VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) has caused uproar in the Azerbaijani parliament.
MP Zahid Oruj said in his speech that Russia’s move is inconceivable, stressing that the VAK liquidation is an Armenian victory over Russia. “I hope the cancellation of registration is not going to be possible,” he said.
Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova noted that this is indicative of Russia’s attitude towards freedom of assembly and its citizens.
“We’re not promoting the Russian language and culture in Azerbaijan in order to please Russia. We’re merely demonstrating an adequate attitude towards anyone living here,” she said.
Muradova said it is wrong to go into details based on fantasies. “It is an internal affair of Russia, and it firstly liquidated the organization of its own citizens. But of course, it causes our concern,” she added.
Muradova went on to say that tolerance prevails in Azerbaijan, and representatives of all nations are treated with respect in the country.
“But of course, we would like to see the same attitude towards Azerbaijanis living in other countries. There are some circles in Russia that do not like Azerbaijanis,” said Muradova, calling the move to liquidate VAK a hostile position against Azerbaijan.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev in his turn noted that there will hardly ever be normal relations between Russia and Azerbaijan as long as Russia is with Armenians.
In his turn, MP Vahid Ahmadov noted that Russia is actually reluctant to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence
“At the same time, they don’t want to accept the independent policy of Azerbaijan’s head of state. As usual, Russia is kind of threatening Azerbaijan. We need to be ready for this. Still, we should not change the attitude towards Russian-speaking people in Azerbaijan. We must be careful about it lest some use this matter against our country,” he added.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan parliament begins discussion of 2018 state budget package
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK