99 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
Today, September 15, marks the 99th anniversary of the liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation.
On September 15, 1918, the Caucasian Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha and the Azerbaijani body released Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation, securing the independence of Azerbaijan and putting an end to the occupation of Baku and surrounding areas by the Armenians and Bolsheviks.
The liberation of Baku from the Armenian-Bolshevik occupation is one of the most valiant pages of Azerbaijan’s history of the twentieth century. Ottoman Turkey, despite its difficult situation, to restore the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan sent here Caucasus Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha.
Despite protests from European countries to the arrival of Turkish troops in Azerbaijan, in August-September 1918, Ottoman Turkey didn’t deny its help and honestly fulfilled its historic mission. The Caucasian Islamic Army, by successfully completing the September 15 mission, cleared Baku off invaders and contributed to Azerbaijan’s statehood. After the historic victory, the capital of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic was moved from Ganja to Baku on September 17, which started the main stage of state-building in Azerbaijan.
The liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation caused real holiday. Famous millionaire and well-doer Haji Zeynalabdin Tagiyev organized a solemn banquet in honor of the Turkish army. The banquet was held at present Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall. Taghiyev made presents to Nuru Pasha and his heroic warlords. But they were obliged to leave Baku after a short time as a result of increasing pressure of Antanta states on the Ottoman Turkish Empire.
The liberation of Baku on September 15, 1918 is a great event in Azerbaijani-Turkish brotherly and friendly relations. The Azerbaijani nation has never forgotten Turkish soldier and immortalized him.
The Ottoman army during the operation to free the Baku lost 1,130 soldiers. Every year on September 15, the graves of Turkish soldiers, who died for the territorial integrity of our country, are visited not only in Baku, but also in Shamakhi, Goychay and other regions, a commemorative event is held in front of the monument erected in honor of Turkish soldiers at the Alley of Martyrs. The fraternal help the Turkish army offered will never be forgotten and will always be remembered with gratitude of the people of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 01.06.2018MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go