Thirteen years pass since Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev died
Thirteen years have passed since Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev died.
On that day, commemorative events are organized in all districts of Azerbaijan, as well as in the capital Baku. Representatives of government agencies, political parties, nongovernmental organizations, media outlets, as well as the people of Azerbaijan visit Heydar Aliyev’s grave at the Alley of Honor.
Azerbaijani Diaspora organizations will also organize commemorative events on the 13th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death.
Heydar Alirza oglu Aliyev was born on 10 May 1923 in Nakhchivan. In 1944 was sent to work at the state security bodies. Heydar Aliyev, working since that time in the security bodies, since 1964 held the post of deputy chairman, and since 1967 - chairman of the Committee of State Security under the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic, and he was conferred the rank of major general. In these years, he received special higher education in Leningrad (now St Petersburg), and in 1957, he graduated from the history department of Azerbaijan State University. Being elected at the Plenum of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan in July 1969 as the First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev heads the Republic. In October 1987, Heydar Aliyev, as a sign of protest against the policy pursued by Politburo of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and personally the Secretary General Michael Gorbachev, resigned from his post.
In bound with the tragedy, committed on 20 January 1990 in Baku by the soviet troops, appearing on the next day at the Azerbaijan Representation in Moscow with a statement, demanded to punish the organizers and executors of the crime, committed against the people of Azerbaijan. As a sign of protest against the hypocritical policy of leadership of the USSR, in connection with the critical conflict accrued in Nagorno Karabakh, in July 1991, he left the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. By return in July 1990 to Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev has lived at first in Baku, then in Nakhchivan, and on the same year he was elected as the Deputy to the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan. In 1991-1993s, he held the post of Chairman of the Supreme Mejlis of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In 1992, at the constituent congress of the "Yeni Azerbaijan" Party in Nakhchivan, Heydar Aliyev, was elected as the Chairman of the Party.
On 15 June 1993, Heydar Aliyev was elected as the Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan, and on 24 July - on resolution of the Milli Mejlis, he managed to fulfill powers of the President of Azerbaijan Republic. On October 3, 1993, as the result of nationwide voting, Heydar Aliyev was elected as the President of Azerbaijan Republic. On October 11, 1998, having garnered at the elections, passed in high activeness of the population, 76,1 percent of the votes, he was re-elected as the President of Azerbaijan Republic. Heydar Aliyev, giving his consent to be nominated as a candidate at the 15 October 2003 presidential elections, Heydar Aliyev relinquished to run at the elections in connection with health problems.
On December 12, 2003 national leader of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev passed away in Cleveland hospital in the United States of America.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan parliament begins discussion of 2018 state budget package
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Hadi Rajabli with order
- 28.10.2017National Council holds rally
- 27.10.2017Amendments to draft law on institution of legal representation in Azerbaijani courts revealed
- 27.10.2017Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Shabran
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president pays tribute to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.12.2016IS militants besiege airbase near Syria's Palmyra
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat:
- 10.12.2016Gabala hosting 10th meeting attended by former presidents and PMs
- 10.12.2016OSCE MG needs cardinal changes in its activity – Deputy PM