14th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
The 14th International Baku Conference of Ombudsmen, titled “Fundamental Principles of Sustainable Development Goals: Equality, National Priorities and Cooperation”, kicked off in Azerbaijan's capital on Friday.
Azerbaijani Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsman) Elmira Suleymanova gave detailed information about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
She said stability, human rights and freedoms are well ensured in Azerbaijan, noting that despite being independent an ombudsperson closely cooperates with legislative, executive, and judicial bodies as well as with NGOs.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that it is essential that the countries joining this global initiative have necessary resources in order for them to achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
Hasanov assessed Ilham Aliyev’s presidential activities from conceptual standpoint, calling the modern period “the period of continuous reforms and modernization.”
He added that the current period marked the transition from social economy into a new system. Hasanov said this period is particularly marked with the realization of Sustainable Development Goals.
“In the first place, it’s worth mentioning that poverty declined from 49% to 5% and unemployment fell from 50% to 5%,” said the presidential aide.
According to Hasanov, solving the problems of about a million refugees and internally displaced persons, improving the infrastructure, increasing the level of social protection and social services, paying attention to environmental problems and other indicators should be seen as a great success in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
He hailed great success the Azerbaijani state achieved in the sphere of ensuring the rights and freedoms of citizens, the development of civil society.
Hasanov said that the concepts of development, programs and projects developed in Azerbaijan are brought into line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
“This shows that the Azerbaijani state is building its policy taking into account global challenges,” the presidential aide added.
Addressing the conference, the deputy speaker of Azerbaijan’s parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that the parliament attaches great importance to cooperation with the Ombudsman’s Office.
“Azerbaijan was subjected to military aggression by Armenia. However, the country did not retreat a step from its position and urged other states to observe the norms of international law,” she added.
UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan Ghulam Isaczai said in speech that Azerbaijan’s Constitution and international agreements signed by Azerbaijan express support for the protection of human rights.
Several plenary sessions will be held as part of the conference.
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges