MP: Certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account
The liquidation of the All-Russian Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) is one of the last examples of Russia’s attitude towards Azerbaijan, Fazil Mustafa, Azerbaijani MP, Chairman of the Great Establishment Party told APA.
He was commenting on the cancellation by Russia’s Supreme Court of the VAK registration on the suit of the Russian Justice Ministry on May 15.
“Despite Azerbaijan’s efforts to build neighborly relations with Russia, certain circles in Russia do not want to take Azerbaijan’s interests into account and does not avoid taking the most drastic steps against Azerbaijan,” he said.
Fazil Mustafa noted that these circles merely do not want there to be any organization in Russia serving Azerbaijan’s interests.
“They want VAK to be an organization that is directly controlled from the Kremlin and that fulfills Kremlin’s desires. The Congress has always supported the current government of Russia and never taken any step against the Kremlin. But what seems to be the case is that they desire an organization which is absolutely loyal to them and which speaks out against Azerbaijan. There are differences in views. By having taken such a step, they demonstrated their attitude towards the Azerbaijani state, which is unlikely to develop in positively,” he said.
The MP added: “The Azerbaijani government has already expressed its discontent over the VAK liquidation and the Azerbaijani public is quite sensitive towards this issue. This discontent would probably force Russia to rethink to some extent and it can give up this position.
He stressed that the VAK liquidation is not a legal but a political step.
“If this decision was not politically motivated, the organization which represents an ethnic group in Russia wouldn’t be allowed to be damaged in such way. Taking such a step in a place where over a million Azerbaijanis live is not good for the government. The fulfillment of such a political decision is actually the product of narrow-mindedness,” the MP said.
Speaking to APA of the VAK liquidation, political analyst Gabil Huseynli said that such a step stems from the pro-Armenian position of anti-Azerbaijani forces in Russia which are trying to strain relations between Russia and Azerbaijan.
“Russia has recently given pleasant gifts to Armenia like the creation of a joint Russian-Armenian armed group headed by an Armenians, free provision of Armenia with a large number of modern weapons, including Iskander missiles. As if some dictates Armenia to withdraw from the negotiation process, which is now in a state of stagnation,” he noted.
Huseynli went on to say: “In addition, Armenia further increased military rhetoric and is trying to exasperate Azerbaijan through threats and blackmails. The situation on the frontline remains tense, the settlements of Azerbaijan are under fire. However, our army is giving adequate responses. In other words, Armenia is trying to involve Azerbaijan in a large-scale war through provocations.”
The political analyst said he believes that the VAK liquidation aims to revive and restore AzerRoss, an organization headed by Soyun Sadigov under patronage of Azerbaijan’s former deputy prime minister Abbas Abbasov.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Interfaith delegation of Azerbaijan meets elected officials of California
- 18.05.2018Armenian lobby attempts to prevent event dedicated to Azerbaijan’s multifaith harmony and tolerance in San Francisco
- 11.05.2018U.S.-based Azerbaijani diaspora responds to Helsinki Commission statement on April 11 presidential election
- 10.05.2018New book on Azerbaijan published in Los Angeles
- 09.05.2018Staff changes expected at Azerbaijan's State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 07.05.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani diaspora organizations in Europe hold meeting in OSCE ODIHR
- 07.05.2018Fuad Muradov: Some marginalized groups try to destabilize situation in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora addresses Azerbaijanis around the world
- 24.04.2018Ramiz Mehdiyev criticizes activity of State Committee on Work with Diaspora
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish youth march in Tbilisi to protest against “Armenian genocide” rally
- 23.04.2018New chairman of State Committee on Work with Diaspora appointed
- 20.04.2018European Azerbaijanis appeal to international organizations over Armenian provocations
- 11.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Berlin
- 10.04.2018Centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic marked in NYC
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijanis hold solidarity rally in Brussels in connection with presidential election
- 03.04.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Backers of anti-Azerbaijani group are well-known - INTERVIEW
- 26.03.2018"Quiet March" on Day of Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Netherlands
- 14.03.2018Sahil Gasimov: CEA has turned into robust political organization on a global level
- 02.03.2018Mauritius president to visit Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2018Macedonian president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 28.02.2018Turkish PM, FM to visit Azerbaijan in mid-March
- 27.02.2018A panel discussion on the theme "Azerbaijani Diaspora and Azerbaijani Media" held in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Armenians building state on Azerbaijan’s ancestral lands with support foreign backers
- 27.02.2018Congress of European Azerbaijanis holding session in Amsterdam
- 27.02.2018Mass events planned to be held in Europe to mark centenary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 15.02.2018Albanian president due in Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018The European Azerbaijanis presented appeal in the Parliament of Finland in connection with Khojaly
- 08.02.2018'Congress of Russian Azerbaijanis': New diaspora organization to be created in place of ARAC
- 01.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to arrive in Azerbaijan on Feb. 3 - EXCLUSIVE
- 27.01.2018Office of Azerbaijani Diaspora organization attacked in the Netherlands
- 19.01.2018Black January martyrs commemorated in UK Parliament
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 01.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan has its say in global politics – State Committee
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards some people ‘Order of Friendship’
- 27.12.2017Number of deputy chairpersons of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora increased
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Netherlands holds event on Solidarity Day
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijanis in Russia support Putin’s candidacy for post of president
- 28.11.2017Russia's Justice Ministry excludes ARAC from Unified State Register of Legal Entities
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest rally outside European Parliament
- 18.05.2017Photo exhibition devoted to 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic opens in Paris
- 18.05.2017'Ali and Nino' screened in Luxembourg
- 22.05.2017Armenians planning another anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Russia
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan says VAK liquidation contrary to its strategic partnership relations with Russia
- 15.05.2017Russian Supreme Court liquidates registration of "All-Russian Azerbaijan Congress"
- 15.05.2017Ukrainian court: Claim that Dnipro assailants’ leader is an Azerbaijani can only be verified through investigated