14th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
The 14th International Baku Conference of Ombudsmen, titled “Fundamental Principles of Sustainable Development Goals: Equality, National Priorities and Cooperation”, kicked off in Azerbaijan's capital on Friday.
Azerbaijani Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsman) Elmira Suleymanova gave detailed information about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
She said stability, human rights and freedoms are well ensured in Azerbaijan, noting that despite being independent an ombudsperson closely cooperates with legislative, executive, and judicial bodies as well as with NGOs.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that it is essential that the countries joining this global initiative have necessary resources in order for them to achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
Hasanov assessed Ilham Aliyev’s presidential activities from conceptual standpoint, calling the modern period “the period of continuous reforms and modernization.”
He added that the current period marked the transition from social economy into a new system. Hasanov said this period is particularly marked with the realization of Sustainable Development Goals.
“In the first place, it’s worth mentioning that poverty declined from 49% to 5% and unemployment fell from 50% to 5%,” said the presidential aide.
According to Hasanov, solving the problems of about a million refugees and internally displaced persons, improving the infrastructure, increasing the level of social protection and social services, paying attention to environmental problems and other indicators should be seen as a great success in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
He hailed great success the Azerbaijani state achieved in the sphere of ensuring the rights and freedoms of citizens, the development of civil society.
Hasanov said that the concepts of development, programs and projects developed in Azerbaijan are brought into line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
“This shows that the Azerbaijani state is building its policy taking into account global challenges,” the presidential aide added.
Addressing the conference, the deputy speaker of Azerbaijan’s parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that the parliament attaches great importance to cooperation with the Ombudsman’s Office.
“Azerbaijan was subjected to military aggression by Armenia. However, the country did not retreat a step from its position and urged other states to observe the norms of international law,” she added.
UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan Ghulam Isaczai said in speech that Azerbaijan’s Constitution and international agreements signed by Azerbaijan express support for the protection of human rights.
Several plenary sessions will be held as part of the conference.
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan parliament begins discussion of 2018 state budget package
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges