of course, we would like to see the same attitude towards Azerbaijanis living in other countries. There are some circles in Russia that do not like Azerbaijanis,” said Muradova, calling the move to liquidate VAK a hostile position against Azerbaijan.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev in his turn noted that there will hardly ever be normal relations between Russia and Azerbaijan as long as Russia is with Armenians.
In his turn, MP Vahid Ahmadov noted that Russia is actually reluctant to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence
“At the same time, they don’t want to accept the independent policy of Azerbaijan’s head of state. As usual, Russia is kind of threatening Azerbaijan. We need to be ready for this. Still, we should not change the attitude towards Russian-speaking people in Azerbaijan. We must be careful about it lest some use this matter against our country,” he added.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017President: No domestic risks in Azerbaijan, possible risks emerge abroad
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Had it been able to maintain its independence, Azerbaijan would be one of world’s most developed countries
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on Republic Day
- 26.05.2017Investigation into Lapshin’s case wraps up
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2017Mahmud Nabiyev awarded title of ‘Honored Lawyer’
- 25.05.2017Abbasali Novruzov awarded Shohrat Order
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held successfully in Baku
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 26.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK