National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine: Azerbaijan’s occupied lands should be returned
The president of the National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine, Ashot Avanesyan, has commented on reports alleging that he is a business partner of the chairman of the United Congress of Azerbaijanis in Ukraine, Rovshan Taghiyev, as well as the fact that they made a joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh during the New Year's Eve celebration in Kiev.
Speaking to APA on Monday, Avanesyan said the celebration was not organized by the Armenians, but by representatives of different nations living in Ukraine.
Avanesyan noted that he was the only Armenian who took part in the event organized in Baku restaurant.
He also rejected the rumors about the talks that are harmful to the image of Azerbaijanis were held during the event.
“I’m a cultural figure. Rovshan Tagiyev is a well-known person in Ukraine and a true patriot of his homeland Azerbaijan,” Avanesyan said, adding. “I’ve known him for many years. Such disinformation is aimed at undermining not only his image, but also the reputation of the Azerbaijani diaspora.”
Avanesyan stated his stance as to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, too.
“The National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine supports a peaceful solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” he said. “Ukraine, which we are citizens of, has also suffered from aggression on its territorial integrity. We also raise the issue of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity on a par with this one.”
Azerbaijan's occupied territories should be returned, he stressed.
“We have demanded this several times during our meetings with Armenian officials and MPs,” he said.
“Azerbaijan is my homeland. I was born in Oghuz district. We, as a family, still consider Azerbaijan our homeland,” Avanesyan added. “We support the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity. Armenians also suffer from this conflict. If the war comes to an end and the border is reopened, Armenia will benefit from it economically. This is not only my opinion, but the opinion of many Armenians.”
Related news releases
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 12.01.2017President names body to provide social assistance to low-income Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 19.01.2017Karabakh Collection by Leonie Mergen represented Azerbaijani heritage at Berlin Fashion Week
- 30.01.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Azerbaijan-AJC cooperation will further develop
- 05.01.2017Azerbaijani businessman, his children not allowed to leave separatist-controlled Ukrainian city
- 31.12.2016World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani diaspora often overpowers Armenia’s: committee chairman