Nazim Ibrahimov: All diaspora problems should not be shouldered on state
Baku. Mubariz Aslanov – APA. Diaspora activities rely on four factors: patriotism, volunteerism, intelligence and finance. Financing is the latest factor here, but without that, it’s impossible to operate efficiently, Chairman of Azerbaijan’s State Committee on Work with Diaspora Nazim Ibrahimov told APA.
“At the same time, if we have patriotism, volunteerism and intelligence it becomes easier to solve the latter,” said Ibrahimov. “Unfortunately, we have such an approach that only the state should provide financial support to diaspora organizations, while the views of other countries are totally different. Such experience cannot be a topic for discussion.”
He emphasized the need for state support to diaspora organizations but outlined that not all problems should be shouldered on state.
“If we wait for all diaspora organizations to be financed by the state, these organizations will not be able to survive independently. Rather we will have created conditions for the emergence of new organizations awaiting the government's financial aid,” added the diaspora leader.
Diaspora organization is a non-governmental organization registered in the country in which it operates, Ibrahimov said noting that if it does not have stable financial sources or cannot get such financial resources, it is impossible for it in practical terms to successfully operate.
“Unfortunately, we often hear some statements as to why the Committee did not support a certain organization or project. Of course, the state can provide and has provided such support to certain organizations or projects. But if we were to finance all organizations and projects proposed, can you imagine how much it would cost to the budget? On the other hand, if any Azerbaijani or diaspora organization wants to do something for the country, they should not give up their desire because of the state not financing it,” he said.
Ibrahimov noted that there are more than 460 Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in the world today.
“There is no country where Azerbaijani diaspora organizations operate except that our diaspora organizations react to any issue regarding Azerbaijan’s national interests as it arises. At the same time, any call from the Azerbaijani state meets immediate reaction,” added the diaspora head.
According to him, a diaspora activity is a voluntary work, and here, no one can be forced to take any step.
“Each does what they are able to, and therefore they shouldn’t be accused but thanked. Of course, the historical experience of the Azerbaijani diaspora is not like that of other countries, because our diaspora movement emerged about 25 years ago. The history of other peoples’ diaspora activity covers centuries. They are already sufficiently integrated into society in which they live. For 25 years, the Azerbaijani diaspora had to pass the way that other countries’ diasporas passed for centuries,” he said.
Ibrahimov outlined another important aspect.
“There are some countries that create different opportunities for diaspora organizations. Those countries have their own political interests, and some diasporas need to be powerful to make agile maneuvers in diplomacy and ensure their political interests. As a civil servant, I shouldn’t mention a name, but you probably know what I mean”, he added.
Asked about the crimes committed against Azerbaijanis in Ukraine, the diaspora leader said the matter is in the spotlight of the Azerbaijani state.
“The State Committee is also focused on the matter. We get information from diaspora organizations and diaspora activists about each incident and take necessary steps to investigate the issue or solve arising problems within the scope of our powers. However, as I mentioned, within the scope of powers. There are some issues which go beyond our powers and are more related to the powers of law enforcement authorities or diplomatic missions. These situations, of course, should be taken into account,” he said.
Asked if it was possible to solve the problems that arose recently within the Azerbaijani Diaspora in Russia – in the Azerros Russian Congress of Azerbaijanis, Ibrahimov said:
"Russia is home to one of the largest Azerbaijani communities and the biggest diaspora organizations also operate in this country. You and the public know that at some point there were some problems. The State Committee also expressed its position in relation to these issues many times. We believe that those times are over. Now our position is that the Azerbaijani diaspora in Russia should be stronger and more cohesive. Because Russia is a specific state that is a neighbor and a partner of Azerbaijan and has vast influence in the international relations system. At the same time, as I noted earlier, the largest contingent of the Azerbaijani diaspora is based in this country. For us, activities of the Azerbaijani diaspora in Russia are highly important.”
The diaspora leader goes on say that work is underway to develop an action plan for the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, and specific decisions will be taken after some consultation.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 04.11.2016Armenian provocation prevented during Unity Day march in Moscow
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijani State Committee on Work with Diaspora to get new power over assistance to nationals living abroad
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijanis establishing online center in Kiev for ethnic nationalities
- 29.10.2016Ilham Aliyev congratulates Turkish president
- 26.10.2016ANU calls on OSCE not to remain indifferent to military aggression against Ukraine, Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2016Washington hosts conference on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence