MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) is one of the last examples of Russia’s attitude towards Azerbaijan, Fazil Mustafa, Azerbaijani MP, Chairman of the Great Establishment Party told APA.
He was commenting on the cancellation by Russia’s Supreme Court of the VAK registration on the suit of the Russian Justice Ministry on May 15.
“Despite Azerbaijan’s efforts to build neighborly relations with Russia, certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account and does not avoid taking the most drastic steps against Azerbaijan,” he said.
Fazil Mustafa noted that these circles merely do not want there to be any organization in Russia serving Azerbaijan’s interests.
“They want VAK to be an organization that is directly controlled from the Kremlin and that fulfills Kremlin’s desires. The Congress has always supported the current government of Russia and never taken any step against the Kremlin. But what seems to be the case is that they desire an organization which is absolutely loyal to them and which speaks out against Azerbaijan. There are differences in views. By having taken such a step, they demonstrated their attitude towards the Azerbaijani state, which is unlikely to develop in positively,” he said.
The MP added: “The Azerbaijani government has already expressed its discontent over the VAK liquidation and the Azerbaijani public is quite sensitive towards this issue. This discontent would probably force Russia to rethink to some extent and it can give up this position.
He stressed that the VAK liquidation is not a legal but a political step.
“If this decision was not politically motivated, the organization which represents an ethnic group in Russia wouldn’t be allowed to be damaged in such way. Taking such a step in a place where over a million Azerbaijanis live is not good for the government. The fulfillment of such a political decision is actually the product of narrow-mindedness,” the MP said.
Speaking to APA of the VAK liquidation, political analyst Gabil Huseynli said that such a step stems from the pro-Armenian position of anti-Azerbaijani forces in Russia which are trying to strain relations between Russia and Azerbaijan.
“Russia has recently given pleasant gifts to Armenia like the creation of a joint Russian-Armenian armed group headed by an Armenians, free provision of Armenia with a large number of modern weapons, including Iskander missiles. As if some dictates Armenia to withdraw from the negotiation process, which is now in a state of stagnation,” he noted.
Huseynli went on to say: “In addition, Armenia further increased military rhetoric and is trying to exasperate Azerbaijan through threats and blackmails. The situation on the frontline remains tense, the settlements of Azerbaijan are under fire. However, our army is giving adequate responses. In other words, Armenia is trying to involve Azerbaijan in a large-scale war through provocations.”
The political analyst said he believes that the VAK liquidation aims to revive and restore AzerRoss, an organization headed by Soyun Sadigov under patronage of Azerbaijan’s former deputy prime minister Abbas Abbasov.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 24.11.2017New Azerbaijani diaspora organization to be created in Russia in stead of closed VAK - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.11.2017Brussels hosts int’l forum on separatism threats to peace, security
- 02.11.2017Fazil Gurbanov: In case of negative decision, we eye to create new organization in place of ARAC - INTERVIEW
- 02.11.2017All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress submits complaint to Presidium of Russian Supreme Court against decision on its liquidation
- 23.10.2017Brussels to host int’l forum on separatism
- 05.10.2017Estonia’s ex-minister of Azerbaijani descent to run for mayor of Narva
- 22.09.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Paris int’l festival
- 19.09.2017Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 13.09.2017Ilhan Akuzum awarded ‘Friendship Order’
- 13.09.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: Smear campaign against Azerbaijan supported by Armenian lobby
- 12.09.2017Verkhovna Rada hosts meeting of reps of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe
- 07.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev bestows Friendship Order upon Mammadali Aghayev
- 31.08.2017Poignant peaceful protest infuriates Armenians
- 21.08.2017Nazim Ibrahimov: VAK liquidation causes discontent among Azerbaijanis in Russia
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 13.07.2017German MP makes statement on killing of two-year-old Azerbaijani girl due to Armenian shelling
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani students hold protests in European countries
- 10.07.2017Karabakh tragedy brought to the steps of Armenian Embassy in London
- 08.07.2017Azerbaijanis protest outside UN headquarters against Armenian atrocities in Alkhanli
- 28.06.2017All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress’s appeal to be considered in September
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No politicians in US administration to deal with Karabakh conflict resolution
- 16.06.2017The All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress filed an appeal against the decision of the Russian Supreme Court
- 23.05.2017Russian State Social University expresses concern over VAK liquidation
- 12.05.2017Anti-Azerbaijani groups in Russia trying hard to liquidate AAC: State Committee
- 12.05.2017Russian court may decide on liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress on May 15
- 10.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in San Diego
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani appointed vice-president of People’s Assembly of Kazakhstan
- 25.04.2017Russian Justice Ministry asks court for time to investigate new documents submitted by All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijanis living in Ukraine appeal to Verkhovna Rada
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: We’re doing a lot to solve problems of Azerbaijanis living abroad
- 11.04.2017Hearing on lawsuit seeking to liquidate All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress postponed
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russia community expresses concern over possible liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community expresses protest over liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 04.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian ambassador - UPDATED
- 04.04.2017UN chief’s possible participation in Baku Forum discussed in New York
- 03.04.2017State Committee comments on reports of liquidation of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 31.03.2017Russian Ministry of Justice appeals to Supreme Court for abolishment of All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan praised as 'Beacon of Religious Tolerance' following visit by children from Atlanta Jewish Academy
- 17.03.2017Khojaly – a heartrending artistic inspiration – highlighted in Paris
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated