99 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
Today, September 15, marks the 99th anniversary of the liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation.
On September 15, 1918, the Caucasian Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha and the Azerbaijani body released Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation, securing the independence of Azerbaijan and putting an end to the occupation of Baku and surrounding areas by the Armenians and Bolsheviks.
The liberation of Baku from the Armenian-Bolshevik occupation is one of the most valiant pages of Azerbaijan’s history of the twentieth century. Ottoman Turkey, despite its difficult situation, to restore the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan sent here Caucasus Islamic Army led by Nuru Pasha.
Despite protests from European countries to the arrival of Turkish troops in Azerbaijan, in August-September 1918, Ottoman Turkey didn’t deny its help and honestly fulfilled its historic mission. The Caucasian Islamic Army, by successfully completing the September 15 mission, cleared Baku off invaders and contributed to Azerbaijan’s statehood. After the historic victory, the capital of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic was moved from Ganja to Baku on September 17, which started the main stage of state-building in Azerbaijan.
The liberation of Baku from the bolshevik-dashnak occupation caused real holiday. Famous millionaire and well-doer Haji Zeynalabdin Tagiyev organized a solemn banquet in honor of the Turkish army. The banquet was held at present Azerbaijan State Philharmonic Hall. Taghiyev made presents to Nuru Pasha and his heroic warlords. But they were obliged to leave Baku after a short time as a result of increasing pressure of Antanta states on the Ottoman Turkish Empire.
The liberation of Baku on September 15, 1918 is a great event in Azerbaijani-Turkish brotherly and friendly relations. The Azerbaijani nation has never forgotten Turkish soldier and immortalized him.
The Ottoman army during the operation to free the Baku lost 1,130 soldiers. Every year on September 15, the graves of Turkish soldiers, who died for the territorial integrity of our country, are visited not only in Baku, but also in Shamakhi, Goychay and other regions, a commemorative event is held in front of the monument erected in honor of Turkish soldiers at the Alley of Martyrs. The fraternal help the Turkish army offered will never be forgotten and will always be remembered with gratitude of the people of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go