99 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
Today, September 15, marks the 99th anniversary of the liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation.
On September 15, 1918, the Caucasian Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha and the Azerbaijani body released Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation, securing the independence of Azerbaijan and putting an end to the occupation of Baku and surrounding areas by the Armenians and Bolsheviks.
The liberation of Baku from the Armenian-Bolshevik occupation is one of the most valiant pages of Azerbaijan’s history of the twentieth century. Ottoman Turkey, despite its difficult situation, to restore the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan sent here Caucasus Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha.
Despite protests from European countries to the arrival of Turkish troops in Azerbaijan, in August-September 1918, Ottoman Turkey didn’t deny its help and honestly fulfilled its historic mission. The Caucasian Islamic Army, by successfully completing the September 15 mission, cleared Baku off invaders and contributed to Azerbaijan’s statehood. After the historic victory, the capital of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic was moved from Ganja to Baku on September 17, which started the main stage of state-building in Azerbaijan.
The liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation caused real holiday. Famous millionaire and well-doer Haji Zeynalabdin Tagiyev organized a solemn banquet in honor of the Turkish army. The banquet was held at present Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall. Taghiyev made presents to Nuru Pasha and his heroic warlords. But they were obliged to leave Baku after a short time as a result of increasing pressure of Antanta states on the Ottoman Turkish Empire.
The liberation of Baku on September 15, 1918 is a great event in Azerbaijani-Turkish brotherly and friendly relations. The Azerbaijani nation has never forgotten Turkish soldier and immortalized him.
The Ottoman army during the operation to free the Baku lost 1,130 soldiers. Every year on September 15, the graves of Turkish soldiers, who died for the territorial integrity of our country, are visited not only in Baku, but also in Shamakhi, Goychay and other regions, a commemorative event is held in front of the monument erected in honor of Turkish soldiers at the Alley of Martyrs. The fraternal help the Turkish army offered will never be forgotten and will always be remembered with gratitude of the people of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go