VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) has caused uproar in the Azerbaijani parliament.
MP Zahid Oruj said in his speech that Russia’s move is inconceivable, stressing that the VAK liquidation is an Armenian victory over Russia. “I hope the cancellation of registration is not going to be possible,” he said.
Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova noted that this is indicative of Russia’s attitude towards freedom of assembly and its citizens.
“We’re not promoting the Russian language and culture in Azerbaijan in order to please Russia. We’re merely demonstrating an adequate attitude towards anyone living here,” she said.
Muradova said it is wrong to go into details based on fantasies. “It is an internal affair of Russia, and it firstly liquidated the organization of its own citizens. But of course, it causes our concern,” she added.
Muradova went on to say that tolerance prevails in Azerbaijan, and representatives of all nations are treated with respect in the country.
“But of course, we would like to see the same attitude towards Azerbaijanis living in other countries. There are some circles in Russia that do not like Azerbaijanis,” said Muradova, calling the move to liquidate VAK a hostile position against Azerbaijan.
MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev in his turn noted that there will hardly ever be normal relations between Russia and Azerbaijan as long as Russia is with Armenians.
In his turn, MP Vahid Ahmadov noted that Russia is actually reluctant to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence
“At the same time, they don’t want to accept the independent policy of Azerbaijan’s head of state. As usual, Russia is kind of threatening Azerbaijan. We need to be ready for this. Still, we should not change the attitude towards Russian-speaking people in Azerbaijan. We must be careful about it lest some use this matter against our country,” he added.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 18.04.2018Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan resigns
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits National Flag Square
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev held - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Date set for inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms April 11 presidential election results - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to amend media rules in conditions of martial law
- 16.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ramiz Mehdiyev “Shohrat” Order
- 16.04.2018Plenum of Azerbaijani Constitutional Court on election results to be held tomorrow
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijan's CEC sums up presidential election results
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijani MP Astan Shahverdiyev passes away
- 15.04.2018Azerbajiani presidential election results cancelled at 4 polling stations
- 14.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to summarize presidential election results on April 15
- 14.04.2018About 1,000 people attend National Council’s rally - UPDATED
- 13.04.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: OSCE/ODIHR statement on Azerbaijan election ‘completely biased’
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani official: Some members of ODIHR mission only engaged in contacts with opposition
- 13.04.2018Vugar Ahmadov: Azerbaijan election report by OSCE/ODIHR ‘pre-prepared’
- 13.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "No outside force can make us turn from this path"
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "I always rely on the support of the Azerbaijani people"
- 12.04.2018“They showed disrespect to the will of the Azerbaijani people" - OPINION
- 12.04.2018Siyavush Novruzov: We should throw their reports at airport so they can take them along when they leave
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Czech ambassador
- 12.04.2018ECR mission: Presidential election in Azerbaijan held in accord with national legislation
- 12.04.2018Baku Mayor's Office authorizes National Council to hold rally
- 12.04.2018Zahid Oruj congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Italian observer: No restrictions on int’l observers during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan was free: Freedom and Democracy Fund
- 01.12.2006Sergey Kuznetsov: Venice commission and Azerbaijan to discuss Election Code
- 01.12.2006OSCE leadership, Political and Monitoring Committee representatives to visit Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2006Elmar Mammadyarov: Constitution referendum in Nagorno Karabakh is aimed at damaging peace process
- 01.12.2006Prosecutor General and Economic Development Minister receives delegation of Igdir region
- 01.12.2006Milli Majlis to discuss forming of Central Election Commission
- 01.12.2006Press conference held on annual activity of Milli Majlis