Panel on Ukraine crisis held as part of IV Global Baku Forum - UPDATED
Francis Martin O'Donnell, president of the Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS), who acted as the moderator for the panel, said that he had never expected the situation in Ukraine would ever change this much.
He said that the world has witnessed the annexation of a part of Ukraine.
“We see how big countries influence small countries. The situation in Ukraine is tragic, close to 10,000 people got killed, and the economy is on the brink of collapse,” he noted. “The situation in Russia is not good, either. While we are thinking about “what role can the international community play?” the UN Security Council and the OSCE come to mind. These organizations may play a big part in the settlement of this conflict,” the IRIS president said.
Addressing the panel, former President of Poland Bronisław Komorowski said that Crimea and Donbas problems didn’t arise all of a sudden and they are based on very complicated historical processes.
According to him, conflicts can always occur among neighbors and this [Ukraine crisis] is a test for Ukraine, the West, the European Union and Russia. “One should answer a number of questions – Whether the West is ready to resolve these conflicts? Or how will Russia act in future? How long will Russia adhere to these principles? How long will Russia exert pressure on its neighbors to subjugate them and establish an empire?,” he added.
Deputy Foreign Minister of Romania Daniel Ionita, who made a speech during the panel, said these conflicts affect the security of Europe. “The Nagorno-Karabakh and South Ossetian conflicts still remain unsolved. Therefore, all resources should be used to resolve these conflicts,” he noted.
The Ukrainian crisis must be resolved within the territorial integrity of Ukraine, Daniel Ionita said, stressing that all parties must honor commitments.
Addressing the panel, former Prime Minister of Ireland Bertie Ahern underlined a need to prevent human suffering and deaths.
According to him, the effects of all conflicts in the world are similar.
“There is a need for assistance of other countries and organizations in the resolution of the Russian-Ukrainian conflict. The EU and other organizations may make great contributions to this work,” he added.
Former Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko, in his speech at the panel, said Ukraine has always acted in line with the Budapest Memorandum.
“We thought that this document ensures our territorial integrity. However, Russia violated its commitments,” he said. “You offer to reach a compromise. Is collective security good for Europe, but not for Ukraine? What should Ukraine do to ensure its territorial integrity and sovereignty? We know that there are such mechanisms, but they don’t depend on Ukraine. We are ready to move forward. I will respect Ukraine’s relations with Russia, if the latter is respectful to my country and my people…”
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 11.03.2016Former Lebanese PM: Iran won’t be able to maintain upper hand in Arab world
- 11.03.2016Europe avoids solution to migrant crisis – top Azerbaijani official
- 26.03.2016Ukraine initiates criminal case against LPR prosecutor general
- 10.03.2016Direct dialogue needed between Kiev, Donbass – former Russian PM
- 10.03.2016All conflicts first created then frozen, says Ukraine’s ex-president
- 10.03.2016Russian factor stands out in Europe’s destabilization – Ukraine’s ex-president