National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine: Azerbaijan’s occupied lands should be returned
The president of the National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine, Ashot Avanesyan, has commented on reports alleging that he is a business partner of the chairman of the United Congress of Azerbaijanis in Ukraine, Rovshan Taghiyev, as well as the fact that they made a joint statement on Nagorno-Karabakh during the New Year's Eve celebration in Kiev.
Speaking to APA on Monday, Avanesyan said the celebration was not organized by the Armenians, but by representatives of different nations living in Ukraine.
Avanesyan noted that he was the only Armenian who took part in the event organized in Baku restaurant.
He also rejected the rumors about the talks that are harmful to the image of Azerbaijanis were held during the event.
“I’m a cultural figure. Rovshan Tagiyev is a well-known person in Ukraine and a true patriot of his homeland Azerbaijan,” Avanesyan said, adding. “I’ve known him for many years. Such disinformation is aimed at undermining not only his image, but also the reputation of the Azerbaijani diaspora.”
Avanesyan stated his stance as to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, too.
“The National Congress of Armenians of Ukraine supports a peaceful solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” he said. “Ukraine, which we are citizens of, has also suffered from aggression on its territorial integrity. We also raise the issue of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity on a par with this one.”
Azerbaijan's occupied territories should be returned, he stressed.
“We have demanded this several times during our meetings with Armenian officials and MPs,” he said.
“Azerbaijan is my homeland. I was born in Oghuz district. We, as a family, still consider Azerbaijan our homeland,” Avanesyan added. “We support the restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity. Armenians also suffer from this conflict. If the war comes to an end and the border is reopened, Armenia will benefit from it economically. This is not only my opinion, but the opinion of many Armenians.”
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 12.01.2017President names body to provide social assistance to low-income Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 19.01.2017Karabakh Collection by Leonie Mergen represented Azerbaijani heritage at Berlin Fashion Week
- 30.01.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Azerbaijan-AJC cooperation will further develop
- 05.01.2017Azerbaijani businessman, his children not allowed to leave separatist-controlled Ukrainian city
- 31.12.2016World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani diaspora often overpowers Armenia’s: committee chairman