Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
Ukraine’s Verkhovna Rada hosted Tuesday a meeting of the Congress of European Azerbaijan and the Ukraine-Azerbaijan interparliamentary working group.
The meeting was attended by leaders of Azerbaijani communities in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Estonia and other European countries, APA reported.
Addressing the meeting, the head of the Ukraine-Azerbaijan interparliamentary working group, Maxim Kuryachiy, hailed the activities of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Ukraine’s socio-political life.
“Over 20 million Ukrainians worldwide represent our diaspora. We are establishing our diaspora, and we need the support of the Azerbaijani diaspora which has been functioning for over 20 years throughout the world,” he said.
The industrial, economic and political relations between Ukraine and Azerbaijan are rapidly developing, said Kuryachiy, stressing that the role of the Azerbaijani diaspora in this is undeniable.
He said that both Ukraine and Azerbaijan suffer from the occupation. “We have common problems. The territory of Azerbaijan, like that of Ukraine, is under occupation. Our countries suffer from separatism.”
Kuryachiy went on to say that Azerbaijani President is expected to pay a visit to Ukraine by the end of this year.
“We are looking forward to this visit. Several important documents for our countries will be signed during this visit, and they are currently under development,” he said.
The president of the Congress of European Azerbaijanis, Sahil Gasimov, said in his speech that nearly half a million Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine is a considerable force in Europe, noting that this factor is very important for Azerbaijanis Europe-wide to unite around a common force.
"We have always shown mutual support with Ukrainians in Europe. The problems Ukraine has been facing in recent years are not being neglected by to Azerbaijanis living in Europe. On the contrary, these problems are being approached with more sensitivity. So we expect the same sensitivity from Ukrainians and Ukrainian officials for Azerbaijan's interests,” he added.
Gasimov spoke about the proposals about future joint activities of the Azerbaijani and Ukrainian diasporas in Europe.
Rovshan Tagiyev, vice president of the Congress of European Azerbaijanis and chairman of the United Congress of Ukrainian Azerbaijanis, in his speech spoke about diaspora activities in providing humanitarian aid to the people hurt in battles taking place in eastern Ukraine. He also voiced his demands about the Verkhovna Rada on behalf of Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine.
“Our country has been facing smear campaigns from some European circles. Of course, it all stems from the Armenian lobby’s support. Ukrainian MPs represented in European institutions must demonstrate their stance against these anti-Azerbaijan smear campaigns. That’s what we expect,” Tagiyev added.
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia