VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) has caused uproar in the Azerbaijani parliament.
MP Zahid Oruj said in his speech that Russia’s move is inconceivable, stressing that the VAK liquidation is an Armenian victory over Russia. “I hope the cancellation of registration is not going to be possible,” he said.
Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova noted that this is indicative of Russia’s attitude towards freedom of assembly and its citizens.
“We’re not promoting the Russian language and culture in Azerbaijan in order to please Russia. We’re merely demonstrating an adequate attitude towards anyone living here,” she said.
Muradova said it is wrong to go into details based on fantasies. “It is an internal affair of Russia, and it firstly liquidated the organization of its own citizens. But of course, it causes our concern,” she added.
Muradova went on to say that tolerance prevails in Azerbaijan, and representatives of all nations are treated with respect in the country.
“But of course, we would like to see the same attitude towards Azerbaijanis living in other countries. There are some circles in Russia that do not like Azerbaijanis,” said Muradova, calling the move to liquidate VAK a hostile position against Azerbaijan.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev in his turn noted that there will hardly ever be normal relations between Russia and Azerbaijan as long as Russia is with Armenians.
In his turn, MP Vahid Ahmadov noted that Russia is actually reluctant to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence
“At the same time, they don’t want to accept the independent policy of Azerbaijan’s head of state. As usual, Russia is kind of threatening Azerbaijan. We need to be ready for this. Still, we should not change the attitude towards Russian-speaking people in Azerbaijan. We must be careful about it lest some use this matter against our country,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK