14th Int’l Baku Conference of Ombudsmen kicks off
The 14th International Baku Conference of Ombudsmen, titled “Fundamental Principles of Sustainable Development Goals: Equality, National Priorities and Cooperation”, kicked off in Azerbaijan's capital on Friday.
Azerbaijani Human Rights Commissioner (Ombudsman) Elmira Suleymanova gave detailed information about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
She said stability, human rights and freedoms are well ensured in Azerbaijan, noting that despite being independent an ombudsperson closely cooperates with legislative, executive, and judicial bodies as well as with NGOs.
The Azerbaijani president's aide for public and political affairs, Ali Hasanov, said in his speech that it is essential that the countries joining this global initiative have necessary resources in order for them to achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
Hasanov assessed Ilham Aliyev’s presidential activities from conceptual standpoint, calling the modern period “the period of continuous reforms and modernization.”
He added that the current period marked the transition from social economy into a new system. Hasanov said this period is particularly marked with the realization of Sustainable Development Goals.
“In the first place, it’s worth mentioning that poverty declined from 49% to 5% and unemployment fell from 50% to 5%,” said the presidential aide.
According to Hasanov, solving the problems of about a million refugees and internally displaced persons, improving the infrastructure, increasing the level of social protection and social services, paying attention to environmental problems and other indicators should be seen as a great success in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
He hailed great success the Azerbaijani state achieved in the sphere of ensuring the rights and freedoms of citizens, the development of civil society.
Hasanov said that the concepts of development, programs and projects developed in Azerbaijan are brought into line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
“This shows that the Azerbaijani state is building its policy taking into account global challenges,” the presidential aide added.
Addressing the conference, the deputy speaker of Azerbaijan’s parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that the parliament attaches great importance to cooperation with the Ombudsman’s Office.
“Azerbaijan was subjected to military aggression by Armenia. However, the country did not retreat a step from its position and urged other states to observe the norms of international law,” she added.
UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan Ghulam Isaczai said in speech that Azerbaijan’s Constitution and international agreements signed by Azerbaijan express support for the protection of human rights.
Several plenary sessions will be held as part of the conference.
- 24.02.2018CEC: Interesting people may apply and familiar with candidates’ documents
- 24.02.2018CEC approves more two candidates’ nomination for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Large-scale pardoning expected in Azerbaijan – parl’t speaker
- 23.02.2018No political prisoners in Azerbaijan, says MP
- 23.02.2018Next plenary session of Azerbaijani parliament begins
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan's ruling party submits voter signatures to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidency
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan names director of newly-established State Advertising Agency
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “Today Azerbaijan is the center of multiculturalism on the planet”
- 22.06.2017Russian diplomat appointed UN counter-terrorism head
- 15.06.2017Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: The day will come when Azerbaijani flag will be waving in Shusha
- 14.06.2017Baku Stock Exchange quits Federation of European and Asian Stock Exchanges